What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Update on "Grandee Kaput"  (Read 4501 times)

georgiapeach

Re: Update on "Grandee Kaput"
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2006, 10:54:32 am »
I stopped selling pH balancing chems years ago. If you read the label you will usually find that they must only be used in a very narrow hardness range. Most dealers don't mention that for some reason, I didn't because I had not read the entire lable, but using that product in water outside of the hardness range causes major calcium blocking of anything hot. Guess what's hot? The heater of course, but also the circ pump.

The heater is covered by a no-fault warranty and gets replaced at Watkins' expense. But if my guess is correct about this - and of course none of us are there - but if I have guessed right, you lucked out on the circ pump.

The check valve may have been an ozone part, and they just do that from time to time - not related.

Hey Chas,

I guess I did luck out on the circ pump, because everything seems to working just fine now.  As far as the "Perfect PH"....I just added a bottle of it on Saturday when I did my refill....are you suggesting I don't use it anymore?  What about Ph Up and Down?  I guess what I'm asking is....how do I get PH at the proper level if not using the Perfect PH.  And....do you think I need to drain again or can it wait until it's time again?  And in your opinion (which I value... :-) ), should I be putting 1 oz of Metal X weekly in the tub?  

Thanks so much!
Peachy

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2006, 10:54:32 am »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2006, 11:15:59 am »
Hey Chas, ....are you suggesting I don't use it anymore?  What about Ph Up and Down?  I guess what I'm asking is....how do I get PH at the proper level if not using the Perfect PH.  And....do you think I need to drain again or can it wait until it's time again?  And in your opinion (which I value... :-) ), should I be putting 1 oz of Metal X weekly in the tub?  
I don't recommend the pH balancing chems. Stick with pH up and pH down as needed and you'll be fine.

As for refilling the tub: I would. Water is the cheapest 'chem' you can add to the tub. If it's a real hassle to do this, then try this: turn off the power and open the drain or start a syphon. Let it just run out until the tub is about eight inches down from normal. Close the drain or stop the syphon. Refill. You will have just changed about half the volume of your spa and that might very well be enough. Also, it will heat back up quickly since your tub will be lukewarm when you are done. (Leave the cover closed while doing this)

As to metal stuff - I do think they are good insurance. I used to say "cheap insurance," but prices have crept up a bit...
;)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

georgiapeach

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2006, 11:52:51 am »
I don't recommend the pH balancing chems. Stick with pH up and pH down as needed and you'll be fine.

As for refilling the tub: I would. Water is the cheapest 'chem' you can add to the tub. If it's a real hassle to do this, then try this: turn off the power and open the drain or start a syphon. Let it just run out until the tub is about eight inches down from normal. Close the drain or stop the syphon. Refill. You will have just changed about half the volume of your spa and that might very well be enough. Also, it will heat back up quickly since your tub will be lukewarm when you are done. (Leave the cover closed while doing this)

As to metal stuff - I do think they are good insurance. I used to say "cheap insurance," but prices have crept up a bit...
 ;)

Okay.....I'm going to do it, but tomorrow!  I want to get in my hot tub tonight....haven't been in there since last Thursday... :-(  
Thanks so much for your advice!  I really appreciate it!  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2006, 11:52:51 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42