What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Fighting the Cold  (Read 3364 times)

SJK

Fighting the Cold
« on: January 10, 2006, 12:29:08 am »
I woke up Friday morning and knew I was in trouble.  Scratchy throat, itchy nose and watery eyes.  First cold of the season.  As a mild bronchial-asthmatic, for me a cold is just misery: poor breathing, heavy coughing -just nasty stuff - and a minimum two weeks.  Minimum.  
  So in a panic, I crank the hot tub up to 104, take three Cold FX and jump in.  Again at noon and at night: three Cold FX and a long hot soak.
  By Saturday I'm sneezing and blowing, but no congestion.  More Cold FX and 3-4 soaks. Same on Sunday........and no BS - its Monday night and there's barely a sniffle.  Unbelievable.  I don't want to shill for Cold FX, because I really think I cooked the SOB into submission.  
    Even if I didn't appreciate everything else about a hot tub, this alone makes it worth every penny. Amazing!

Hot Tub Forum

Fighting the Cold
« on: January 10, 2006, 12:29:08 am »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Re: Fighting the Cold
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 07:23:40 am »
If you think about it, our body naturally fights infections by raising our body temperature and giving us a fever. Your long soaks helped your natural defenses and I believe the heat helps to break up all the congestion that allows the infection to continue.
Glad that you are feeling better!  I have always thought cooking your cold to death was the best way to get rid of it! :)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

J._McD

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 09:47:59 am »
You should try a Sauna, talk about Heat Therapy. :o

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 12:01:20 pm »
You should try a Sauna, talk about Heat Therapy. :o

Anyone here have an in-home Sauna? Or do any of the dealers here carry them?  I've seen a few Spa dealers selling them.

I was curious on the price range, installtiion and monthly costs.
07 Caldera Geneva

hamrhed

• "Hard Tellin" "Not Knowin"
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 12:28:51 pm »

It's tough to keep your beer cold in them.

Power Tap and Dry Ice... ;D

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 01:18:28 pm »
We have a steam shower.  It's wet heat not dry.  My wife loves it.  I rarely use it.

J._McD

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 02:00:02 pm »
Anyone here have an in-home Sauna? Or do any of the dealers here carry them?  I've seen a few Spa dealers selling them.

I was curious on the price range, installtiion and monthly costs.

To your first two questions, yes and yes.

To satisfy your curiosity, 4x6 "pre-cut" kit, this is all pre-cut lumber that is nailed to your walls and the kit come complete to be installed right down to the heater, floor tiles, stones, bucket and ladel.  Approximate cost $3,200, plus taxes

A 4x6 pre-fabricated kit, this is 90% completely constructed including not only the inside lumber, but the outside lumber, framing in the middle, insulation and electrical conduit, as well as heater, stones, bucket and ladel.  Approximate cost $4,324

Cost of operation: this size sauna calls for a 4.5 kW heater @ .09 per kWhr=.41 per hour of operation.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 02:07:56 pm »
Thanks J_McD.

I assume this a 240v unit?  Under 5K seems reasonable. Are there any specail venting that's required?  Does it significantly raise the temp and humidity in the surrounding area? Do they require any type of drain?
07 Caldera Geneva

J._McD

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 02:28:09 pm »
Thanks J_McD. I assume this a 240v unit?  Under 5K seems reasonable. Are there any specail venting that's required?  Does it significantly raise the temp and humidity in the surrounding area? Do they require any type of drain?

240 volt, yes, amperage determined by size of heater, size of heater determined by cubic air space to be heated.

No special venting, basically it is a self-contained heated box that does require a lower vent near base of heater for heat draw and circulation.

Walls are insulated and do not transmit heat or humidity outside of sauna.

You do ladel water onto the rocks, but a drain is not required.  I have had a Sauna on the second level of the house and simply use an aluminum tray placed under the heater to let me know when I am using excessive amounts of water on the rocks.  Water does not usually drain through unless you apply too much.

Recommend the sauna be place in close proximity to a shower.  10-15 minutes in sauns, shower, back into sauna, back into cold shower.

SJK

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2006, 09:32:46 pm »
The Beachcomber dealer up here sells small cedar saunas that are "dry."  (I think the technology/term is infrared).  Their literature claims that it is more effective in flushing out toxins, healthier, safer and of course you don't have to worry about humidity in an enclosed space (ie. your basement).  They look pretty inviting, but I figure if I want to get hot and wet, I'd rather just jump in the tub.  

J._McD

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2006, 10:52:40 pm »
Because I truley believe in the Finnish concept and the originators of the sauna, which is Finland, is a "bath", the "infra-red" concept is tantamount to sitting in a 'Microwave", maybe a bit extreme in the analogy, but definitely a signifigant difference originating from the orient and coupled with the new technology of "speed".

As we say here, wet test, I would definitely recommend a "sweat test" to realize they are significantly different, but both hot in different ways. ;)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 10:55:00 pm by J._McD »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2006, 10:52:40 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42