What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Jacuzzi 385 Drain, Clean & Fill  (Read 3915 times)

Snowbird

• What did he say?
Jacuzzi 385 Drain, Clean & Fill
« on: February 15, 2006, 01:52:44 pm »
 :'(
Boy, Did I mess up this tub!   :-[  Woke up this AM to a gray cloudy viscous tub.  I have been fussing with it for a week now and that was the result.  

So... enough was enough.   >:(  Decided to drain it, clean it, fill it up and follow the K.I.S.S. theory... ozonator, Nature2 stick, new filters and Activate as the dealer instructed (2oz Activate after each use, 4oz Activate as a shock each week and 1/2 cup Clorox once a week.

But before that, it needs to be empty and clean.

I followed the instructions to drain it (took about 90 minutres thru a 1/2 inch garden hose), but there is still water in the seats and foot well.  I can use the shop vac to suck that stuff out, but what about the pumps and lines?  How do I get the water out of there? Will the shop vac work on them too? :-/

I ran water INTO each jet trying to back flush it and through the filter fittings and this seemed to do some good.

It would be a shame to do all this work only to contaminate the new water with residual stuff in the lines.

Jacuzzi requires all jets to be covered before operating the pumps so it would have to be filled with 500 gallons before turning the pumps on.  That would dilute the pumps and lines but waste a lot of water.

Finally, what do you use to clean it.  Dealer recommends Mr. Clean Eraser pads with some windex.  They also say that the tub can be waxed but it isn't really necessary and does little good other than giving my arms exercise.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  :)
The World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers

Hot Tub Forum

Jacuzzi 385 Drain, Clean & Fill
« on: February 15, 2006, 01:52:44 pm »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Jacuzzi 385 Drain, Clean & Fill
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 02:01:04 pm »
:'(
Boy, Did I mess up this tub!   :-[  Woke up this AM to a gray cloudy viscous tub.

I can use the shop vac to suck that stuff out, but what about the pumps and lines?  How do I get the water out of there? Will the shop vac work on them too? :-/

I ran water INTO each jet trying to back flush it and through the filter fittings and this seemed to do some good.

It would be a shame to do all this work only to contaminate the new water with residual stuff in the lines.

Jacuzzi requires all jets to be covered before operating the pumps so it would have to be filled with 500 gallons before turning the pumps on.  That would dilute the pumps and lines but waste a lot of water.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  :)

Viscous? That's a pretty nasty way to describe spa water.
Cloudy? yup. Viscous? eeew. :o

The shop vac is a good idea.  Normally, I'd say that leaving the residual water in the plumping would be fine, but you scared the hell out me with that "viscous" comment.  ::)

I used the Mr Clean erasers to remove any scum that forms along the water line.  Does' your shell look and/or feel dirty?

Typically the drill is get the water out as best as possible via drain and shop vac.

Filll

Sanitize

Put in clean filters.

Enjoy!

« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 02:01:36 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Perk1

• Relaxed when wet....
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 03:54:16 pm »
As Drew mentioned dont worry much about the minimal amount of water left in the lines.  When you add 500 gallons of fresh clean water, any nasties left in the line will be so diluted they will easily be killed with your initial shock.

I also use windex and a product just like the Mr Clean Eraser with good results.  

It is also a good time to 303 your cover...since you are in cleaning mode....LOL....

Snowbird

• What did he say?
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 05:02:24 pm »
Viscous? That's a pretty nasty way to describe spa water.  Cloudy? yup. Viscous? eeew. :o

I used the Mr Clean erasers to remove any scum that forms along the water line.  Does' your shell look and/or feel dirty?

Well, maybe viscous is too strong a word.  But it wasn't anything I wanted to soak in.  It was a little greasy feeling though.

When you add 500 gallons of fresh clean water, any nasties left in the line will be so diluted they will easily be killed with your initial shock.

I also use windex and a product just like the Mr Clean Eraser with good results.  

It is also a good time to 303 your cover...since you are in cleaning mode....LOL....

I was concerned that whatever was in the tub might be microbial and would multiply again in the fresh water.  There is no chance I would remove the sides and disassemble and drain the pumps and lines, but the shop vac claims to have 170 mph blowing speed (don't say it) so I used it to blow the lines and pumps out through the filter fittings.  Works like a charm.  Lines are dry and my glasses and T-shirt are soaked!

I thought we had Windex but it is something else that feels soapy so I will only use the Eraser pad and some towels.  

I just happen to have a spray bottle of 303 ready to go.  Haven't used it yet.  Is it as good as everyone says?

Thanks for the advice.

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 05:06:13 pm »
...the shop vac claims to have 170 mph blowing speed (don't say it) so I used it to blow the lines and pumps out through the filter fittings.  Works like a charm.  Lines are dry and my glasses and T-shirt are soaked!

Yanno......I've got a buddy that would LOVE to try that shop vac....NOT for that, get your mind out of the gutter!!  He just loves to do things like put wiffle balls in snow throwers, to see how far and accurately he can shoot stuff...I'd think he'd knock out windows with that vac...lol....

Anyone tried a leaf blower to blow out lines? I don't have a shop vac.....yet.
RIP C-Rod

Snowbird

• What did he say?
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 09:48:41 pm »
Ta-Da!!!

A clean tub.  Put the power to it at 8:20.  The water temp was 48 degrees.  Took this pic at 9:24 and it was 55 degrees.

Should be ready for a morning soak while we watch the cardinals, chickadees, nuthatches, bluejays, woodpeckers, gold finches, doves and sparrows eat breakfast.

Life is grand once again.  8)

T-Lady, the floating blanket is out on the deck.  I want to wash it off tomorrow before putting it back on.  I will send you a pic if you like. S-bird

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006, 07:55:06 am »
T-Lady, the floating blanket is out on the deck.  I want to wash it off tomorrow before putting it back on.  I will send you a pic if you like. S-bird

*LOL* I was looking for that when I saw the pic!!
Sure, why not....I think the "tub gadgets and toys" should have a topic of their own.....matter of fact, I'm going to start one.....
RIP C-Rod

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006, 07:55:06 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42