What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: purchased HS Vanguard--any  must-have accessories?  (Read 2887 times)

kervis

• runnergirl
purchased HS Vanguard--any  must-have accessories?
« on: May 22, 2006, 10:14:49 am »
I anticipate the delivery to be early July.  On another forum Vinny made some great suggestions concerning grommets on boys suits (scratching tub) and waiting to buy some accessories until after I actually use the tub!  We (2 adults and 3 kids) just can't wait!!  I am purchasing a spa vac and the handrail that slips under the tub in order to plan ahead for icy winters. (MN) I am wondering about a 1/4" foam thermal blanket. They also come in 1/8".  My dealer says it is not necessary but I am thinking it would help keep my cover in better shape, (especially if I start using it right away when it is new), along with possible insulating factors.   Does anyone have any comment on this?  I  would not use a tether as I wouldn't want to poke holes in the cover.  These forums have been full of great advice and information for me-thanks!
2005 HS Vanguard

Hot Tub Forum

purchased HS Vanguard--any  must-have accessories?
« on: May 22, 2006, 10:14:49 am »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: purchased HS Vanguard--any  must-have accessor
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 10:23:34 am »
Hi Kervis,

congrats on the new tub. I am sure you are going to love it.

I'd wait a bit on all the toys and live with the tub a bit before dropping your hard earned cash on accesories.

Make sure you've got a good cover, lifter and steps and at least one rubber ducky.  ;)

I live in MA and have the tub outside, I'm not completley sold on the insualation benifts of a blanket. but if you want to buy one,  I'd recomend a leash for it. Folks here who have one report it makes it a lot easier  to handle.

I am surprised at the gromot issue. I have a watkins tub and the dealer was taking car keys across the shell to illustrate how tough it was. (I've got a granitie-ish sand colored shell though). S

As far as accesories and goodies, I have: tiki tourches, a spa wand vac, a nice cabinet to store  my chems,  a towel bar, and some extra suits and towels for visitors.  (and some illegal fireworks that we shoot off into the woods. )   ;)

Have fun.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 10:26:03 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

sandiego

• Caldera Spa Dealer for 30 years
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 10:45:30 am »
make sure you get a cover lifter, steps and ozone

you already got a handrail which is nice, but I agree with the post above, wait till you get the tub to see what else you'll need.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 11:25:28 am »
Congratulations on getting an excellent spa that will give you and your family a lifetime of enjoyment. :)

Since the spa already comes with a Freshwater III Ozonator as standard equipment, I would heed sandiego's advice and add steps and a cover lifter.  I'd skip the thermal blanket.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 11:34:08 am »
make sure you get a cover lifter, steps and ozone
The ozone is standard now on all HotSpring spas. The lift and steps are very important.

I will confess: many years ago when the lifters began to get popular, I didn't want to mess with them. My wet-test spa had a little shelf beside it, and I was very good at folding and propping the cover up on it. Also, I very much like to quote the "package" price first so we don't have to go through the 'sticker shock' over and over as the price creeps up from there. I would rather give 'em the biggest number up front and then offer to shave it down by removing things they may not be interseted in.

But the mother ship finally talked me into showing a lift. I think the factory may have had to send me one free to get me try. I tried it. I liked it. I ordered a bunch more. I put one on the spa at the house. I have never gone back. I don't ever want to own a spa without a lifter again.

I even show them on the dry spas at the store.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 11:59:28 am »
The steps (nice heavy, sturdy,wooden, 36", 2-tier matching ones), the cover, the cover lifter (with gas springs), the CD ozonator, the GFCI panel, starter chemicals, delivery--all came with my package price.  They are throwing in floor model Tri-X filters.
I am in the Twin Cities metro.  $8800 plus 6.5%tax=$9372
My electrical will run about $800.
2005 HS Vanguard

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 12:03:05 pm »
Kervis, if the electrician isn't already doing it, have him install a weatherproof 110v outlet at the subpanel.  It's a great accessory.  ;)

07 Caldera Geneva

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 01:34:42 pm »
The steps (nice heavy, sturdy,wooden, 36", 2-tier matching ones), the cover, the cover lifter (with gas springs), the CD ozonator, the GFCI panel, starter chemicals, delivery--all came with my package price.  They are throwing in floor model Tri-X filters.
I am in the Twin Cities metro.  $8800 plus 6.5%tax=$9372
My electrical will run about $800.

That's a good price.  That's about $500 less than we sell it for. :)

Terminator

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2006, 02:48:32 pm »
Thanks!  That's great to know.  I realize that there are many factors to consider when purchasing a spa, including the cost of living in your particular region.  Someone on the forum said, "Pay for the spa, negotiate the accessories".  I was hoping I had done that.  As I have never written a check that large before, it is very nice to have confirmed that I was in the appropriate price range!!  Would you share a point or two on why I should not bother with the thermal blanket?  (besides the assumed hassle of folding it up and laying it back down).  I am thinking it could interfere with the filtering process as I am imagining our body oils and stuff sticking to it,  but I am thinking it could help prolong the life of my cover.   Maybe the trade-off would not be worth it in the long run if I am only gaining a couple months vs. years?  I assume clean water would be the priority.
Thanks.

Drewstar--I will get the extra outlets, great idea!  I will hit Target to get some more giant beach towels for my guests. They are on sale this week.
2005 HS Vanguard

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2006, 02:59:02 pm »
Regarding the thermal blanket, unless it is an airtight, watertight seal, you are still going to get moisture absorbed into your cover over time.  It is simply an annoyance and a waste of money unless the thing is hermetically sealed, which they are not.  You could buy a case of Shiner Bock for what one of those things cost!

Terminator

anne

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2006, 05:46:24 pm »
What are the opinions out there as to whether a blanket slows down damage to the cover from ozonation/chemicals?
Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2006, 05:46:24 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42