What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: The Learning Curve  (Read 3253 times)

Snowbird

• What did he say?
The Learning Curve
« on: June 21, 2006, 09:08:42 pm »
Whoever said new owners over-medicate their tubs was right.  In my case I resolved to follow my dealer's instructions.  Wrong!

They had me using mps with no Dichlor.  That's why I was having the skin problems.

After finally listening to the advice on this forum all is well.  2 tbsp dichlor for each person after every soak.  mps shock weekly.  Periodic pH or TA adjustments and life is beautiful.  Skin is just as ugly as it was before the tub came.

Here is my question.   91 day water change is due around July 4.  Tub is indoors.  Wash tub with Windex, add 550 gal city water & clean filter with new Nature3 stick, turn on tub and ozonator.  

What's next?  TA check? pH check? Calcium check? Dichlor shock?  MPS shock?

Thanks again.
The World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers

Hot Tub Forum

The Learning Curve
« on: June 21, 2006, 09:08:42 pm »

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
Re: The Learning Curve
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 09:18:18 pm »
N2 stick goes in after tub is up to temp....I think I'd head for TA check (not to be confused with the T&A check)...that's just me, off the top, after a long day, with no cheat notes, though.... ;)
Congrats on the new beginning on your tub and your new lease on cleared up skin!! May you  be rash free for as long as you own your tub!
RIP C-Rod

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 08:02:15 am »
Snowbird-

Are you sure about that dichlor amount?
Or did you mean to type tsp?  

I'm not all that familiar with Nature 3, I'm assuming it's some kind of sanitizer supplement
(a replacement for nature 2?).
If so, you'd supposedly need even less dichlor than usual.  Nature 2 boasts that less chlorine is necessary.

Seems to me that if you're using the standard amount of dichlor, and shocking with MPS or dichlor, there isn't much of a need to have that Nature 3 in your spa.

Maybe those who use the Nature products can chime in, but it seems like you're over using chlorine.

Brewman

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 09:38:20 am »
I agree with Brewman. The Dichlor amounts you listed seem high.  I follow the Vermonters method (or at least try to).  I'm more like 1/2 tsp per person.

Strange though.  Had about 6 folks in the tub Sunday, so afterwards I put in about 4 tsp of dichlor (a bit extra for good measure).    Ran the 10 minute clean up cycle and covered the tub for the night.

Monday morning, (6:30)  while getting ready for work, I shocked with 4 ounces of MPS and ran the tub for about 40 minutes with the cover off.  In my pre cafine daze, I did not check the water. I just assumed  a shock was in order...(last shock was 8 day prior. And the folks in it yesterday we all in suits, hot sweaty, fried -turkey coated,  wine and beer spilling tubbers)

Tuesday night about 9:00 pm , I went for a soak an noticed  a strong chlorine odor. Strange.  I just shocked and thought if you smelled chlorine, you needed to shock (which I just had done,  36 hours before).   I finished my beer and got out.

Wondering what was up, I checked it Wednesday morning and the chlorine levels were off the strip (high end)!

That afternoon I checked again and were at 5 ppm.  My ph was low and I adjusted for that.

This a.m. everything is right on the button and I still have a 3ppm chlorine reading.

What the hell? My chlorine should be waaaaay down.  What is going on. (I'm close to my water change out, but prefer to wait until after the july 4th party, and in the warmer weather, we are soaking  less....about 2x  a week).

???
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 10:06:51 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 10:11:22 am »
Yea, the dichlor sounds  a little high, but not ridiculously so.  I just started using Nature 2 this Spring, and part of the idea was to use less Dichlor. So far so good. You did say after every soak. I usually only do so only for the last soak of the day.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 02:15:55 pm »
I'd add water, adjust TA, pH and other levels, THEN shock with dichlor (NOT MPS), THEN put in N2 and follow instructions. Dichlor will stay low, add small amounts as others indicated. MPS for shock is OK after routine is established but I'd always shock with dichlor on occassion or after a hot tub social.

Good luck!

Drewski

8)

It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 02:28:57 pm »
Strange though.  Had about 6 folks in the tub Sunday, so afterwards I put in about 4 tsp of dichlor (a bit extra for good measure).    Ran the 10 minute clean up cycle and covered the tub for the night.

