What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Eco One  (Read 5888 times)

dsommerl

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Eco One
« on: February 24, 2006, 05:33:30 pm »
I'm changing over to Eco One.  Am in the tub cleaning phase.

Once I get up and going.  The directions say to use a sanitizer---I'm planning to use dichlor.  However, I can't find instructions on how much etc to use.  Am told that using Eco One greatly reduces the need for the sanitizer but some is still needed.

I'm also confused as the need for shocking.  I want to use a chlorine based shock--vs non chlorine.  How much and how often should I shock and with what?

Have a J cuzzi 375 model---480 gallons

Hot Tub Forum

Eco One
« on: February 24, 2006, 05:33:30 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Eco One
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 05:40:37 pm »
Go to their site and e-mail them.

When I was interested in Eco one, they answered my questions.

dsommerl

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 11:03:15 am »
Would have done that--except their website offers no contact info nor email for product info (or anything else I can see).

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006, 11:07:08 am »
at the bottom of this page is a contact phone number, if the info you're looking for isn't on the page......
http://www.ecoonespa.com/html/instructions.html
best of luck!
RIP C-Rod

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2006, 11:19:48 am »
Their page has changed drastically since I went to it. There used to be a "contact us" or a FAQ area.

dsommerl

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2006, 11:28:33 am »
I sure couldn't find it either.  I just called their 877 number--but I guess it's Saturday---office closed.

Anyway---I'm confused.  Assume I want to use dichlor as my additional sanitizer (did I refer to that correctly?).  How much and how often should dichlor be added to the spa ?  
My understanding of the Eco One system is that the monthly bottle/treatment---needs additional sanitizer----it can't stand alone--as  the one and only spa additive. I can't find what a typical dosage should be.
I don't want to use non chlorine "shock" such as Leisure Time Renew----as it contains MSP (?)---which some people have had allergic reactions to.  
I have very sensitive skin---have broken out in various rashes since I bought my spa last July.  This Eco One system is my last try for success----if I fail this time---my spa will likely then go on the market---I will give up.
I need a basic education on this Eco One system--the local dealer where I bought it doesn't seem to know anymore than to read the instructions as I have done.

dsommerl

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2006, 12:18:39 pm »
I did find some help on one of the EcoOne dealer websites.
AFter the cleansing---and drain and re fill--they prescribe
1)n install a nature2 cartridge in the filter compartment
2)Add 1 oz of dichlor per 250 gallons
3)balance ph to between 7 and 8
4) heat to desired temp
5)Add the Econ One monthly treatment bottle
6)Add 2 caps of the ecoone filter boost in filter compartment
THEN
After each use---add 1 TBL spoon of Rnew non chlorine shock

My question now is what else can I use instead of the Leisure Time Renew product?---to shock the spa?---household bleach?----more dichlor/ (how much to shock?)

THEN---on a weekly basis----they say to add one teaspoon of chlorine (dichlor)---per 250 gallons

Again---I want to get away from Renew which contains MPS----are there any other "non" chlorine based shocks that do not have MPS?  I know I"m not allergic to chlorine---for sure----it's all the other stuff in the Lieusre Time system I'm trying to avoid---especially the Renew stuff which I've read has caused users alot of problems--people with sensitive skin--like me.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2006, 02:11:26 pm »
The "problem" with chlorine and enzymes is that chlorine thinks that the enzymes need to be neutralized so ... if you use chlorine as shock then the enzymes will be oxidized out.

Why don't you try using 1/2 teaspoon per person when you get out of the tub or the next morning and see how the tub goes. If you get any cloudiness then add more or if you go say 3 days and it gets cloudy then go 2 days and add some chlorine. As far as shocking - you need about 10x the combined chlorine level and I believe with enzymes you get less combined chlorine so you need less chlorine.

There's a person on Doc's board that uses a teaspoon a week of chlorine but uses a different system.

Every so often I read about someone who can't use a tub due to sensitive skin. I looked into Eco One because my youngest son had/has sensitive skin but luckily he's OK with my Chlorine routine.

Good Luck!

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2006, 02:11:36 pm »
I did find some help on one of the EcoOne dealer websites.
AFter the cleansing---and drain and re fill--they prescribe
1)n install a nature2 cartridge in the filter compartment
2)Add 1 oz of dichlor per 250 gallons
3)balance ph to between 7 and 8
4) heat to desired temp
5)Add the Econ One monthly treatment bottle
6)Add 2 caps of the ecoone filter boost in filter compartment
 THEN
After each use---add 1 TBL spoon of Rnew non chlorine shock

My question now is what else can I use instead of the Leisure Time Renew product?---to shock the spa?---household bleach?----more dichlor/ (how much to shock?)

THEN---on a weekly basis----they say to add one teaspoon of chlorine (dichlor)---per 250 gallons

Again---I want to get away from Renew which contains MPS----are there any other "non" chlorine based shocks that do not have MPS?  I know I"m not allergic to chlorine---for sure----it's all the other stuff in the Lieusre Time system I'm trying to avoid---especially the Renew stuff which I've read has caused users alot of problems--people with sensitive skin--like me.

