What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa Cover Lifters  (Read 4057 times)

joshua45

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Spa Cover Lifters
« on: April 20, 2006, 11:46:42 pm »
Its my understanding that a regular spa lifter puts all the weight of the cover on the "Seam" of the hot tub cover while a spa "Caddy" lifts both halves of the cover equally (the weight of the cover is on the side.

My question is:  Has anyone had the seam rip?  

My concern is that a caddy requires a lot more clearance behind the tub then a 'lifter'.. I'm putting the spa on a deck with a limited amount of space to 'swing' the arm's or cradle of the lifter or caddy.

This is a jacuzzi tub and supposedly they offer a 'prolifter' that only requires 4 inches...

Anyone with any experience with these type lifters????  Any recommendations?

Hot Tub Forum

Spa Cover Lifters
« on: April 20, 2006, 11:46:42 pm »

tanstaafl2

• Keeping a close eye on the new spa...
Re: Spa Cover Lifters
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 12:06:06 am »
My lifter is a very basic one that puts the full weight of the cover on the seam and over time that can't be good.

But my cover saver from Doc's resolved that problem!
In hot water with my '06 Reflections Granada

galen

• Maxxus
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 12:26:34 am »
This is a Cover Caddy III.  It does not have a X bar. Its a three piece cover. The first opening is only 12" wide, so you can put chemicals in without flipping over a large section. But once in the tub, you slide the cover onto the caddy and then it swings down. If you are not using the caddy, it can fold away flat against the tub.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 12:27:36 am by galen »

DPS

• The light was yellow, sir
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 02:20:37 am »
Covermate III's take up very little (5 or 6 inches) behind the spa and seem to take good care of the cover.  They do support the cover across the entire "hinge" area, but I have never seen this damage a cover.  I use them when space is at a premium - Gazebo, small deck or patio, etc.

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 08:52:50 am »
Your cover must be extra heavy-duty if you need to  use that bulldozer to push the cover on the coverlifter?   ;D

This is a Cover Caddy III.  It does not have a X bar. Its a three piece cover. The first opening is only 12" wide, so you can put chemicals in without flipping over a large section. But once in the tub, you slide the cover onto the caddy and then it swings down. If you are not using the caddy, it can fold away flat against the tub.

Artesian Island Grand Cayman

galen

• Maxxus
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 09:00:42 am »
No, TN, you silly goose.  I move the hot tub in every night! ;D

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 09:10:40 am »
ROTFLMAO   ;D ;D

No, TN, you silly goose.  I move the hot tub in every night! ;D

Artesian Island Grand Cayman

Vanguard

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2006, 12:39:42 pm »
If you are getting a Hot Spring, they have their own lifters that mount into cover itself.  They have a metal plate that can be attached to.  Had to be careful with my choice of words there.

Most covers can withstand the bar, but I think it is always best to put as little stress as possible on the seams.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2006, 03:33:02 pm »
You could always build a little base behind the spa that the cover would "sit" on, thus taking any weight off the hinge while the cover is open.

FlightfulKiwi

• ....hot bubbly water please!
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2006, 05:03:09 pm »
galen,

I will be receiving my Maxxus soon so I have some questions about the Cover Caddy (which I also will have):

1) What is the minimum clearance required in order for the Caddy to opperate? I will have the tub in a soft sided (mosquito netting) gazebo and want to work out how much space I really need for the Caddy to opperate.

2) Is it possible to opperate the Caddy by standing outside of the tub, but to the side of the cover and caddy? I don't want to waste any space at the back of the gazebo if I can help it. I would rather stand on the side and lower/raise the cover from that position.

3) The (small) third portion of the cover: does it sit on top of the other two thirds (thus making a stack three deep) prior to lowering the caddy?

Thanks!

[By the way, as this is my first post - I have to let everyone know how helpful you all have been on this forum. I've lurked for the past 2 months and learnt so much from you all. Give yourselves a big pat on the back!]

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2006, 05:14:05 pm »
Yep, that's why I like the CoverCradle®. It doesn't touch the seams.

http://www.hotspring.com/Spa_Showroom_Hot_Tub/accessories_spa_covers.html
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

salesdvl

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2006, 05:27:25 pm »
Josh, To answer your original question... I sold the reg style lifter that goes across the seam for 20 yrs and never had a customer issue with the seam.
Measure once, cut twice.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2006, 09:04:55 pm »
Josh, To answer your original question... I sold the reg style lifter that goes across the seam for 20 yrs and never had a customer issue with the seam.

But you only had 1 customer and he never used the tub! :D

galen

• Maxxus
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2006, 12:46:45 am »
To answer your questions in the order you ask, 1- 36" 2- yes you can but is much easier in the tub. 3"- Yes, but I see no harm in folding it that way.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2006, 12:46:45 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42