What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Muriatic Acid  (Read 10681 times)

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Muriatic Acid
« on: June 29, 2006, 02:54:43 pm »
 I need to change my spa water soon, and my tap water is very high in alkalinity.  To get the alk in range, I have to add a lot of Ph Decreaser.  We're talking 25 ounces, give or take.  I'd like to not have to add so much stuff to the water.  

Would muriatic acid have the same effect as I'm getting with Ph decreaser?  (lowering the alkalinity along with Ph?)  

I'm aware of the dangers and risks of using this stuff, just wondering if it'd work.  

Thanks

Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

Muriatic Acid
« on: June 29, 2006, 02:54:43 pm »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
Re: Muriatic Acid
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 07:35:13 am »
Anyone, Anyone, Bueller, Bueller?

Is this thing on?

Guess I'll be the crash test dummy on this one.  I'll rig up an experiment outside the spa and see what happens.  
Brewman

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 08:21:19 am »
Hey Brewman,

I've never used muriatic acid but from what I've read I believe it'll work and I also believe it's more potent. Since your aware of the possible problems .... I think you will be fine.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 08:27:07 am »
Safety Glasses...I know, It's a mother thing...but really wear safety glasses, sun glasses some kind of eye protection. My friend splashed some in her eye adding it to a pool....it's not a friendly chemical. It will surely lower your pH, but be so careful using it.  ;)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Chris_H

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 10:13:35 am »
Brewman,

For a lowering alkalinity in a pool it is great and cheap, but for a spa I would just recommend against it.  It is just too potent.  For example, if you added accidentally 1 extra ounce it could really affect your water negatively.  

However, if you chose to use it – I believe one gallon of muriatic acid is equivalent to 11-12 pounds of PH decreaser.  So you would probably only need 4 ounces.  

Chris

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 10:25:05 am »
 Thanks for the feedback everyone.  
I'll see how it goes if I decide to use the stuff.

If I do decide to use it, I'll carefully add small amounts over time, testing the water along the way.

Happy 4th, everyone!

Brewman

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006, 10:27:21 am »
And you will wear your glasses.... ;D
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2006, 01:47:09 pm »
When in retail and dealing with people that were on well water that had very high alk (400+), we would always recommend muriatic acid. When used corretly, it will work great by lowering alk much quicker, not effcting TDS as much as a dry acid and being far more cost friendly.

This should be used to get alk close to range where a pH decreaser in a powder form should be used from that point to "baby it" into the correct range. Give it a couple days for the pH to rebound and adjust as needed from there.

As mentioned, just be careful with it. ;) Gloves are recommended!

Steve

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2006, 02:30:37 pm »
This acid is a common purchase in Pool places?  Fortunately my alk/OH tend to run pretty together.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Chris_H

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2006, 02:43:10 pm »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2006, 08:55:19 pm »
I found a gallon jug of the stuff at the local big box (Fleet Farm) for under $3/gallon.  It was in the paint department.  I've seen it a ton of times, just never noticed it.  Near the TSP and all those other fun substances.  I figure a gallon of that stuff should last a good long time, unless I find some concrete that needs etchin.

I'll be careful- I handle a lot of other dangerous stuff (Gun powder, caustic, etc..) so I should be okay with this stuff.  I'll take the proper precautions.
(And I promise not to load it into my son's Super Soaker and blast the cat that's been leaving his calling card in my neighbors kid's sandbox.)

If I recall, my alkalinity is in the 400+ range out of the tap.  We have city water but it's drawn from the ground.
I like the idea of lowering the reading without dumping all that Ph decrease stuff in.  

Tomorrow is supposed to be in the 90's and very humid.  Should make for a fun water change and cover scrub.

Brewman

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2006, 09:15:43 am »
Brewman

I am fortunate to have excellent water out of the tap, but if I were in your situation I would do exactly as you are by trying the muriatic acid.  Extreme situations call for extreme measures.  I am sure it will be a good solution for you.

DPS

• The light was yellow, sir
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2006, 05:12:59 pm »
Be sure that the area is well ventilated, the fumes can be very dangerous.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2006, 05:43:26 pm »
 My spa is outside, so ventillation is not a problem.
Did the water change this afternoon, water is coming up to temperature as I post- probably about 70 degrees now.
We're charring some mammal flesh with some friends this evening, then taking the boat out for an evening spin.  By the time we get back- water should be good and ready.
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2006, 05:43:26 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42