What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Chlorine and Total Hardness  (Read 1549 times)

Starbuck

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Chlorine and Total Hardness
« on: May 29, 2006, 06:41:12 pm »
Hey guys, new at this.

Been about 2 weeks since I got the Majesta.  Love it.  Checked it out today and the water is looking as little murky so I test stripped it.  Turns out the Chlorine was a little low and the Total Hardness was low.  I put another cap of Chlorine and now it is way to high 10ppm and I need help how to get it back down to normal.  Also, the total hardness is still low at about 100, trying to get it to 300.  Not sure how to increase the total hardness?  

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Lee

Hot Tub Forum

Chlorine and Total Hardness
« on: May 29, 2006, 06:41:12 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Chlorine and Total Hardness
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 07:30:44 pm »
For hardness buy calcium increaser. But be aware that some people believe in it and some don't. My opinion is that it's part of balanced water and I keep mine on the low "in range" side (150 to 200).

Dichlor (chlorine) is a great sanitizer and under normal conditions it will get depleted within 24 hours. As far as the 10 PPM - that's exactly what you should do (raise the chlorine to more than 3 or 4 PPM) to shock the water every so often. Assuming that the cloudiness is from organics, you should have low chlorine by tommorrow. As far as soaking in a high chlorine residue, I've soaked in 20+ PPM by accident and other than a second head growing, I'm completely fine. ;) If you do need to lower the chlorine use hydrogen peroxide, use small amounts and check the chlorine level 10 min after putting it in.

Starbuck

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 07:38:49 pm »
Vinny,

Thanks so much.  Well, unbeknownst to me it sounds like I did the right thing.  Our hardness is right at 150-200 so we should be ok.  We wanted to get in the tub tonight but the bottle says dont get in if level is above 5ppm.  But from what you say, we should be fine, so we're going to jump in tonight.  I had some enhanced shock cleaner that said would take away the cloudiness so I put 2 caps of that in as well.  

Thanks so much for all the help,

Lee

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 07:38:49 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42