I would skip the MPS each use and substitute a small amount of dichlor (1 tsp max).  If you do this, I don't think you'll have to shock at all unless you register any combined chlorine.  I don't think you will.  If your combined chlorine (total chlorine - free chlorine) does reache .2ppm, then shock with either chlorine or MPS.

dsommerl

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2006, 02:25:48 pm »
I'm not a first time spa user.  For over 10 years I had a Jacuzzi Quantum and in those days (5 plus years ago)---the only sanitizing choices were Bromine and Chlorine.  I tried Bromine and has a a bad skin reaction. Then switched to chlorine---dichlor I guess---and was fine.  In those days all I ever did was add dichlor----and shock weekly with household bleach---along with maintaining proper PH levels along the way--regularily.
Once I got on this simple routine--I never had any skin irritation problems.
THEN---I bought a new spa last July and began the Leisure time "system"---ever since then it's been terrible.
I believe the tub was infected with the dreaded follicle bacteria bug---as my skin rash matched those symptoms---but my dermatologist also said to carefully check ALL the chemical additives I was using.  
Not knowing which was my REAL problem--I am going the Eco One route----for another and perhaps last try.
This past week---I super chlorinated the existing water---over 100ppm dichlor---AND---used Swirl Away---at twice the dosage and twice the time prescribed.  I drained  all yesterday---continued to flush it with clean water--and refilled.
This morning I started the Eco One routine---starting with the "Spa cleanser" step---which is where I am now.---I plan to leave that in for the next week or so----and then drain it all out---flush some more.  Refill and go to the Eco One monthly bottle next step---with some chlorine additiive in minimal dosage.
That is my full story.  And again----am trying to avoid the MPS "Renew" product--as have read this has caused some people skin irriitation problem/s.  Thus my Q on WHAT shocking procedure to use.

dsommerl

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2006, 02:32:09 pm »
to continue----

Of course---maybe I should just go back to square one---where I was successful a long time ago---just chlorine--dichlor and bleach for shocking.  It worked for me a few years ago----maybe that's my real answer (vs all these "exotic" new chemicals)
A concern is potential damage to the equipment.  BUT---the ole Quantum held up for 15 years just fine on the chlorine/bleach program
Maybe I'm cyncial---(I know I am)---but---is the "hype" about scale---etc etc potential damage to internal components the "real deal"?  (for instance on the Leisure time program--it's Metal Gon upon fill---Defender--every week---this then and that whenever etc)----is it all over kill?
Some more of my rambling thouhts

How about just going chlorine---PH balancing--and bleach for shock?----Is this all anyone REALLY needs--afterall?

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2006, 02:33:06 pm »
The nice part of enzyme systems is you only need to maintain a minimal chlorine level to have a safe spa.  I don't beleive you will ever have to shock your spa in the traditional sense with enzymes.  You may have to add a little more dichlor to help it along if it clouds up, but that is it.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2006, 02:43:37 pm »
to continue----

Of course---maybe I should just go back to square one---where I was successful a long time ago---just chlorine--dichlor and bleach for shocking.  It worked for me a few years ago----maybe that's my real answer (vs all these "exotic" new chemicals)
A concern is potential damage to the equipment.  BUT---the ole Quantum held up for 15 years just fine on the chlorine/bleach program
Maybe I'm cyncial---(I know I am)---but---is the "hype" about scale---etc etc potential damage to internal components the "real deal"?  (for instance on the Leisure time program--it's Metal Gon upon fill---Defender--every week---this then and that whenever etc)----is it all over kill?
Some more of my rambling thouhts

How about just going chlorine---PH balancing--and bleach for shock?----Is this all anyone REALLY needs--afterall?

I have used bleach to shock.  Works really well as long as you keep the water balanced and don't spill any.  I use liquid chlorine in my small pool when my CYA levels get marginal.  I have never had to shock that pool.  I now shock my spa with MPS because I don't like to be without use of the spa from a shock dose of chlorine and I think it does a better job.  I use liquid chlorine in the spa if the pH needs to be increased.  Once a week I like to get my free chlorine levels to above 3 ppm because I use Nature2 and a minimal dosage of dichlor after use.  I only shock when I can measure a combined chlorine level.  As a general rule, this is about every other week.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2006, 02:48:27 pm »
To add...if I was going to shock with chlorine, I would use bleach and use dichlor just after use.  You use a whole lot less product, you don't contribute to CYA or TDS.

The downside to this is most manufacturers prohibit the use of liquid chlorine in a spa.

dsommerl

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2006, 02:58:07 pm »
Tony--thanks  alot for bearing with me on this project.

Okay----Here's what I"m going to do-----AFTER I go thru the Eco One cleansing process and drain and refill the spa--I am going to

1) add 2 ozs of dichlor (1oz per 250 gals X 2 as I have 480 gallons)
2) check PH and adjust to between 7 and 9
3) Heat spa
4)Add Eco One monthly bottle
5)Add the Eco One filter boost to filter compartment--2 caps as directed
THEN
Weekly---add 2 teaspoons of dichlor (1 tsp per 250 gallons X 2)--and regularily check PH as always.

Otherwise---I will only add additional dichlor--IF the spa turns cloudy----(not regularily "shock" the spa)

Does this routine sound like a good one (at least to start)?

Thanks again for "staying with me" on this

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2006, 02:58:07 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42