What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: filtering  (Read 2650 times)

anne

filtering
« on: April 14, 2006, 03:10:08 am »
Arctic Summit legend: My tub has three pumps, #1 with 2 speeds and 2,3 with just one speed. No 24 hr circ pump. There is a feature (probably common) called BOOST filtration, which if activated runs pump 1 (and therefore ozone, too) for 45 min on high. This is the recommended thing for after "heavy use".

My question: after soaking, I generally get out, and unless I anticipate boing in again in the next 8 hrs or so, I add 1 tsp chlorine. To get the chlorine mixed, sometimes I do BOOST and sometimes I just leave all three pumps on, with 1 on LOW power. Left on, they'll all turn off automatically in 20 min.   Which is better- BOOST for 45 min or all three for 20? Does it matter? Am I wasting energy having all three on, or is is good to get newly chlorinated water in the plumbing? Or should I just turn them on for 5-10 min, and then manually shut them off when I close the lid?
Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

filtering
« on: April 14, 2006, 03:10:08 am »

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
Re: filtering
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 08:06:01 am »
I was told from my arctic dealer to put my chemicals in, run boost for a cycle, apporx 45min then close the lid.  I think because you need to let chemicals gas off to prevent gas build up under cover, let it do 45 min cycle of boost.  I like the boost cycle because it really moves things around and I would think running all three pumps would use more energy than one pump

3 pumps 20 min
1 pump  45 min    I would say this is better energy consumption.  Maybe im wrong

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 09:55:00 am »
I was told from my arctic dealer to put my chemicals in, run boost for a cycle, apporx 45min then close the lid.  I think because you need to let chemicals gas off to prevent gas build up under cover, let it do 45 min cycle of boost.  I like the boost cycle because it really moves things around and I would think running all three pumps would use more energy than one pump

3 pumps 20 min
1 pump  45 min    I would say this is better energy consumption.  Maybe im wrong

From my limited understand, I'd have to agree with you Bosco.  I am lead to belive that the largest electrical draw is upon start up. Once the motor is spining, electrical consumption drops significantly.  

Starting 3 pumps  would  cost more   than running 1 pump 3X  times longer.

Even assuming start up draw is not an issue, and everything else was equal ...basic math tells us running 3 pumps for 20 minutes = 1 pump for 60 minutes.  Of cousre that would be more exspesive than 1 pump at 45 minutes.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2006, 10:34:32 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 10:57:31 am »
Anne,

I believe only 1 pump is filtering, the one with the boost function.  The others are moving the water around.  If boost is high speed, then even some of the water being circulated in not being filtered.

so, for what you are trying to accomplish, boost is probably best.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

anne

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2006, 11:32:22 am »
Dan, I think you are right that only pump 1 filters. Ozone and pump one are "attached."
I am perfectly happy to just run pump one when adding chlorine, it just seemed to me that more water moving around would mix/dissolve the chlorine better, and that getting new chlorine into the plumbing of pump 2 and 3 might be beneficial. If only pump 1 is active for filtering, then the water in the plumbing of pump 2 and 3 is just sitting there till I get in again. Ew? I have nice clear, fresh smelling water, so I'm not really worried, but any opinions? Anyone had a problem with that?

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2006, 04:38:46 pm »
Dan, I think you are right that only pump 1 filters. Ozone and pump one are "attached."
I am perfectly happy to just run pump one when adding chlorine, it just seemed to me that more water moving around would mix/dissolve the chlorine better, and that getting new chlorine into the plumbing of pump 2 and 3 might be beneficial. If only pump 1 is active for filtering, then the water in the plumbing of pump 2 and 3 is just sitting there till I get in again. Ew? I have nice clear, fresh smelling water, so I'm not really worried, but any opinions? Anyone had a problem with that?

You are exactly correct.  Run all your pumps for five to ten with the cover off to get chlorinated water through all your plumbing.  Run your air blower too if you have one.  Then shut down and close cover.  No need to run pumps longer unless you want to filter.

anne

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2006, 06:29:48 pm »
My customers push the CLEAN button.  That's it.

Terminator

Sorry- how exactly does that answer my question?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2006, 06:30:19 pm by anne »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2006, 06:35:05 pm »
Sorry. :-[

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

anne

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2006, 11:57:52 pm »
No problem ;)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2006, 11:57:52 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42