What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: COSTCO Home Selling CAL Spas  (Read 6519 times)

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
COSTCO Home Selling CAL Spas
« on: February 27, 2006, 09:05:54 am »
I was in a Costco Home in Phoenix this past weekend and they are selling CAL Spas ranging in price from $4K to 8K. The 8K one had rock veneer siding and 3 pumps.  It also had one seat with 40 jets.  None of the sales people new anything and they did not have any brochures.  Gotta love it, looked like they where selling them like crazy.  I saw at least 3 couple on a Sunday afternoon seriously looking to buy.  

Hot Tub Forum

COSTCO Home Selling CAL Spas
« on: February 27, 2006, 09:05:54 am »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: COSTCO Home Selling CAL Spas
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 09:10:21 am »
At least the buyers should be able to find service when needed.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 12:38:00 pm »
I wouldn't count on it.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Snyper

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 01:19:11 pm »
I was at the 3 local Costco's over the weekend and each one only had an off brand/no name "spa".

Funny thing was, as I was renewing membership at the one I usually shop at, some lady was giving them hell about the "piece of sh*t spa you all sold me!". Seems she can't find anyone, anywhere to service it. It broke down 5 weeks after purchase.

I feel sorry for her because she is in way over her head.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 04:33:31 pm »
Companies who sell spas to home centers and mass merchants have a huge job just keeping the head office for the chain happy. In some cases they have to keep a local district manager happy. Either way, this is a huge job, because the stores tytpically want lower prices, instant shipping and they also want the vendor to take back spas for customers who 'aren't happy.' For whatever lame reason.

So you have a small hottub manufacturer who spends all their time keeping X-Mart happy, which means they have no time left to try to keep the end user happy.

I know that I sell against these folks, and you can dismiss this as whatever you want to call it, but it is generally a lose-lose situation to buy a spa from a mass merchant.

The exceptions would be somebody who has skills with appliance repair and a good set of tools, who also doesn't mind fixing minor problems themselves. If that's you, you may end up with a good deal. But even then you won't know for sure until you get it in your yard since you can't wet test...
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Chris_H

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 05:02:57 pm »
Are you sure it wasn’t a tent sale from a local Cal dealer that happened to be in the Costco parking lot?

I know one manufacturer previously had an agreement with Wal-Mart (or someone like Wal-Mart) where you could rent part of the parking lot out for a weekend tent sale.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 06:12:09 pm »
What's a Costco Home?
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

NJDave

• It's just more fun to be in hot water!
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006, 09:24:22 pm »
Chas is right. Don't assume just because a major spa manufacturer is being sold at a Big Box Store, that you will actually get service. In this industry, service comes from your dealer. So, if a Big Box X-Mart/Depot Store decides to sell spas this week, the quality of service you recieve, if any will depend on the seller. During the years of 1998-2001 The Depot sold thousands of spas made by Jacuzzi. Like most Big Box Stores, Depot asked Jacuzzi to make the cheapest price spa possible. It had 1/8" spray coat of insulation, which gives youy high heating costs and no support for plumbing. The spa shells were known for cracking. They were equipped with small pumps with tiny jets, with very little pressure. The motors were cheaper, with many failing in or just out of warranty. The cabinet frame was made of yellow pine and spruce, not treated. The cabinet had a cheap redwood laminent glued to particle board. The frames and cabinets rotted out in no time. The warranty for the spa was 1 year parts and 90 days labor. It was a nightmare for both Jacuzzi and Depot. Most folks were attracted to the dirt cheap prices and the 12 months no payment no interest, not realizing they were actually getting a 2 or 3 year throw away spa. With the Big Box Stores, it is all about price and price only. The store will not provide service for you, just direct you back to the manufacturers 800 toll free number. If you go into a Big Box Store spa purchase knowing it is low quality, with a short life expectancy and are handy and have experience with plumbing, electronics and electrical, then it may be ok for you. You can buy a quality spa once and last 15 years or you can but 5  cheap spas, that last 3 years each, that will give you 15 years. Where's the real value, in low price or high quality? Dave.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 09:25:27 pm by NJDave »

J._McD

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2006, 10:46:12 pm »
NJDave, all of us couldn't agree with you more, BUT it is the shopping consumers that believe dealers are artifically overpriced based upon what the discounters sell their spas for.  They truely believe that the spas at Costco, Sam's, Lowe's, Home Depot, the "want ad" warehouse are all coming from the same place we buy our stuff, the HotTub manufacturer's.

