What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Ozone Works for Me !!!  (Read 5962 times)

pratzert

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Ozone Works for Me !!!
« on: January 11, 2006, 10:55:40 am »
I know there are two camps on the subject of Ozone. But I want to state that for me it works ! I have a Jacuzzi J-350 that I've had for a couple of years. Apparently the ozonator stopped working but I did not notice that the Ozone symbal stopped appearing on my display. For a couple of months recently, I just could not stay ahead of keeping my water crystal clean like it usually is. My wife also started complaining of the odor. I was adding more chlorine than ever and it would not clear up completely. Well, I finally discovered that the ozonator was not working and replaced it with a brand new unit. Lo and behold, perfect water again within a couple of days of installing the new unit. Smells great too !
So, say what you want, but I am now, absolutely convinced of the benefits of an ozonator in a spa.
Before anyone says it.... NO... I do NOT work for any pool or spa company and have nothing to do with selling ozonators. I'm just a poor working slob who has a hot tub.
Just wanted to tell you all "my" experience.
Also, thanks to John Frye ( n1oty) for his help in selling me the replacement ozonator.
Tim

Hot Tub Forum

Ozone Works for Me !!!
« on: January 11, 2006, 10:55:40 am »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Ozone Works for Me !!!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 11:01:42 am »
What type of ordor did you smell?  
07 Caldera Geneva

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 11:12:23 am »
I know there are two camps on the subject of Ozone. But I want to state that for me it works !

We're in the same camp on this one. Nothing gets between me and my CD ozonator.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

pratzert

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 11:12:34 am »
It was like a stale, musty, dirty sock odor.

Since replacing the ozonator, it's fresh and mildly sweet.

Very pleasant now.

Tim

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 11:15:01 am »
It was like a stale, musty, dirty sock odor.

Since replacing the ozonator, it's fresh and mildly sweet.

Very pleasant now.

Tim

Yup. Dirty sock odor. I Experienced it once when I was low on sanitizer.  
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 11:17:05 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

pratzert

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 11:25:35 am »
Thing of it was... I wasn't low on sanitizer.  I had been shocking like heck to try to clear it up.

But the ozonator put it over the top.  Cleared up the water and converted to a clean smell.

I have read that the ozone systems for spas have improved a great deal with the addition of the "mixing chambers" that keep the ozone in contact with the water for a longer period of time.

I never dreamed it made such a huge difference in the water quality.

Tim

« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 11:26:10 am by pratzert »

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 11:50:36 am »
OK, great news that you are happy with your ozonator. However, you say you were adding more chlorine than ever. Is that to say you were shocking the water with chlorine. See the issue there is when the water contains chloramines, adding more chlorine does not help. That is when you add potasiummonopersulfate, or other names "Activate" "Spa Shock" "Renu" etc. This product burns out excessive organics, and turns the chloramines back in to chlorine, and TA DAAAaaa no more dirty sock smell, and no ozonater needed. Just some info for those that do not have, need or want an ozone unit also sometimes called "The most common reason for gfci tripping."  

Thing of it was... I wasn't low on sanitizer.  I had been shocking like heck to try to clear it up.

But the ozonator put it over the top.  Cleared up the water and converted to a clean smell.

I have read that the ozone systems for spas have improved a great deal with the addition of the "mixing chambers" that keep the ozone in contact with the water for a longer period of time.

I never dreamed it made such a huge difference in the water quality.

Tim

If you like it and you want it BUY IT!

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 12:09:26 pm »
You and I are in the same camp.

OK, great news that you are happy with your ozonator. However, you say you were adding more chlorine than ever. Is that to say you were shocking the water with chlorine. See the issue there is when the water contains chloramines, adding more chlorine does not help. That is when you add potasiummonopersulfate, or other names "Activate" "Spa Shock" "Renu" etc. This product burns out excessive organics, and turns the chloramines back in to chlorine, and TA DAAAaaa no more dirty sock smell, and no ozonater needed.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006, 12:27:58 pm »
You and I are in the same camp.

Our tents smell like fresh linen.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

ssbraun

• '05 Maxxus
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2006, 12:28:20 pm »
See the issue there is when the water contains chloramines, adding more chlorine does not help.

Not so...shocking with chlorine destroys chloramines just as well as adding MPS non-chlorine shock.  Both are strong oxidizers.  Benefit of MPS is that you can enter the spa 15 minutes later, where chlorine shock naturally results in higher ppm chlorine which must drop down below 5 ppm before spa use.

pratzert

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
One of the best siRe: Ozone Works for Me !!!
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2006, 12:34:10 pm »
SSBRAUN,

Yes... you are correct.   The secret to "shocking" with chlorine is to use enough to cause a super chlorination "break-point" to break apart the chloramines.

I've learned a lot having a swimming pool for 8 years and "most" of the same chemistry applies to spas.

One of the best sites to learn about water treatment and chemistry is from poolforum.com.

Tim

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2006, 01:16:19 pm »

Not so...shocking with chlorine destroys chloramines just as well as adding MPS non-chlorine shock.  Both are strong oxidizers.  

This is only partially correct. To shock with chlorine you HAVE to add enough chloring to reach a FAC level 10 times higher than the combined chlorine level. IF you don't reach this FAC level you wont be breaking down any of the combined chlorine, but will be adding to it.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2006, 01:22:10 pm »

Yup. Dirty sock odor. I Experienced it once when I was low on sanitizer.  

I did too.....It was after a long day walking at Disneyland.....and well....when I took my shoes.....off....I was looking for the dichlor... ;)

lawdawgva

• 06 Hot Springs Jetsetter
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2006, 01:52:54 pm »
I like the ozonator personally because it reduces the amount of chems you will be putting in your water.  Any way you look at it, the fewer chems you're putting into the water you're soaking in has to be a good thing.

-Sarge
They're not doughnuts, they're glazed bagels.

Anoroc

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2006, 01:56:48 pm »

To shock with chlorine you HAVE to add enough chloring to reach a FAC level 10 times higher than the combined chlorine level. IF you don't reach this FAC level you wont be breaking down any of the combined chlorine, but will be adding to it.

Just curios: What is FAC level?  Are you saying using chlorine to shock is not good, or impractical or too difficult?  How do you measure FAC levels?

I use enhanced spa shock myself about once every two weeks.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 01:57:53 pm by anaroc »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2006, 01:56:48 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42