What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Need advice on a used D1 Chairman II spa?  (Read 11103 times)

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
Re: Need advice on a used D1 Chairman II spa?
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2006, 04:07:56 pm »
This is a similiar situation I had come up Saturday:

A lady called me that had bought a HotSpring Vista from me 2 years ago, paying $10,500.  Her husband is suffering from severe heart trouble (nearly 400 lbs) and can't use the spa anymore.  Her kids are off at college and she doesn't need that big spa anymore.  She wanted to sell it for $6000!  I told her to give me 15 minutes.

I called a friend of mine who had just bought a 10 year old HS Highlife for $3000 that he did some refinishing on.  He was interested in the Vista so I called another guy who was looking for an old HS, he went and bought the Highlife for $4000, my friend went and bought the Vista for $6000.  Three happy people.

My reward for all this happiness creation?  A case of Shiner Bock!

Look around hard enough and you can save some serious money on a high quality spa. :)

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2006, 04:07:56 pm »

Brookenstein

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2006, 04:14:25 pm »
I've got an 05 HS Envoy.  It was barely used.  I looked for more than 4 months before I found the right tub for me.

I was very close to buying a Jacuzzi 385 last fall....
(I found some of my old posts, and thought this might be helpful to you.)

Its an 04 J-385 with stereo that he's had since June of 04.  He's got about $250 worth of chemicals, a gazebo that he's throwing in as well.  He was asking $4500.  I have him down to $4k.

After seeing it,
Here were my issues:  

1)The man is a jerk.  His story is changing and he rubs me the wrong way.  Originally I was told the asking price when he bought it was $12, he paid just over $10.  He also told me that the gazebo was $750.  Today the gazebo cost $400 and spa was $12 and since used spas should go for 1/3 he won't take less than $4k.  He argued with me again about the warranty being transferable until he finally called Jacuzzi to prove me wrong, only to learn I was right.  But then it didn't matter because Jacuzzi is the best, thats why he bought it, and it won't need the warranty.    

2)  When I walked around the spa... the synthetic wood siding looks warped and it is not on straight.  I swear every single panel is not lined up with the one next to it.  They could be off by more than a 1/2 inch (left panel 1/2 inch higher than the panel to the right of it).  Seemed odd to me.  I pointed it out to him and he had never noticed.  He assumed the warping was from the pumps underneath?

3)  He reluctantly agreed to take the panel off the front for me and there was a loose hose dangling.  Hmmm... apparently the ozonator hasn't been connected.  We called Jacuzzi and were told to put it on the bottom of the blue box.

4)  The gazebo is a joke.  It's already rusting and the top is ripped in at least 3 places.  The lighting is cheesy red, white, and blue rope lights they added.   No thanks.

5.  He wouldn't throw in the discconect/GFCI.

6.  I find it odd that he's had other people interested in it and yet nobody has bought it.  IME, the spas that are priced right are going quick... this has been listed for about 10 days.

BTW, delivery was quoted at $450... but I'm guessing it will be higher.  I didn't hit much traffic coming home and it still took 2 hours to go the 98 miles.

I'm beginning to think for $4500 (including delivery) I can find something better.

Anyway, I'm glad I was patient and it all worked out in the end.  

My main advice from experience is, have the money ready and jump on the tub when it seems 'right'.  Most tubs priced right were selling within a day or 2 and by waiting for a weekend, for them to email pics, or whatever I missed out on a few tubs.

squale

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2006, 04:24:40 pm »
how much is the HS Envoy new and how old was it when you bought it?  what did you pay for the tub?  did they throw in a cover lifter, chemicals, GFCI, steps, etc...?

did you move it yourself?

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2006, 03:53:00 pm »
Squale, I just wanted to bump this up for you as it never seemed to attract the attention of any D-1 dealers.

One current dealer on this forum is a stickler for pointing out when questions go unanswered by certain competing spa companies, so you can imagine my shock at realizing his blatant disinterest in your post.  Hopefully, he'll practice what he preaches and lend you some assistance.

Hope this helps.

Terminator  

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2006, 04:48:04 pm »
Hmmmm.....day 5.   ???

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2006, 05:03:48 pm »
Flash a little more leg there, Term.....that always draws 'em in. ;)
RIP C-Rod

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2006, 05:09:21 pm »
Flash a little more leg there, Term.....that always draws 'em in. ;)

I guess since you're relatively new to the forum that you are unaware that I lost both of my legs in a tragic bypass-valve accident.

