What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: The best chemicals  (Read 5973 times)

jeankat2

The best chemicals
« on: May 01, 2006, 05:04:27 pm »
Hi, I just brought a Caldera Tahitian and we are learning about the chemicals. We live in the NW so had to add lots of calcium. Can anyone recommend the best products and the way to get them the cheapist. Our spa came with Leisure Time, but we are looking for a less expensive alterntive.

Hot Tub Forum

The best chemicals
« on: May 01, 2006, 05:04:27 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: The best chemicals
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 05:06:12 pm »
Don' do it!

Leisure Time is good junk. If you find something cheaper, it's likely to be ChemTek or AquaChem or some other lamo brand at a home center.

LT works, and has done so for us for 18 years or so.

:)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

sandiego

• Caldera Spa Dealer for 30 years
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 05:28:46 pm »
We like to use the Nature 2 spa purifier with Leisure Time Renew (shock), Spa Defender and Spa 56.

That's what I've found to be the easiest way to take care of the spa with the lest amount of side effects....

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 05:55:33 pm »
Don' do it!

Leisure Time is good junk. If you find something cheaper, it's likely to be ChemTek or AquaChem or some other lamo brand at a home center.

LT works, and has done so for us for 18 years or so.

:)

Hey Chas!

What's up with that!

I agree that you have to be careful when picking up "spa chemicals" but dichlor is dichlor for the most part and some of it is more potent than others but if you can get something cheaper - why not?

Walmart's "spa" chlorine is Cal Hypo which is a big no no but Doc or Leslies sells dichlor for a lot less than my dealer. I can get 5 lbs from Doc for about $25, now I do know that some of you dealers sell products cheaper than others so I would agree that if you can support your local dealer and not paying too much - do so!

jeankat2

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 07:23:49 pm »
Who is Doc or Leslie?

sandiego

• Caldera Spa Dealer for 30 years
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 07:37:39 pm »
Leslie's Pool Supplies sells chemicals.

Doc. Is dr.spa I believe he also has an online store.

You can also go to http://www.spapartsdepot.com

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 08:20:49 pm »
Good question Vinny -

I forgot: I don't sell the LT Dichlor. Too expensive. Same for the Renew. In my case, I have "Sun" brand Dichlor for a couple bucks less, and it is exactly the same, or close enough. The Renew is five or six bucks more per bottle, so I just offer the "FreshWater Oxidizer."

The OTHER LT products are priced much better and always seem to do the job.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 09:24:36 pm »
Doc's web site is:

www.rhtubs.com

I buy stuff from him all of the time, great web site and great service if you have questions.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 10:02:12 pm »
Should we get into baking soda and white vinegar? ;D

salesdvl

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2006, 10:05:15 pm »
vinegar is good when coloring eggs  ;D
Measure once, cut twice.

Vanguard

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2006, 10:53:08 pm »
I think it is best to use your local dealer.  You may pay a bit more, but when you have a problem, they will be there to help you.  They don't charge for their knowledge - which in most cases is substantial.

When you ask a dealer for their help and use them to test your water, then go elsewhere to buy, well.....  I just am a believer in supporting your local dealer.

Leisure Time, BioGuard seem to be the best.  You pay more for BioGuard, but they are regarded as the best products.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2006, 08:45:04 am »
Leisure Time, BioGuard seem to be the best.  You pay more for BioGuard, but they are regarded as the best products.

You really shouldn't state that.

ALL chems are basically the same, dichlor is dichlor and alkalinity up is baking soda.

My dealer charges $23 for a 2 lb bottle of enhanced shock which is basically MPS and chlorine. I can buy a 5 lb bottle of dichlor from Doc for $25. That's a huge difference. My local pool dealer sold me a quart of algecide for the pool for $24 and I bought the same algecide from Leslies but a half gallon for a few dollars more.

I don't go to dealers to ask for help and buy elsewhere. I am a firm believer to support the people I use ... I've been on Doc's site a while now and have received great info and I support.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2006, 09:50:09 am »

You really shouldn't state that.

ALL chems are basically the same, dichlor is dichlor and alkalinity up is baking soda.

My dealer charges $23 for a 2 lb bottle of enhanced shock which is basically MPS and chlorine. I can buy a 5 lb bottle of dichlor from Doc for $25. That's a huge difference. My local pool dealer sold me a quart of algecide for the pool for $24 and I bought the same algecide from Leslies but a half gallon for a few dollars more.

I don't go to dealers to ask for help and buy elsewhere. I am a firm believer to support the people I use ... I've been on Doc's site a while now and have received great info and I support.

Yea, but the % of active ingredients may  be different. Shopeprs need to read the lables and not go just by price.  

I use Leisure Time and have had very good results.  YMMV
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 09:50:59 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2006, 12:57:52 pm »

Yea, but the % of active ingredients may  be different. Shopeprs need to read the lables and not go just by price.  

I use Leisure Time and have had very good results.  YMMV

Leisure Tme has 55% chlorine and All Clear has 62%. Most dichlor has between 55% to 62% chlorine with about 56% being the norm. I can get 8 lb tub of dichlor from Leslies for $27 which has about the same active chlorine (52%) as LT. I think the LT stuff sells for about $15 to $18 a 2 lb bottle so ... there's really no difference in the % of active dichlor (3%) but a really big difference in price (25%).

Here's the link to leslies AND it's on sale too!

http://www.lesliespool.com/jump.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&itemID=8080&iMainCat=14&iSubCat=104&iProductID=8080&tabID=2

They sell 2 lbs for $12.

spahopeful

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2006, 03:07:31 pm »
Where are you finding the 5 lbs of dichlor at Doc's site for $25.  I saw 2lbs of Leisure time for around $18 and 5 lbs of some other brand for around $30(especially for wooden tubs).  

How important is it to stick with the Leisure Time brand for Dichlor?  Is it OK to use the dichlor from Leslie's site mentioned above which looks like it is meant for pools?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2006, 03:07:31 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42