What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sundance disposable filter  (Read 3805 times)

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
Sundance disposable filter
« on: January 09, 2006, 09:42:47 am »
I noticed this morning that my Optima filter is starting to "suck in" on one side.

Is this the indication that it's time to be replaced? The filter is on it's 7 month of use (tub was started up last Father's Day)

Next month I will be doing my second water change, and was planning on changing it out then anyway. Hopefully it will last 4 more weeks.

Anyone else out there with a similar experience with their 2005 model throwaway filter?

Also, what's the going price for these things, and does anyone have a on-line source (just in case my dealer's price is way out of line).
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 09:49:32 am by johnvb »

Hot Tub Forum

Sundance disposable filter
« on: January 09, 2006, 09:42:47 am »

Anoroc

Re: Sundance disposable filter
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 12:06:25 pm »
Sorry no one has responded to you.  I was told that filters shouldn't need replacing for a couple of years.  Maybee others can pipe in.

Online sources:
PoolPlus
RhTubs
Spadepot

hymbaw

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 12:52:15 pm »
Don't worry about going the extra month 'til you change it. If you aren't getting a FLO warning you wont hurt anything.

The Microclean II filters run about $100. 7 to 10 months is about what you can expect out of them (depending on usage of course)
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 01:03:10 pm »
Don't worry about going the extra month 'til you change it. If you aren't getting a FLO warning you wont hurt anything.

The Microclean II filters run about $100. 7 to 10 months is about what you can expect out of them (depending on usage of course)

Thanks for the replies, that's basically what my dealer said when I called them this morning.

They give a discount to anyone who has purchased a pool or spa from them, quoted me $90 for a new replacement filter.

J._McD

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 07:56:33 pm »
We have seen the filters implode after 3 months in use and as long as 9 months.  They capture everything 5 micron and above.  If you are on well water, you can expect a short life cycle.  You have already had the $ response.

One additional thought is to change it out to a cleanable filter that will last 2 to 3 years or longer, and are like all of the filters out there.  One you clean and the other you throw away.  They both have a similar cost and the only difference would be the cost of throw-a-ways, and your cost of cleaning your filter like everybody else does.  Your local SD is the only resource for the 5 micron filter where the cleanable filter is more readily available and price competitive.

If you need to know more PM me.

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 09:58:07 pm »
Actually I also purchased a washable filter when we bought the tub. Just in case my dealer didn't have the throwaway in stock when I needed it. (They do have some now).

I'm sold on the disposable concept. The time and trouble I save is worth the extra cost.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 11:09:02 pm »
I don't think your filter costs will be much different in the long haul than we with the prior generation microfilter plus pleated combination is.  
I spend about $60/year on 4 toss out microfilters, and would spend up to another $20 or $30 on several bottles of filter cleaning solution, plus the $60 I spent on a second pleated filter to swap with the one that came with the spa.
May well be that your filtering system ends up being less expensive, depending on the life you get on that cartridge.
Brewman

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 07:02:40 am »
That's good to know.

During my discussion with my dealer, he first said I needed to change it out ASAP, before it would break up into the tub. Then he quoted me a price of $12, and I knew we weren't on the same page...

After it was cleared up that I had the 2005 model, he said the new filters were built differently, and that the MicroClean II Filter shouldn't do that.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 07:02:40 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42