I now have titanium prosthetic legs made from HotSpring factory reject heaters.  However, they are very shiny and might, in fact, be useful in drawing attention to Squale's plight.

Terminator
« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 05:37:33 pm by East_TX_Spa »

Tatooed_Lady

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2006, 05:15:12 pm »
*lol* I bet Richard Simmon's legs are still shinier than yours.....
RIP C-Rod

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2006, 05:34:24 pm »
*lol* I bet Richard Simmon's legs are still shinier than yours.....

I think not.....

Terminator
« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 05:49:30 pm by East_TX_Spa »

Tatooed_Lady

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2006, 08:21:48 pm »
I dunno, Term.....it's a close race, here.......
RIP C-Rod

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2006, 10:39:09 pm »
I think not.....

Terminator

Wow - I knew you had something cut off and sewn back on, but I didn't know it was your legs.

BTW - do those legs have ground-fault protection?

::)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 10:40:02 pm by Chas »
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2006, 01:45:09 am »
Wow, how much weight can a HS cover take? ;D  My six year old daughter got on top of the cover like this today and it almost gave me a heart attack.    

I think not.....

Terminator

2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2006, 06:40:37 am »
I just came across an ad in my local paper for a 9-month old used D1 Chairman II spa.  The spa comes with an EZ Lift Cover lifter.  The seller is asking $8,000 but that seems high to me being that the local dealers will sell this tub for $9,500-10K.  This particular spa has the White shell, I think they call it UltraLife or something..

This is a very nice tub that should sell for around 9 grand or maybe slightly more for a savy shopper. 8 grand is to high for it used no matter what the condition. An offer of 6 would not be outa line. Yes they deprieciate that quickly. Just like a boat 25 percent the day you buy it.
1.) What do you think is a good price for this used spa?  The owner says it's in excellent condition.

See above

2.) Is the warranty transferable to me if I were to buy this spa?

No

3.) What is the best way to move a spa like this?  It's about 40 minutes (25 miles) away from me.  I have a pickup truck with a trailer that I use for 2 ATV's, cut I put the spa down on that?  Are you allowed to tip the spa onto one of it's sides or do you need to keep it in the normal flat position as it would be when you use it.  I just don't want to damage it in any way like the plumbing, etc.

Sounds like the trailer will work great, matter of fact thats how I move them here in Northern Minnesota. Tip it up on the equipment side with a couple moving blankets underneath, 2 guys can do it. It's hard to get started but bring a couple small chunks of 2x4 to slide underneath it with your feet as your struggling to get it started. Then back the trailer right next to it about 2 feet away and gently let it down on the trailer, then go to the equipment side and tip it up and slide it on, I make sure I am sliding it on a couple 2x4's under the entire width of the spa. Then tie it on and away ya go. Theres several ways to get it off but it depends on where its going to go.
4.) How long has the Chairman II been around?  I read the reviews on this site for the Chairman but they didn't mentioned the Chairman II, not sure if they are different models or not.

Very nice lounger model spa. Not sure if the Chairman has been replaced by this one or if they just stopped making it. You friendly neighborhood D1 dealer can answer this.

5.) Has the 2005 and 2006 Chairman II models changed at all?  I am assuming this seller has a 2005 model year.

There may be some slight changes but it won't matter.

6.) What are peoples overall feelings about this particular spa?

D1 makes a quality product that lasts a long time.

Retired

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2006, 05:37:22 pm »
Squale,
I just saw this post…I’ve been busy with my step son and his significant other bringing our 3 grand child into the world. That 2 this month and three in a little more than a year so I was a bit preoccupied! At least we got a little girl this time!!

I would be happy to pull the serial # up for you and get the service history.

I don't think that $9K is a bad price for a 9 month old C2 as long as that includes everything...that means delivery, warranty and everything.

My question is, how are you protected if the dealer decided not to warranty it? Do you get something in writing?

The Chairman is a very expensive spa for many good reasons. Any time you can save over a $1000 dollars on one you win as long as you get a warranty.

I personally would think that you could negotiate it down to between $7500 and $8k pretty easy but first find out about how the dealer is planning on handling the warranty for you outside of the manufactures term.

You other option is to see if the dealer can find you a factory blem for around the same price.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2006, 05:37:22 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42