What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Just started shopping... so confused!!  (Read 5461 times)

arnisarn

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Just started shopping... so confused!!
« on: January 09, 2006, 12:24:20 am »
We have finally decided to take the plunge and buy a hot tub. After measuring spaces up, down, sideways, backwards, and forwards, we ventured out to look.  We aren't sure we are at the wet test stage yet.

Have done a lot of research on the net and found this site so have decided to sign on and ask for some opinions (and, yes, I've read enough to know that a tub has to fit our needs, not the marketeer's claims).  So far, we've looked at Cal Spa, Caldera, Hot Spring, Tiger River, Artesian, and Jacuzzi.  We plan to keep looking... next stop will be Marquis.

We are in the No. VA area and, have so far, been pretty impressed with the dealers we've talked to so far.  We both agree, after 36 years, that we always walk away from the hard sell.

Would love to read some opinions... especially if you have had dealings with spa dealers in our area.

Thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

Just started shopping... so confused!!
« on: January 09, 2006, 12:24:20 am »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Just started shopping... so confused!!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 05:48:05 am »
Sounds like your on the right track. Keep notes so you can go back and review. There's reviews from owners of all the brands your looking at on this site and a few others. Make sure to talk to some folks who have dealt with the dealers your considering. Call an independent repair guy and see first off if he is independent (or connected to a local dealer) but if he is not connected what brand he likes.
Retired

cappykat

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 10:09:33 am »
I'm a Marquis owner and love my Epic, but all those brands offer good quality hot-tubs.  Best advice I can give is to wet test, wet test, wet test.  That's the only way to know if the hot-tub is the one for you.

2005 Marquis Epic

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 10:13:38 am »
HI Arnisarn,

Good luck finding the right ub for you.   To help narrow down your search, maybe letting people know what features and price you are looking for might be a good idea.

Do you have a price/budget?
How many people will be using the tub on a regular basis?
Are you getting the tub for a specific therapy issue, or an all around tub?

Any space/size restrictions on the tub? Where will it be located?

Any must have features? (loungers, steroes, etc)?

Good  luck!  :D
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 10:15:19 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 11:14:43 am »
 So far, we've looked at Cal Spa, Caldera, Hot Spring, Tiger River, Artesian, and Jacuzzi.  We plan to keep looking... next stop will be Marquis.

Would love to read some opinions... especially if you have had dealings with spa dealers in our area.

Thanks.

You've visited (most of the big hitters so after seeing each once, sit down and pick 3, 4, 5 to wet test. If you don't think you're ready yet to wet test give each a follow up visit to ask about setting up a wet test but first ask some follow up questions and take a few notes so you can compare later at home (what do I get with the spa for that price and what are the terms, what is your warranty like and who services them, how long have you been in business, can a get a couple references today, etc.). People always get confused about which way to go when they have that many to choose from but once you wet test you'll find it'll probably narrow it down substantially by eliminating a couple and possibly highlight one or two as optimal.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

socal

• so it begins
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 11:49:28 am »
those are all good brands. and you will find alot of good information from the owners/dealers on here.
its easy to feel overwhelmed with all the information you will receive while shopping. you will also hear alot of "product" words (ie. tri-zone/durabase on marquis lines), and if you need clarification on anything we (the board) would be happy to help.

socal
Marquis dealer

Guzz

• I sell HotSprings & other things as well!
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 11:56:17 am »
How was your experience at the Hotspring/Tiger river dealer, compared to the other dealers you visited?

rick_in_cleveland

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2006, 01:02:39 pm »
Sounds like its now time to wet test.  Most dealers will let you wet test in the evening after they close.  Wives don't like to wet test with alot of shoppers around.  Those I tested closed Saturdays at 6, then we wet tested and after that  out to dinner.  It makes a great cheap date.  Remember to wet test, wet test, wet test.  Its a big $$ investment and you don't want to be second quessing yourself after you buy.

arnisarn

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2006, 06:00:52 pm »
Thanks for the input so far.  

We don't want a stereo or TV!!!  Just one more thing to have to fix.  I'd rather replace the boombox if it falls in!!

Users - 2 rather new members of AARP with occasional visits from 3 grown kids.

Therapy - not specifically.  We started out thinking that the warm, moving water would do us wonders, but have listened to and read information about specific jets and therapies.  So that could be morphing... I didn't think about how a specific jet could help my knees, ankle, and wrist that have had multiple surgeries.  I did know, from my internist, of the value for my Type 2 diabetes and, of course, we recognized the relaxation factor for my husband's hypertension.

We will be putting the tub under our story-high deck.  We don't want to have a crane nor do we want to have to add a lot of additional support under the deck.  We are looking forward to retiring and moving in 2-3 years and wouldn't want to pay a mover to get it off the deck!!
There is good access and plenty of room under the deck and if we want to look at stars, we will just have to do that before we soak.

We have had no expectations about costs, but know we don't want to spend more than $10K to include site prep, electricity, etc.  However, one important thing I have learned on this forum already is about the possibility of negotiating.  It never occurred to us... so far what we have gotten is "I'll throw in the steps at no charge..."  We plan to pay cash so I feel that we should be able to get a little bit better deal... let me know if I am wrong in this thinking.

I haven't liked the various stories I've gotten about which method uses the least chemicals.  I've heard everything from basically none with the ozonator to still adding chlorine or bromine so have to do more research on that.  Need the least chemicals due to allergies and sensitive skin.

