What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Impeller Housing Leak  (Read 9273 times)

lawdawgva

• 06 Hot Springs Jetsetter
Impeller Housing Leak
« on: April 05, 2006, 09:58:00 pm »
Well, I did the spring water change thing today and all was going well.  Got the tub drained, cleaned, cleaned the filters, etc....    Filled the tub up and after the water level was sufficient I turned on the pump to blow any residual air out of the lines.  While I was getting ready to put the compartment cover back on, I noticed some water in the bottom around the pump.  

Upon further inspection, I saw that the water is "spitting" out around the seam where the two halves of the impeller housing fits together.  Just taking a quick glance it looks like it is held together by about 7 or 8 philips head screws spaced evenly around the housing.

Can anyone tell me if this is a handyman special?  I'm fairly good with mechanical stuff in general.   I'm assuming the pump and impeller housing is all going to have to come out in order for me to access it properly which will probably include me either moving or REmoving the heater which is (of course) in front of it.  Both the "in" and "out"  PVC unions on the impeller look like they have knurled grips on the ring, do these unscrew?  What do I ask for when I order the part? Impeller housing gasket??

Sorry for all the questions, but I want to do this right and not screw up anything else in the process of trying to fix it.  1997 HotSpring Sovreign.  Thanks guys and gals!
They're not doughnuts, they're glazed bagels.

Hot Tub Forum

Impeller Housing Leak
« on: April 05, 2006, 09:58:00 pm »

oldersparepairguy

• Take the gun, leave the cannolis
Re: Impeller Housing Leak
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 10:41:34 pm »
The leak may be just a large oring that seals the front of the pump to the back. But, due to the age, You should also replace the shaft seal while the pump is apart. Sometimes the impellor breaks when trying to remove it, then you need an impellor. I do not recomend you tackle the pump rebuild if you have not done one before. You could save money by removing the whole pump/motor, and bringing it in to a reputable pump repair place. Some motor repair shops due pump repairs, and some spa pool places offer bench service of carry pumps.

lawdawgva

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 10:48:47 pm »
Thanks Oldsparerepairguy.....I didn't think about carrying it in, that might be another good option.  I guess things have to break sometime, I just wonder why mine went when it did, right after the water change.   I seem to have bad memories of changing transmission fluid in my vehicles, every time I have done it, the transmission started acting up.    :)  I think the mechanical things in my life are rising up against me!

I found a brand new wavemaster 7000 online for 380.00 with free shipping.  I didn't think that was too outrageous and I've had several people tell me that I'm asking for a headache if I rebuild the pump.  Confusion, confusion.  Thanks again for the advice.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 10:53:41 pm »
Buy it. :D
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

oldersparepairguy

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 11:07:11 pm »
The Wavemaster pumps are great pumps. Just be sure it IS the pump leaking, and not a union (the things that allow you to unscrew the pipes) They have orings that keep them sealed to the pump, and when they leak, the water can run along the outside of the pump,drip off the bottom, and appear to be a leaking housing. Also be sure to Hand Tighten Only! those unions. They will crack if you man handle them with a wrench.

st18901

• '86 Sovereign!
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 01:53:10 am »
I'm going to actually be voice of dissent.

Rebuilding a pump is pretty easy and parts are cheap.

I rebuilt my '86 HS pump for 26 odd dollars.

I do agree - when you open it up, replace the shaft seal along with the main gasket.

Here's an excellent website, which I printed and followed verbatim when I did the job. I didn't have any unexpected problems.

http://www.spasupport.com/seq/werep/index.html

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 12:50:59 pm »
Now that the spa water is hot has the leak stopped?
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

lawdawgva

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 04:11:14 pm »
I have not had a chance to check it since the water heated.  I will do that when I get home today.  The water temp was about 50 deg. going into the tub when I did the water change.  I will definately report back this evening.

-Sarge

lawdawgva

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006, 04:54:31 pm »
Well, I dont' know what kind of hunch you had hottubpoolboy, but I just got home and checked the impeller housing and it was dry on the outside.  I then turned the main pump on and one single drop of water fell off of it but nothing else.  

So, is this  a sign of impending pump failure or was it because the 50 degree water shrunk the seal which was an hour before at around 102?  Any insight will be appreicated.  Thank you guys for all your help as it seems I am out of the woods for the moment anyway.

PS-  Someone forwarded me a link for some kind of "stop leak" for spas that you just pour in.  Kind of like the stop leak for your radiator on your car.   I am assuming this is a bad idea, right?

-Sarge

oldersparepairguy

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2006, 07:37:58 pm »
"Stop leak" type chemicals is a whole other argument. But I will bive my 2 cents here. Firstly, many spa parts suppliers I deal with that sell strictly to trade professionals will NOT stock the stuff. They seem to feel is is afin to snake oil. As for if it works, I have heard mixed results, but even if it does work, I am skiddish about the stuff, becuase the way it works. Its great if the chemical coagulates in the leak, and stops the leak, but I wonder what else the stuff is sticking to, and what possible long term negative effects might arise. That being said, I just advised just such a produst for one of my customers, here's why:
The customer had this spa donated to them, and are not very attached to it.

The proper repair involves flipping up the spa, and doing numerous in foam glue joint leak repairs. It's an early Coleman spa, that had an issue with a type of glue used back then. This would involve lots of labor.

So in his case he was not going to pay to have it fixed 100%, and intends to keep running it untill he gets sick of adding water every couple days.

I told him he could get the stuff online, but gave him my views. He has just gotten his hands on some, and will give me a call after he treats it to tell me how things went.

Well, thats my 2 cents........and then some!

hottub.pool_boy

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2006, 09:54:32 pm »
I'm good for something, sometimes. Older hotsprings used a starite pump with a stainless steel band holding the two halves of the wet end together. On initial fills-water cold-pump leaks like crazy if you run it. Let the spa heat up- no leak. We still get calls like that every month on older ones we sold. Never have to make a service call- fix it right over the phone. Parts in contact with water shrink and expand at different rates. sometimes it pays to be patient and wait and see. It may not completely silve the problem, but may buy you sometime. It may be it. Keep us posted.

oldersparepairguy

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2006, 09:08:35 am »
I'm good for something, sometimes. Older hotsprings used a starite pump with a stainless steel band holding the two halves of the wet end together.  

Parts in contact with water shrink and expand at different rates.

According to my data, his '97 soverieghn uses a Wavemaster, part #71699. I thought the Satrites were earlier??  As for the parts in contact with cold water, I beleive that is what George Castanza called "shrinkage"  ;D

Just curious, where is the oldest HS dealer in Massachusetts located?

hottub.pool_boy

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2006, 07:27:06 pm »
sorry older,
my fun computer is at home. Been minding the store(paper work, paper work,,,,,). We're in connecticut. Check us out if you'd like. www.scarritt.com. On our site, my very best most interesting stuff is the Fishing pics--- located all the way at the bottom of our home page you'll see---"interesting tidbits about scarritt"

About the pump, i was just reminising, wavemaster's don't use the s.s. band.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 07:28:29 pm by hottub.pool_boy »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2006, 07:27:06 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42