What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Testing Chemicals Levels  (Read 3533 times)

CapMorgan

Testing Chemicals Levels
« on: March 13, 2006, 06:38:03 pm »
Is there a better way to test the chemicals in your water besides using test strips? I am having a hard time trying to get a color match on the PH level, so im not sure what my PH level is.

CapMorgan

Hot Tub Forum

Testing Chemicals Levels
« on: March 13, 2006, 06:38:03 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Testing Chemicals Levels
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 06:47:17 pm »
You have come to the same revelation that many of us have. I find the strips OK for reading Chlorine levels, but impossible for PH.

Many people love the Taylor Test kits which retail for around $50.  I had just logged on to mention that  Walmart, here in Ohio carries pool and spa stuff on a seasonable basis and they are now stocking up. They carry a test kit from HTH that sells for $14 and I think it works great for PH, Chlorine, Alkalinity, and Hardness. It also measures Cyranic acid levels, which I pretty much ignore.

Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 07:21:58 pm »
I tell our folks to give the test strips a chance for a few months before they bail on them.

Sad to say, most new tub owners over-care for their new tubs in the extreme.

You don't need to fine tune the pH and TA - just keep them in the right range - and for heaven's sake don't test more than once a week.

Also - at the end of your first month of ownership do a water change (Chas' Law).

Enjoy your new Caldera !!
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

KarlXII

• Me before the spa
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 07:25:48 pm »
I tell our folks to give the test strips a chance for a few months before they bail on them.

Sad to say, most new tub owners over-care for their new tubs in the extreme.

You don't need to fine tune the pH and TA - just keep them in the right range - and for heaven's sake don't test more than once a week.

Also - at the end of your first month of ownership do a water change (Chas' Law).

Enjoy your new Caldera !!

Why the water change that fast, Chas?  ???

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 07:42:59 pm »
For the first while, the tub is used heavily and the level of watercare knowledge is lacking. Good watercare is about the ability to be proactive and prevent problems before they arise. I don't agree that you should drain "just because" but be prepared to within the first month if you didn't receive good advice from your dealer on proper maintenance.

Test strips are a guide line only and a poor choice for accurate water testing IMO. My suggestion for accurate water care analysis is have reagents that test for pH (phenol red) and Chlorine/Bromine (OTO) and have your dealer perform a monthly water test for Alk, Calc hardness and TDS. It doesn't get easier than that!

Steve

CapMorgan

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 11:00:59 pm »
For the first while, the tub is used heavily and the level of watercare knowledge is lacking. Good watercare is about the ability to be proactive and prevent problems before they arise. I don't agree that you should drain "just because" but be prepared to within the first month if you didn't receive good advice from your dealer on proper maintenance.

Test strips are a guide line only and a poor choice for accurate water testing IMO. My suggestion for accurate water care analysis is have reagents that test for pH (phenol red) and Chlorine/Bromine (OTO) and have your dealer perform a monthly water test for Alk, Calc hardness and TDS. It doesn't get easier than that!

Steve

Hi Steve what is TDS

CapMorgan
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 11:01:26 pm by CapMorgan »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 11:15:15 pm »
I've done this over two decades now. Sheesh, makin' me feel old.

I have found that the combination of over-attentive owners, newbies at the various chemical balances, 'help' from friends and relatives, large crowds, tons of use, various leftovers from manufacturing and shipping - and the fact that your pores get 'deep cleaned' and the gunk winds up in your spa all contribute to the fact that a one-time water change at the end of the first 30 days makes thing just that much easier.

Water is the cheapest chemical you can add to your spa.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 11:31:42 pm »

Hi Steve what is TDS

CapMorgan

TDS (Total dissolved solids) is the measurement that determines when your water requires draining and refilling. Normally at 1500ppm TDS, your water is saturated (much like a cup of coffee with 5 tablespoons of sugar in it which sits at the bottom of the cup) and needs to be drained. Most dealers test for this for free when a sample is taken in though it is possible to purchase a TDS meter.

http://www.rhtubs.com/store/test-kits.htm
Check about half way down for TDS strips through Doc's store. I've never used these so I'm unsure of the accuracy of them personally.

Steve
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 11:35:59 pm by Steve »

KarlXII

• Me before the spa
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 12:42:18 pm »
I've done this over two decades now. Sheesh, makin' me feel old.

I have found that the combination of over-attentive owners, newbies at the various chemical balances, 'help' from friends and relatives, large crowds, tons of use, various leftovers from manufacturing and shipping - and the fact that your pores get 'deep cleaned' and the gunk winds up in your spa all contribute to the fact that a one-time water change at the end of the first 30 days makes thing just that much easier.

Water is the cheapest chemical you can add to your spa.

Really? I havenīt even gotten my first tub yet and I feel old already.  :o

When you put it like that it makes sense. When you have water like normal people I'm sure it's the best thing to do.
Now, I got my own well. And there's lots and lots of iron in the water, so I do not want to get that into the tub. I do have filters that cope with normal use of water, but to do 425 gallons at once is impossible. So I will order a truck with fresh water from a water plant. Costs 400$.   :P

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 01:23:03 pm »

I've never used these so I'm unsure of the accuracy of them personally.

Steve

The ones I have tried read out 500  1500 and 3000.  I consider that like hanging a thermometer that reads Kelvin outside your door.   "Honey its 350 today, get my parka,and  if you live in Ohio,  Honey, its 355 today, where is my suncreen and golf clubs!
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2006, 04:54:02 pm »
Now, I got my own well. And there's lots and lots of iron in the water, so I do not want to get that into the tub. I do have filters that cope with normal use of water, but to do 425 gallons at once is impossible. So I will order a truck with fresh water from a water plant. Costs 400$.   :P

I wouldn't suppose that those pre-fill filters would get enough of the iron out to make it worthwhile, huh? (I've seen them online, haven't seen much info on their usefulness in a case like this)
RIP C-Rod

KarlXII

• Me before the spa
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2006, 06:08:28 pm »
I wouldn't suppose that those pre-fill filters would get enough of the iron out to make it worthwhile, huh? (I've seen them online, haven't seen much info on their usefulness in a case like this)

No idea. I've seen them too.
I doubt they can handle it though.
Iron is hard to just filter away.

But thanks for the tip. :)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2006, 06:08:28 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42