What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Caldera Niagara vs. Sundance Optima  (Read 5069 times)

gores95

• '06 Caldera Geneva
Caldera Niagara vs. Sundance Optima
« on: June 30, 2006, 09:07:59 am »
OH NO ANOTHER COMPARISON THREAD!!!!   ;D

OK for those who are following my spa "saga" I think I have narrowed it down to two.  I have wet tested the Niagara and enjoyed it very much.  I did not get to wet test the Optima but did see it yesterday and it looks awesome!  I will try to test it today or this weekend.  Here are my issues:

Niagara would be $8588 "all-in" and would include basically everything except for stereo.  It would be a new 06 model.  I could probably get a hundred or two off that price if I negotiate (and I will!  ;)).

I have seen Optimas for around $10K.  A local dealer has a floor model 06 Optima that has only been wet for about a month.  It is loaded (has stereo) and he would sell it for $9700 again "all-in".  It is also in the exact color my wife likes!  I am hoping he could go down to $9000.  I ABSOLUTELY love the looks of the foot jets in the Optima.  I am a runner and this dome looks tremendous.  Obviously trying it out is key.

When we started looking at spas we were looking at the Sovereign, Moorea, Bahia...all spas $6K-7500.  The more we look the more expensive spas we are considering.  I had better buy one soon or we will end up with a $20K Cal Spa!  :o

Bottom line for all those who have tried both these models...is the Optima worth the extra $1K or so?  The Niagara is the Utopia series of Caleras line...the high end model.  And the Optima is even more expensive than the Utopian series.  I know ultimately wet testing will decide but if I can get a loaded Niagara for $8300 or a loaded Optima for $9K would you consider this a good deal?  Anyone test both and have any opinions?  Also the Niagara has this jet in the foot well called a Euphoria jet (volcano jet).  One very powerful, large jet that you can use on your feet, calves, etc.  The Optima's foot jets look like regular jets.  Does it also have a volcano jet in the tub somewhere?

So much money to be spending on a tub and I go back and forth in my head.  I am sure once I wet test the Optima things will be clearer.  I hope anyway!

Thanks,

Marc

« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 09:20:07 am by gores95 »

Hot Tub Forum

Caldera Niagara vs. Sundance Optima
« on: June 30, 2006, 09:07:59 am »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Caldera Niagara vs. Sundance Optima
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 09:34:27 am »
I'm thinking that you may be able to get an Optima, probably without stereo for close to the price of the Niagra.  The stereo in the Optima has a retail price of about $1000, so if you lop that off your $9700 Optima, you're in the ballpark.  

I'd try out the Optima to see for sure it you like it, and then get the best deal you can on which ever spa you like best.  

Don't let a couple hundred dollars one way or another get in your way.  

You'll regret not getting exactly what you want much longer than you'll regret spending an extra couple hundred bucks to get it.

Brewman

sandiego

• Caldera Spa Dealer for 30 years
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 02:14:34 am »
I've never wet tested an optima but I can tell you that when customers test them we usually win out.

I would also say that if you are a runner that the euphoria jet will do wonders for your hamstrings, calfs and thighs. Feet jets are nice, but that "volcano" jet provides a tremendous level of massage for those large muscles of the lower body.

The optima is a great spa, don' t get me wrong, but you should definatley test both brands and see for yourself.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 11:37:14 am »
Both are good spas.  Prices you are quoting are fair.  Either would be a good decision.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

vlady

• 05 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 01:58:04 pm »
I have a Sundance Cameo which, I think is the Optima with a lounger.  You can adjust the diverter valve to where all of the flow will go to the foot dome so keep that in mind when you wet test.

Like everyone else said before, both are good spas so you can't go wrong.  Just go with the one that "feels" the best to you.

Good luck in your search!

anne

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 02:51:06 pm »
Sounds like they are both quality units, so it is down to wet test and instinct.

If you like the more expensive one better, then look at the REAL difference over the course of many years. Sounds like you are comparing roughly $8300 to $9000. Just for kicks, say it is a 1k difference- hopefully, it'll be less.

1k spent on something that should last about 10 years:

$100/year or $8.30/month or $0.28 day for the one you like better. Makes sense to me IF you are going to be happier in that tub.

I can also be devil's advocate and argue that the $1000 saved now could be invested at 10% and you'd have $2700 in 10 years. I think I'd rather have th preferred tub, IF it made me that much happier.

Good luck!
Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 02:51:06 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42