What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Concrete Pad question  (Read 8090 times)

tjvm

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Concrete Pad question
« on: May 05, 2006, 10:48:56 am »
Hello,

I just purchased a Sundance Optima and will be putting in a concrete pad for the tub this weekend.  I have a few questions:

1)  Should I put a grade on the concrete?  If so, how much?  

2)  Do I need to worry about the electrical lines (ie - should I run a conduit in the concrete slab?

Thanks in advance to those who respond!!!!

Hot Tub Forum

Concrete Pad question
« on: May 05, 2006, 10:48:56 am »

svspa

• Jacuzzi J-345
Re: Concrete Pad question
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 11:29:16 am »
tjvm,

Both of your questions kind of depend on your specific situation.

I poured my pad (7'x7' for a 7'x7' tub) without any grade since there would not be any pad exposed underneath the tub. Whatever small amount of water ends up on the pad will dry up pretty quickly.

If you are pouring a pad much larger than the tub (a patio for instance) then you probably have to be aware of where water on the pad is going to go and direct it away from things like the house foundation, etc..

A slight slope is not a problem but be aware that the water in your tub will be uneven. Besides not looking right that could be a problem with keeping all of your jets under water if the grade is too extreme.

Conduit also depends on your scenario. Some have the tub in the middle of a concrete patio and therefore would run conduit for the wiring in the concrete to avoid having the conduit run on the surface.

Others may have a post near the tub that they can run the conduit along and down to the tub.

In my case, as I mentioned, my pad is basically stand alone but I did have to run across a concrete walk. So I cut out the concrete and ran the conduit under the walk.

If you are having an electrician wire the tub it probably would help to discuss with them how they propose to run the conduit.

Good luck.

Steve.

DoubleA

• 2006 Caldera Tahitian
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 11:29:51 am »
tjvm,

Congrats on the purchase.  As to your question, when I got my tub I had a pad poured that has a very small grade so that water wont set and pool on the concrete yet it won't noticably affect the way the water sits in the tub.  Also, I highly recommend putting your electrical tubing in the slab and have it come up under your tub.  I did on mine and it looks nice and clean.  

tjvm

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 11:42:13 am »
Thanks for the responses gentlemen.  

My pad is 7'8" x 7'8" (tub is 7' 5" x 7'5") so it seems my situation is similar to Steve's.  I was hoping I could get away with pouring a perfectly level pad because an uneven water level would drive me crazy.....little things like that always do.  

The pad is surround by grass and deck so if I am understanding the electrical hook up correctly I could probably hide the line pretty well with out sending it up through the concrete.

jim97219

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 03:17:09 pm »
Here's a post worth reading, especially Aquatub's posting on page one.

http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=wtb-hottub;action=display;num=1146343172;start=

Congrats and good luck!

Jim
« Last Edit: May 06, 2006, 12:23:18 pm by jim97219 »

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2006, 03:24:00 pm »
TJVM:

Here's how they did the electrical on my new tub.

Having electrical come right up thru
concrete presents a nice clean
protected look.

Good luck with your new tub!

« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 03:24:24 pm by Zep »

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2006, 06:48:45 pm »
If you've only got three inches more on each side don't even worry about grade.  Most of the splashout you get will either be running down the cabinet or winding up in the grass.  As for the conduit, it depends where you mount the box.

What I've found a lot of people do is run the conduit around the toe space and paint it to match that color- then pop it up through the punch holes.  That way if you ever decide to move the tub to a different location or move out, the pad is ready to use for a little patio area without having a hole in it.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2006, 04:43:22 pm »
Here's a post worth reading, especially Aquatub's posting on page one.
http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=wtb-hottub;action=display;num=1146343172;start=

Congrats and good luck!

Jim
Yes, that one always brings a tear to my eye.

:'(
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2006, 04:49:10 pm »
TJVM:

Here's how they did the electrical on my new tub.

See, they won't let us directly bury the flex around here. That would have to be dug up and replaced with PCV (sched80) conduit 18" deep except for the parts which are under the slab. It would not be tough to do since you have the PVC 'sleeve' in place: very good idea BTW, and also the place it penetrates the slab is nice and close to the edge so a little digging and you could work it out.

I have seen the inspector let a homeowner get by with that, but not us poor licensed contractors.

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2006, 05:00:58 pm »

Hey glad you like it.

I suppose it's the same amount of
digging whether it's flex or pvc.

I had a large well reputation electric company
here in Dallas do mine.....so I would think
it is up to code.

I guess Dallas code does not require PVC.

I think coming up through the concrete is
much more eye pleasing that something
sticking out for the next ten years...painted
or not.

Ronald5599

• HS Envoy installed May 5th - Very frustrated
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2006, 05:24:35 pm »
I built a slab which is about 3 - 6" larger than the tub on two sides, the rear goes up to the house foundation (about 18") and the left side is extended for the step with enough concrete so you can walk on the concrete, then onto the steps, then the tub. For the guys who have the tub sitting on the slab without any additional concrete, do you have your step sitting on the grass or something else? - Ron

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2006, 10:37:36 pm »
finish it dead level. conduit after.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

tjvm

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2006, 10:55:51 pm »
Thanks for the discussion.  I finished my pad today.  It is dry, level and ready to go.  I did not bring the conduit through the concrete, although I really like the idea.  I just was not comfortable I would hit the right spot.  

BTW - Does anyone know which side the access panel is on the Sundance Optima?  Is it the same side as the control panel?

Thanks!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2006, 12:21:22 am »
I had a large well reputation electric company
here in Dallas do mine.....so I would think
it is up to code.

I guess Dallas code does not require PVC.

Well, technically, what you have there IS PVC - it's just flexible PVC. We all know that the Electrons are bigger in Texas, so I guess they will let it go.

I don't see a problem with it, but our local inspectors sure do. The inspector can ask you to do MORE than the NEC, but they generally don't unless there is some issue: for example we live on the beach, so plastic is encouraged as much as possible to avoid rust/corrosion from the salt air.

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2006, 03:36:25 pm »
Well, technically, what you have there IS PVC - it's just flexible PVC. We all know that the Electrons are bigger in Texas, so I guess they will let it go.

I don't see a problem with it, but our local inspectors sure do. The inspector can ask you to do MORE than the NEC, but they generally don't unless there is some issue: for example we live on the beach, so plastic is encouraged as much as possible to avoid rust/corrosion from the salt air.

What is that white pipe made of?  Looks like 4 inch PVC to me.  Isn't that what the code calls for?  Seems they just ran the flex through the rigid PVC.
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2006, 03:36:25 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42