What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: hot tub Deck Plans  (Read 9284 times)

newdivision

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
hot tub Deck Plans
« on: March 20, 2006, 09:12:23 am »
HI!  Am am new here and I am planning to build a new deck this spring for entertaining and a hot tub to be purchased early to mid summer.  I have two questions. First: I am trying to find a computer program for designing the deck. I have tried Big Hammer but it only allows for decks with many footings. I live in Connecticut and I want to dig as few footings as possible. If you have ever tried to dig down 42" in the North East you know why. The dimensions of the deck will be about 16' by 32' attached to the house on the 32' side. I have seen some decks here that have only 4 footings.
Second: my house has wood siding that has been covered with aluminum(sp) siding and i need to know how to attach the ledger board with the proper flashing for such a situation.
I know this forum is mostly hot tubs and believe me I will soon inundate you with hot tub questions, but first I need a solid place to but said tub.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

hot tub Deck Plans
« on: March 20, 2006, 09:12:23 am »

Anoroc

Re: hot tub Deck Plans
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 09:16:48 am »
Not an expert but I believe you will need alot of footings if plaicing a hot tub.  I understand that concrete footing placed 32 inches from center are ideal, 6x6 framing posts, 2x8 beams double up, and 2x8 joists 16 inches from center.  This configuration should support 110 PSF

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 09:31:08 am »
If a program says you need footing - you need footings.

You will not be able to get away with 4 footings - I have a 16' x 28' deck and I have about 15 footings - 6 under the hot tub alone.

I rented a power auger on wheels and you also can rent a bobcat with an auger attachment.

If you don't do it right - it could be disasterous! Depending on the size of the tub you can be looking at many TONS of weight

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 10:49:07 am »
the BONUS to all this, however.....is if you know where the tub is going to be on the deck, you can reinforce THAT area for the extra weight, and do a "normal" deck for the rest...
RIP C-Rod

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 12:04:59 pm »
Hey Newdivision:

Yep, that NE rocky soil is fun to dig in, but like Vinny said, you NEED footings.  Rent a 2 man gasoline powered auger at the local Home Depot (about $45 a day) for a much easier method than digging.

Most DIY software for decks ASSUMES you use 2X dimensional lumber with single boards for beams and joists, meaning the national buidling code standard of 8' between footings is generally required.

Now, you don't HAVE to build like this.  Using heavy timber (6 X 6, or even 8 X 8) for beams will get you to longer spans, or laminating 2X lumber in 3 or 4 to form beams will get you there as well.  Just remember, a hot tub could easily weigh in at 5000 LBS+ when filled and in use, meaning proper support is essential. If you are building more than 3 FT off the ground, also keep in mind wind loading and the shearing force caused by wind loading.  I'm sure you wouldn't want to hear a loud ripping sound one winter morning during a Nor'easter and suddenly see daylight through what used to be a wall....  

As far as the flashing goes, I'd be VERY careful in making sure you are covered correctly. The aluminum over your wood needs to be flashed up at least 6" between the wood and aluminum, then down and over the ledger board by at least 2".  If you DON'T do this, rain will hit the deck, reflect up under the aluminim siding, and eventually cause rot.  I'm not sure of your local code, but they do make some good black PVC sheeting for this purpose, or the traditional lead and/or copper.  Make certain whatever you use is heavy duty because you CAN'T replace it.  Also, make certain you don't have metal to metal electrolysis issues with the aluminum.

Click here for an earlier link to one of my posts on deck building, if you need it.

Good luck!

Drewski

It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

newdivision

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 12:15:13 pm »
Thanks for the info. I knew that I would have to dig alot of footings, but I did not want to dig any more than needed.

Drewski,

What you suggest about larger posts and beefeir joists is exactly what I am looking for. The program that I have will not allow me to adjust post or joist dimensions. It only allows 4"x4" posts and 2"x8" joists. When I increase the load specification to 200lbs (the programs highest) for live and dead it tells me I need 27 footings useing the 4"x4" and 2"x8". I am looking for a program that will allow me to set up a design with larger posts, beams and joists. I would rather spend more on the lumber and dig less footings. In addtion to the New England rocks I have four very lagre oak trees and I know there will be root problems.

Thanks again.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 12:42:07 pm »
You can try the Hot Springs website, they have a program there. Or go to your local lumber yard or Home Depot - they have professional software that should do the trick.

My tub's deck is designed for more than 150 PSF and the main deck is designed for about 70 PSF.

I used 6x6 posts, 2x10's for the beams and joists and enough metal to hold it all together... it's overkill but I have piece of mind.

IBinit4fun

• I love this tub,... ...puts a big smile on my face
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 12:52:14 pm »
Visit Home Depot, Lowes or a local lumber company. They usually have experts on staff that can calculate loads and help with deck designs. Also, you should be able to find out your county requirements on the internet. Sounds like you are going beyond the "average Joe" and may need to consult an architect or structural engineer. I'd be surprised if you found a free design package with that kind of versatility. Maybe a local university might be able to hook you up with students, profs, or a library reference that could be of help.

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 02:03:42 pm »
I was at the Home Depot buying a hot tub (just kidding) and picked up a free landscaping CD-ROM.  I've yet to play around with the design software, but you might want to stop and pick one of these up.  I found it near the landscaping rocks & stepping stones.
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

luvin_tubin_sqezin

• Kiss my cartoon butt!
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2006, 06:27:34 pm »
http://wiki.ehow.com/Build-a-Hot-Tub-Platform

this might help as well.

good luck.

Better than I deserve...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2006, 06:27:34 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42