Monday morning, (6:30)  while getting ready for work, I shocked with 4 ounces of MPS and ran the tub for about 40 minutes with the cover off.  In my pre cafine daze, I did not check the water. I just assumed  a shock was in order...(last shock was 8 day prior. And the folks in it yesterday we all in suits, hot sweaty, fried -turkey coated,  wine and beer spilling tubbers)

Tuesday night about 9:00 pm , I went for a soak an noticed  a strong chlorine odor. Strange.  I just shocked and thought if you smelled chlorine, you needed to shock (which I just had done,  36 hours before).   I finished my beer and got out.

Wondering what was up, I checked it Wednesday morning and the chlorine levels were off the strip (high end)!

That afternoon I checked again and were at 5 ppm.  My ph was low and I adjusted for that.

This a.m. everything is right on the button and I still have a 3ppm chlorine reading.

What the hell? My chlorine should be waaaaay down.  What is going on. (I'm close to my water change out, but prefer to wait until after the july 4th party, and in the warmer weather, we are soaking  less....about 2x  a week).  ???

Hey drew:

What probably happened was that your tubbers caused the pH to DROP, which made the shock much more potent. This created your very HIGH CL level that hung around, increasing available CL. Some combined and reacted (even AFTER you vented), creating gas under your cover, which is why you smelled it. It was still reacting. When you lowered pH, the CL levels reacted accordingly.

I'm a big believer in water equilibrium. When you change (or upset) your usage pattern, stuff happens...

BUT, it's ALL good!

Drewski

8)
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 02:34:45 pm »
Hey drew:

What probably happened was that your tubbers caused the pH to DROP, which made the shock much more potent. This created your very HIGH CL level that hung around, increasing available CL. Some combined and reacted (even AFTER you vented), creating gas under your cover, which is why you smelled it. It was still reacting. When you lowered pH, the CL levels reacted accordingly.

I'm a big believer in water equilibrium. When you change (or upset) your usage pattern, stuff happens...

BUT, it's ALL good!

Drewski

8)

Thanks.  

:D
07 Caldera Geneva

nicker

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 03:24:44 pm »
I hear ya, not saying my Tub Dealer was wrong but our pool dealer was.  

I don't even put that much dichlor in, I use maybe 1 tbsp after each use and that depends on how many users.  If its only me I somtimes wait till my next soak.  I find my water is perfect then.

96SC

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2006, 05:20:13 pm »
Folks help me with the spa jargon.
 What are:
1.  TA   (I know what T&A is)
2. N2 or N3
3. MPS
4. Nature 2 or 3.  (I have a feeling they are similar to N2 or N3)

From what I have read in the past Dichlor is chlorine and I am familiar with ph (acidity or alkalinity).

Thanks
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

salesdvl

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2006, 06:28:06 pm »
 Periodic TA adjustments and life is beautiful.  

Doesnt a periodic T & A adjustment always make life beautiful?   ;)
Measure once, cut twice.

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2006, 07:19:35 pm »
YES!!  For everyone involved!!
2005 HS Vanguard

Snowbird

• What did he say?
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2006, 07:34:07 pm »
First of all, Nature3 was a typo - should have been Nature2.  Sorry.  ::)

I like Drewski's advice and will follow it.
"I'd add water, adjust TA, pH and other levels, THEN shock with dichlor (NOT MPS), THEN put in N2 and follow instructions. Dichlor will stay low, add small amounts as others indicated. MPS for shock is OK after routine is established but I'd always shock with dichlor on occassion or after a hot tub social. "

We rarely have more than 2 people in the tub at a time and the rule is no food.  We use care with drinks.  I mostly stick to ice water (to splash on wifey) and wifey likes an adult beverage.

Also Brewman and Drewstar's advice about the amount.  There is a faint odor of chlorine on my skin when I get out but no odor of any kind in the house from the tub.  I will switch to a teaspoon and see how that works.

I've searched for the Vermonter's site but usually get lost.  Can you post it?
The World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers

anne

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2006, 03:01:19 am »
Folks help me with the spa jargon.
  What are:
1.  TA   (I know what T&A is)
2. N2 or N3
3. MPS
4. Nature 2 or 3.  (I have a feeling they are similar to N2 or N3)

From what I have read in the past Dichlor is chlorine and I am familiar with ph (acidity or alkalinity).

Thanks

TA= Total alkalinity
N2= Nature 2, you are right; and as snowbrid corrected, there is no N3 (yet?)
MPS= potassium peroxymonosulfate, a strong oxidizer, therefor a shocking agent. I cannot explain why "MPS" does not quite stand for that, but I betcha the chemical name has variations.

And lets see if this works:

http://www.rhtubs.com/bbs/FAQ.htm
Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2006, 03:01:19 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42