What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Quick question  (Read 3520 times)

kayaknva

• Jacuzzi J355
Quick question
« on: January 18, 2006, 08:11:31 pm »
Ended up with a Jacuzzi j355 and I need to know which side the electrical hookups are on, figured there would be a few owners on here. Is it under the LED  and is that the short side(91x84)? My buddy is coming by tomorrow to run the electrical and we need to know how much sealtite to leave and where.

Thanks in advance!!

Hot Tub Forum

Quick question
« on: January 18, 2006, 08:11:31 pm »

kayaknva

• Jacuzzi J355
Re: Quick question
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 08:36:59 pm »
Oh, and the hot tub doesnt get delivered till Fri..

Snowbird

• What did he say?
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 08:41:13 pm »
The hook-ups on my J385 are directly under the control panel.  But we ran the #6 wire in from the left corner as you view the panel.

FYI: Electrician told me the latest local code (Allegheny County, PA) requires an insulated ground from the shut off to the tub ground bar.

The World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers

ssbraun

• '05 Maxxus
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 10:51:45 pm »
copy/paste this web page to your address bar for manual / pre-delivery info 1/2 way down on right side of page:

http://products.jacuzzi.com/nd/jpmv2.d2w/detail?LENGTH=&WIDTH=&COLLECTION=AND%20CECOLL%3D|~|300|~|&JETS=&HEIGHT=&SEATS=&CAPACITY=&SEARCHREQ=1&NOITEMS=0&SUITEID=&PG=J-355&PAGE=

Good luck!

Steve

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 08:26:44 am »
 You may have a couple places on the spa to run your electrical in- there may be a couple grommets on the sides for this.  You can also probably run the wiring up upder the spa- this works well for those who run their lines underground.  Makes for a neat install.  
Get your owners manual and pre install guide for complete information.  

I'd think it's pretty common to require an insulated ground wire from your disconnect to your spa.  I had to have insulated ground on the entire feed from the main panel, thru a sub panel, to the disconnect, and to the spa.  No romex was allowed on any leg of the wiring circuit.  One thing I learned with wiring my spa was how much of the NEC is open to interpretation of the local inspection authority.

Brewman

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 03:14:46 pm »
 One thing I learned with wiring my spa was how much of the NEC is open to interpretation of the local inspection authority.

hahahahahahah. not only that, but the local municipality can chose which NEC codes they want to "adopt", OR not adopt.. or they may chose to write their own dang codes.....

Additionally, while many municipalities may adopt the entire NEC, they may be YEARS behind. e.g. current codes can be as old as 1996 NEC codes. You could do electrical work up to 2005 NEC guidelines and FAIL an inspection due to the municipality still following 1996 guidlines.......
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2006, 04:14:16 pm »
Our city bows to the state board of electricity, and they seem to be pretty current.  I found out the hard way what an ARC Fault breaker was when I got my spa wiring inspected as part of a larger basement finishing project.  
All in all the process went well, the inspector was reasonable, but thorough.
Brewman

kayaknva

• Jacuzzi J355
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2006, 09:35:53 pm »
Thanks for all the help. We ran a seperate ground from the GFI breaker to the tub. That should be enough considering the run is only 15'.

Thanks again

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2006, 05:04:37 am »
Brewman, this part of the state chose to ignore the state codes and follow a strict municiple code offering instead. Thats what kills me is you can have differing codes in different states. and differing codes in different citys within the same state, and you can also have a different interpritation by a particular inspector that may or may not see it the same as a different inspector in the same municipality. Go figure, and to top that off different days of the week and moods may determine if a particular job passes or fails also.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2006, 05:04:37 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42