What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Spring-Marguis Face Off  (Read 5399 times)

JKFuller

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Hot Spring-Marguis Face Off
« on: June 07, 2006, 08:57:44 pm »
Hello,
Sorry for the subject line… I am watching the hockey game as I type this…

First, what a great wealth of information there is on this web site… all very informative and much appreciated.  After much research here and other places, I have my selection down to three spas: Hot Spring Sovereign $7650, Tiger River Bengal $6700 and Marquis/Everyday Ultimate 530 $7295.  I am heading to the dealers over the weekend to take a final test soak with my family.. hopefully to make a decide.

Up until recently, I was very much sold on the Hot Spring or Tiger River (Watkins Mfg).  From the reviews here on the Sovereign though, I am now not so sure of the Sovereign… equipment troubles from two different users/reviewers.  I do know Watkins is a very reliable manufacturing from friends who own a HS.  I was surprised to read of the equipment issues.  So, a couple of questions if I may:

1)  Anyone want to take a crack at comparing the three?  After my first test soak, they are similar fit/feel/comfort for me.  I am however leaning towards the Marquis/Everyday.  With its two pumps it seems to be more adjustable or “true hydro-therapy” as the sales consultant puts it.

2)  The prices above are inclusive of starter set less tax… cover, cover lift, stairs, chem start up kit, delivery, set up.  Still, these prices seem high.  I am in North Carolina and yes, the tub’s are trucked across the country to get here.  Are the dealer prices negotiable for either lower prices or to include more upgrades or better warranties?

Much thanks for your help.
Sincerely,
Regards,
Joseph

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Spring-Marguis Face Off
« on: June 07, 2006, 08:57:44 pm »

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
Re: Hot Spring-Marguis Face Off
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 09:15:26 pm »
When testing the Marquis make sure you isolate the lower back therapy in the deeper lounge if you do I think you will find it tough to get equal or better lower back therapy in just about any spa....If you have a good wet test with the Marquis meaning that your dealer takes the time to show how to use and how to take advantage of all the settings.... I think you will find it excellent as a therapy spa.....Have fun and enjoy whatever tub you decide to go with.....both are very very good companys.....

JKFuller

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 09:51:23 pm »
Thanks Mendocino101!

I do have a poor lower back between L4 and L5...

The dealer has spent quite a bit of time with me on all the variety of settings.

Thanks again,
Regards,
Joseph

Vanguard

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 10:39:23 pm »
I can't say a lot about the fit of Marquis.  They were not available in my market when I bought my spa.  I do know both Hot Spring and Marquis are good brands.  You will need to wet test both and decide which is more comfortable.  Take your time in them.  Try out different seats and different levels of pressure on the jets.  Make sure the Sovereign is the 220V version.  They make a white one that is 110V that does not have as much power.  The same thing goes for the Bengal - just not in white.  The 220V comes with a bigger pump than the 110V model does.  You'll need to ask your dealer which Bengal he is displaying.

Make sure you are comfortable with both dealers also.  How long have they been in business.  You will have your spa for a long time, you want your dealer to be there a long time, too.

Either way, you will make a good choice.  Both brands are good brands.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 11:06:46 pm by aquatub »
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

DPS

• The light was yellow, sir
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 11:02:04 pm »
The wet test should show you a large difference in waterflow from the jets and therapy options.  There isn't really a warranty upgrade that you can negotiate for.  The manufacturers have a set warranty that can't be changed by the dealer.  Look at the warranties for what's included and excluded, transferrability, etc.
The prices don't seem high to me.  There will be an additional cost to a dealer on the East coast for freight, probably around $300 higher than Western states.  On the Marquis, the only accessories you might try to get a deal on would be Floating Remote, LED Light, or additional Frog Cartridges - everything else is already included.

MarKee

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 01:44:42 am »
The 530 Ultimate is an awesome spa.  I sell Marquis and actually have some customers prefer the feel of the 530 Ultimate over the Epic (our flagship model).  We sold hundreds of 530 Ults last summer at the Marquis stores in Oregon.  Depending on how tall you are, you can sit in the footwell next to the cool down seat and get 4 HK40s on your lower back.  It's an awesome feel.  You are looking at two quality brands, both have been around 25+ years and have proven themselves.  As far as price, our normal price at the Marquis factory stores in Oregon on the 530 Ultimate is $7,995.  I would say you're getting a good price, but like DPS said, try and get them to throw in a couple goodies.  The Aqua Ambiance and Spa Remote are fun add ons.

DoubleA

• 2006 Caldera Tahitian
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 07:35:31 am »
If you like the Sovereign and the dealer has a good reputation there should be no probs getting it.  Or any other make you're looking at from a reputable dealer. Good luck with the decision.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 09:23:26 am »
I was going to suggest the Tiger River Caspain, but it looks like you want a lounger in your tub.

Although a decent enought tub, I don't think  the the Bengal is in the same class as the Soverign or the Marquis. I'd scratch it from your list , for a few hundred more the Sovern and Marquis seem to give you much more tub,

They are both good tubs  and have a rep for high quality. I strongly suggest you  let  it come down to a wet test.   :D  The hot spring has the moto massage, which some folks love while the MArquis has 2 pumps and a bit more jets. I don;t think you can go wrong with either of these two tubs.

The prices seem decent to me.  
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 09:31:08 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

cappykat

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006, 04:38:55 pm »
I have a Marquis Epic, so I can't speak about the 530, but I love the Epic.  I'm sure the 530 is every bit as nice.  When we first got the Epic I wasn't sure about the tri-zone therapy.  I just hadn't taken the time to try different settings.  I was getting good therapy in both the deep seat and the lounger, but then I turned off the jets in the other seats and OMG...when you have ALL the power going to one seat the therapy is awesome!

I think Marquis makes a great spa and I don't think you can go wrong with any of their models.

You're looking at two of the top brands so you can't lose.
2005 Marquis Epic

MarKee

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2006, 05:02:36 pm »
In the other thread it looks like he decided on the Marquis 636.

96SC

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2006, 08:31:53 pm »
JK, we live in South Carolina and found that the prices we were quoted were higher than those others in here have gotten.  We were even told the throw in extras: steps, chemicals, set up, cover were at an added cost.  Must be the distance.  Guess you'll have to play your new lottery more often.
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2006, 08:31:53 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42