What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: ADVICE FOR NORTHERN WIS. NEWBIE  (Read 4794 times)

LINDALU

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
ADVICE FOR NORTHERN WIS. NEWBIE
« on: June 27, 2006, 12:12:54 pm »
We are now becoming "Hot Tubbers" (really new to this). Our kids gifted us with a special anniversary gift of a Pacific, "Saturn" model (Aber Mfg., B.C. Canada) hot tub. The seller assured them that this model was designed and is well insulated for cold climate usage.
The tub is being installed at our lake cabin in northern Wis. We will use it on our weekends there. Hope to become permanent residents there upon retirement in 2-3 years.
The tub will be on our lower deck, with an upper covered deck above, but open on the sides.
We plan to use it year-round, but will only be there on weekends, so that is why I'm seeking advice.
1. Chemicals - We have several friends on our lake that have hot tubs and they said they could help with the chemicals to get us started. (They live there year-round.)
2. Our biggest concern is that we are only there on weekends and won't be able to monitor the water on a daily basis. On occasion, we may not be there for 2-3 weeks at a time. In northern Wis. temps can range from 90's in summer to minus 20's even minus 30's in winter. (It is summer now so temps are not an immediate concern, but would like to be prepared.)
3. Found this site and Forum and have read a number of comments with great interest.
4. The unit we are getting holds about 400 gals. of water, has Ozonator, and a "Stealth system" for continuous circulation.
4. (Sorry for this long intro., but we are really newbies)
Any comments and/or advice from anyone using a hot tub similar to what our usage will be would be of great help.
5. Also, anyone have experiance with the Pacific brand?
Thanks a bunch.

Hot Tub Forum

ADVICE FOR NORTHERN WIS. NEWBIE
« on: June 27, 2006, 12:12:54 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: ADVICE FOR NORTHERN WIS. NEWBIE
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 12:25:45 pm »
One thing to be prepared for is an extended power outage.  Can you give them access to your place if a breaker gets tripped?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

LINDALU

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 12:32:50 pm »
Hopefully, depending on snow depth.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 01:38:12 pm »
Would any of your neighbors be willing to pop over there once and a while, especially in the winter, just to make sure that things are still ok?  Even with no power outages, it's still possible to get the odd FLO error or something that might shut down the spa, not the best situation to encounter in mid january.

Brewman

LINDALU

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 01:53:05 pm »
One of our freinds is just 3 lots away and he could most likely check on ours even if he had to come on a snowmobile. (He rides almost daily).
We would really like to use it in the winter to sooth-out after a day of snowmobiling.
One thought that we have is to drain and re-fill each weekend, but that seems like it would be more hassle than its worth.
Guess experiance will be our teacher. (Hopefully not a great $$$$ learning curve). Thanks for the replies so far. Nice to have found an "earnest" website.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 02:55:17 pm by LINDALU »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 02:19:04 pm »
I don't remember if you said Bromine or Chlorine as your sanitizer. This might be a case where Bromine might be better because you can use a floater to keep the santizier up during the week.  
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

LINDALU

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 02:47:48 pm »
Installation will be completed this coming weekend.
We did buy a floater and will start using it.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 02:51:33 pm by LINDALU »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006, 03:00:42 pm »

One thought that we have is to drain and re-fill each weekend, but that seems like it would be more hassle than its worth.
Guess experiance will be our teacher. (Hopefully not a great $$$$ learning curve). Thanks for the replies so far. Nice to have found an "earnest" website.

Not sure if draining and refilling would be any less risky, and you'd certainly be waiting a lot for that water to come up to temperature.  
Not sure how you cabin is laid our, or what you do in winter, but would you even have a water tap to hook up to fill in the winter?  Most people shut of and drain outdoor water taps in winter- especially lake homes where you might not notice a burst pipe for weeks.
Then there is the risk of not removing all the water from the plumbing when you drain, and having what's left in the spa pipes freeze.
Dealing with water outside in the winter like this would get pretty old pretty quickly, I'd think.  
 If I was your neighbor, I'd help you out.  Any excuse to ride a snowmobile! ;)
Brewman

LINDALU

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006, 03:36:57 pm »
I agree draining and re-filling each weekend would be too much of a hassle.
We are hoping the seller is right, that the Pacific unit is made for cold climates. It does have an r50+ insulation rating. The cover seems to be of good quality. I guess we will find that out.
Will concentrate on getting our friend to watch it for us.
Maybe a case of "Bubbly" would be extra incentive.
As for our cabin, we have a walkout lower level. We keep low heat on in the winter but always drain the entire water system every time we leave, "just in case".
We had the water system and plumbing put in to be very quick and easy to drain, just for that reason. The outside tap is only 3' from the hot tub.
Thanks for your reply.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2006, 03:58:26 pm »
Since I hadn't heard of this one before, here is what we are dealing with. Is this right Lindalu?

Even with a 5.5kw heater, your water is going to take a long time to heat up when you are probably starting with water that is around 40F
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 04:02:26 pm by wmccall »

LINDALU

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2006, 06:11:08 pm »
Yes, ours is the LT model.
We have very good clear well water, but it does come out cool. Never took the water temp before, but could be in the 40's. Will find out this weekend.
Thanks ;D

Cola

• Time for bed kids
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2006, 08:41:35 pm »
Can't drain it without performing a full winterization anyhow.  An insulating blanket that covers the tub completely would be a good idea.  I would tarp on top of that and ensure that the wind can't lift it, maybe a rope wrapped around the spa base to hold the tarp in place.  I wonder if the bromine salts would lower the freeze point if this were to happen?
Anybody know?
Good luck
Steve
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 06:42:45 am by cola »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2006, 09:25:07 pm »
.  I would tarp on top of that and ensure that the wind cant lift it, maybe a rope wrapped around the spa base to hold the tarp in place.Steve

This is probably a great idea for a spa that is unattended most of the time.  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2006, 09:25:07 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42