What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: When to Buy New Filters  *** READ THIS! ***  (Read 3242 times)

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
When to Buy New Filters  *** READ THIS! ***
« on: April 18, 2006, 04:57:51 pm »
Hi All:

From seeing the length of time many of you have had your tubs as mentioned in another thread, replacing the filters in your spa may not have been something you thought of yet.  Please allow me to share my experience.

Now, even though I don't consider myself CHEAP, I'll use the heck out of something until it gets close to breaking before I replace it. Why? Maybe I'm just lazy.

Anyway, up until last weekend, I had been using the SAME filters I bought with my tub almost 7 years ago. TRUE, they had turned green (not the paper, it was still WHITE, just the plastic - it was originally blue), the threads were so WORN I was using Teflon tape to get them to seat and even after washing them thoroughly, I was having major problems keeping the water clean.  Flow through the filter box was way down, even after a complete cleaning.

So, FINALLY, after hating life, I pooped out the $123 to get 3 new replacement filters (bought them from Doc). They arrived Friday, I did a water change and cleaning on Saturday and me and the E-Bunnies were in the tub on Sunday (I'd post a picture but I don't want Terminator to feel bad).

Well, smack me upside the head and call me STUPID! 7 years is WAY too long to wait to replace your filters.  Ya think I'd have a clue....  ANYWAY, predictably, WOW, I just re-discovered my tub! The water going into the filter box now rocks like the Colorado River in spring, the jets blow me out of the seats and small children no longer can sit in the tub without me fearing for their lives!

Now I'm thinking about buying a second set to rotate and allow for better cleaning (soak them over night in cleaning solution) along with just biting the bullet and replacing them every 3 years or so....

So, that's my story....

Peace and Hot Water....

Drewski

:P
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

Hot Tub Forum

When to Buy New Filters  *** READ THIS! ***
« on: April 18, 2006, 04:57:51 pm »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: When to Buy New Filters Ê*** READ THIS! ***
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 05:56:12 pm »
Great story.  Great advice.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: When to Buy New Filters  *** READ THIS! ***
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 06:05:26 pm »
Thanks for posting - I have tried over the years to find ways to say that to my customers, but they always assume I am simply trying to sell them something.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 06:41:28 pm »
Thanks for posting - I have tried over the years to find ways to say that to my customers, but they always assume I am simply trying to sell them something.

Suggest they replace them annually.  They'll probably just think you're trying to sell filters and wind up changing them every 3 years instead.   :D
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

nicker

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 09:21:50 pm »
ya 7 Year is a long long time.  I have two sets and rotate them each month.  Soak them in solution each month over night and then rinse and let sit till next month.  6 months of the year the filters are being used.  I anticpate on changing them at the 3 year mark.  So 1 to 1 1/2 years of use out of one set.     Price to pay to have a good running sytem I say.

But good on you to share that.  I have a friend with one filter in his tub and I don't think he has every cleaned it yet in almost a year.   But he doesn't listen to what I say.   I guess that is why my water is so nice and his looks like a bubble bath.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 11:05:07 pm »
ya 7 Year is a long long time.  I have two sets and rotate them each month.  Soak them in solution each month over night and then rinse and let sit till next month.  6 months of the year the filters are being used.  I anticpate on changing them at the 3 year mark.  So 1 to 1 1/2 years of use out of one set.     Price to pay to have a good running sytem I say.

Thats exactly how I handle mine.  On my second set of filters now.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 11:05:07 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42