This is only because they want to buy a hot Tub but can't believe the prices, well neither can we.  Prices are going up every year because we buy the durable goods and service them.  Discounters buy the cheaply manufactured goods that come with a name, look "just the same" and are priced in the sucker bait range.  Did you know that you can buy a Hot Tub with 41 Jets, CD Player/Stereo, Steps, Coverlift, and Ozonator Included for $3,999.  http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11109366&whse=&topnav=&browse=&s=1

No wonder people think dealers are making a fortune on over priced Hot Tubs, have yachts and limo's.

I wish someone would ask them for a water test. ;D :o

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2006, 11:44:30 pm »
Costco Home is a different store than Costco.  They sell mostly furniture.  They also sell pool tables, Spas, outdoor grills, outdoor furniture, cabinets, blinds etc.  Check this article out:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/260826_retail25.html

The Cal Spas where not a tent sale.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 11:45:42 pm by marks »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2006, 12:38:27 am »
I can't speak for every region but it's interesting to note that here, many of these box stores are retailing spas closer to the $9000 range as opposed to $5000 in the past.

As my friend Marks suggested, these stores are generally poorly equipped to offer comprehensive buying advice nor are trained to help the consumer make a wise choice based on their specific needs.

I would LOVE to have a conversation with someone who decided to purchase one of these units to determine the reasons they chose a box store and determine the level of research they made prior to making this expensive investment in their health and overall well being.

Steve
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 12:39:19 am by Steve »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2006, 03:03:26 am »
Better yet Steve...I would Love to have a conversation with them 5 years from purchase to see how they feel about the purchase! ??? ;)

Chances are they either won't own the spa or drained it long ago and it still sets in their back yard.

The bigger problem to me is the group of people that buy a spa from a big box store thinking that the experience is similar to purchasing from a dealership...I've had these people say to me that they would never own a spa because of all the issues with spas in general. They have no clue that it's not owning a spa that is an issue but rather owning a poorly made, poorly supported product.

I wonder how many people they sour towards spa ownership in the long run because of their own poor decision?

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2006, 10:56:39 am »
On the other hand, how many choose to work with a professional the 2nd time around?
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2006, 11:19:10 am »
I thought CostCo had an unconditional return policy. At least thats how some other poster on here justified his Costco spa purchase. I guess that was just a bunch of B.S.

I was at the 3 local Costco's over the weekend and each one only had an off brand/no name "spa".

Funny thing was, as I was renewing membership at the one I usually shop at, some lady was giving them hell about the "piece of sh*t spa you all sold me!". Seems she can't find anyone, anywhere to service it. It broke down 5 weeks after purchase.

I feel sorry for her because she is in way over her head.

If you like it and you want it BUY IT!

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2006, 12:12:58 pm »
You make a good point Stuart.

Could you imagine making a purchase like this based on the fact that Costco has an unconditional return policy (maybe)? What these consumers are missing is this the fact that this purchase is based largely on the support factor AFTER THE SALE from your dealer!

When a consumer has little knowledge of watercare or the overall operation of their spa and how to get the most enjoyment out of it, is it such a mystery that these people don’t have access to this type of information and are therefore not as happy for the most part? If this purchase seems like a lot of work, the spa will not be used as often and the odds of referrals drop dramatically. A very key aspect of owning a spa dealership than only a handful exceed at doing.

I’m not saying you can’t be content with a box store purchase, but I am confident that these consumers buying a spa from there are not getting the best information available to them to maximize the enjoyment of this purchase. It’s interesting to note that often when there is a problem with watercare or a service related issue, the first place they got to for help are the stores they chose not to deal with to save a few bucks…

Since these consumers “saved”  ::) so much money in their purchase, it would be somewhat justified to double the price of a service call or the cost of watercare when they enter your store for help correct?

Just venting....I'll shut up now.... ;)

Steve

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2006, 12:12:58 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42