We had a pretty good experience with the HS/TR dealer.  The guy who helped us is a retired guy who works there because he owns one of the tubs.  So far, no one has been too pushy and only one dealer has done anything to irritate me and turn on my BS radar.

One advantage we have, I think, is that we are definitely not wed to any one tub at this point.  We like the idea of a lounge, but are not locked in on having that since we are seeing how other seats with leg and foot jets can be just as good or, maybe, better.  

Have any of you heard or read anything about the claim that Jacuzzi is the only "high volume, low pressure", therapeutic, approved by hospitals.... ?  Just wondering if this is just a line we were fed.  Sounded pretty specious.

Anyway, can't wait to start wet testing, but will go to see the Marquis, maybe LA, and then make another research round.  That will help us judge if the dealer is serious... we've used this method before when making a big purchase.  Thanks for your help.

arn

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2006, 06:20:01 pm »

Therapy - not specifically.  We started out thinking that the warm, moving water would do us wonders, but have listened to and read information about specific jets and therapies.  So that could be morphing... I didn't think about how a specific jet could help my knees, ankle, and wrist that have had multiple surgeries.  I did know, from my internist, of the value for my Type 2 diabetes and, of course, we recognized the relaxation factor for my husband's hypertension.

The hot water in all of them will make it feel great. Beyond that they'll all claim great jets and seating but only a wet test will truly reveal which is best (though many of them should pass this test).

We will be putting the tub under our story-high deck.  We don't want to have a crane nor do we want to have to add a lot of additional support under the deck.  We are looking forward to retiring and moving in 2-3 years and wouldn't want to pay a mover to get it off the deck!!
There is good access and plenty of room under the deck and if we want to look at stars, we will just have to do that before we soak.

Take measurements and confer with the dealer. They should know what fits and if needed they should do a site check (ask if that is available if needed).

We have had no expectations about costs, but know we don't want to spend more than $10K to include site prep, electricity, etc.  However, one important thing I have learned on this forum already is about the possibility of negotiating.  It never occurred to us... so far what we have gotten is "I'll throw in the steps at no charge..."  We plan to pay cash so I feel that we should be able to get a little bit better deal... let me know if I am wrong in this thinking.

You're going to get one heck of a tub with a 10K budget.
Some dealers leave more room for haggling than othes but I'm also the type that always wants to try and see what I can get before I accept a quote. It certainly never hurts to ask.  
Talk to the dealer about how long of a electrical run you'll ahve (above ground, below, attic, etc.) and while they won't be quoting it they should be able to give you a ballpark as to what you'd be looking at.

I haven't liked the various stories I've gotten about which method uses the least chemicals.  I've heard everything from basically none with the ozonator to still adding chlorine or bromine so have to do more research on that.  Need the least chemicals due to allergies and sensitive skin.

Ozone is a very good option IMO but don't believe any of the "and you won't need chems with it" stories. They are trying to tell you what they think you want to hear. You still need to use some chlorine with ozone but it makes managing the water noticeably easier IMO.

Have any of you heard or read anything about the claim that Jacuzzi is the only "high volume, low pressure", therapeutic, approved by hospitals.... ?  Just wondering if this is just a line we were fed.  Sounded pretty specious.

That's the second time someone has mentioned that as of late. That is pure salesmanship.

220, 221, whatever it takes!

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2006, 07:58:38 pm »
Maybe since Consumer Reports won't rate hot tubs, AARP will.  I would actually like to see an article in AARP about the benefits of hot tubs because by the time you hit AARP age (50), you deserve to have something that makes you relax, sleep well and feel younger!
Support your dealer so they can support you!

imbarbra6

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2006, 08:01:43 pm »
It was me who mentioned before that a Jacuzzi salesman said during a presentation about their brand being the only one approved/certified by hospitals.  It sounded suspicious when he said it but who was I to question it?  Until coming to this forum I didn't know any better. Personally, I don't care for Jacuzzi and it's all because of the cabinet. The pickets are uneven and looks junky. When I mentioned this to the Jacuzzi salesmen he told me it was just the way they were.
My hubby and I are still somewhat confused too but everyday I learn a little bit more, thanks to all the wonderful folks in this forum  :)

Barb

J._McD

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2006, 10:09:05 pm »
You could make any one of 10 different decisions on almost any of the Hot Tubs mentioned on this forum and simply kick youself for taking so long to make that decision.

As we all know, you are exposed to what the salesman says and it is intended to sway your decision making prowess his way.  You already seem to have a very good handle on life and getting through it.  Keep an eye open for who you feel comfortable with and confirm you intuition here in the forum.

We don't sell stars and we have nothing to gain or loose for that mater, but I will tell you, if you came in to our store, we would do everything we could to alleviate your issues of concern, as we would be developing the onset of a long relationship.  That dosen't mean you would end up buying from us, but if we had the right product for your needs, it would be hard not to.

Good Luck, and keep us posted along the way.

imbarbra6

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2006, 11:36:55 pm »
arnisarn..  I could be wrong and so please forgive me but, I have been under the impression that hot tubs and hypetension were not a good mix. ??  I could be wrong but it seems like I heard that "somewhere".

Barb

imbarbra6

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2006, 11:39:23 pm »
Yikes  :o

I meant "hypertension".  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2006, 11:39:23 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42