What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: wood cabinet  treatment  (Read 5033 times)

t6texan

• Tiger River Begal
wood cabinet  treatment
« on: February 02, 2006, 05:56:40 pm »
I have a 01 tiger river bengal with wood cabinet . How should i clean and treat it so that it will last many more years? I am refilling it right now as we speak and noticed it is starting to look weathered and dirty. Can i use redwood stain on it like i did on my redwood steps, or is there a water proofer i should use?

Oh by the way where are you Terninator?

thanks T6

Hot Tub Forum

wood cabinet  treatment
« on: February 02, 2006, 05:56:40 pm »

st18901

• '86 Sovereign!
Re: wood cabinet  treatment
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 07:37:17 pm »
I recently redid an old (1986) spa.
First, I acid washed the wood with Oxalic acid.
Sprayed it off with a hose and let it dry.

Then, I sealed the wood with Thompson sealer.

The whole process is pretty easy and painless, and the difference is like night and day.

Here's a link to an earlier thread about the project, with pics.

http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=wtb-hottub;action=display;num=1132725545;start=0

jim97219

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 09:51:02 pm »
Not sure about Thompson's.  Consumer Reports doesn't think much of their stuff.  

With my old tub,  I stripped it with Cabot's Deck Stripper and followed it up with their oxalic acid.  Then I stained it using some deck stain from TimberPro: http://www.timberprocoatings.com/  I liked having the tub and the deck match.

Jim

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 09:52:32 pm »
I use a good wood cleaner first, then stain with Super Deck transparent stain.  It is the same product many spa manufacturers (used to) use.  www.superdeck.com.

lawdawgva

• 06 Hot Springs Jetsetter
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 11:05:59 pm »
Last summer, I refinished the cabinet on my 97 HS Sovreign.  I bought it used and the cabinet had not had any maintenance since it was new.  I sanded it lightly, wiped the whole cabinet with a rag and some mineral spirits, let everything dry well and then put two coats of Thompson's Plus wood protectant (rustic red) color.  It turned out very well.  I have heard a lot of people say that they didn't like Thompsons, but personally it has always done a great job for me.  I do use the "Plus" so maybe that's the difference, it was about 15 bucks a gallon at Wal Mart.  I have it on my 16x24 deck and privacy fence also and it always holds up very well especially on vertical surfaces.  I'll usually recoat the deck boards or hand railings once a year, but I will get 2 or sometimes 3 years out of the vertical surfaces before they need recoating.

-Sarge
They're not doughnuts, they're glazed bagels.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006, 08:25:44 am »
I also use the super deck stuff- seems to work pretty good for me.  I also use some type of wood cleaner- IIRC it's a powder that's mixed with water- that cleans and brightens the wood.
I've heard of some people using tung oil.  That one intrigues me- I may have to try it someday.

Brewman

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2006, 08:49:55 am »
Super Deck actually has tung oil in it.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2006, 09:36:13 am »
Oh by the way where are you Terninator?

thanks T6

t6texan, I've been busy setting up shows.  Boat show last weekend, home show this weekend.  Broke a tooth and had to have a root canal.  All that, plus my court-ordered sensitivity training, is running me ragged.

My underling, Amy, will be at the store this weekend should you require any service.  See ya!

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2006, 09:36:13 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42