What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Is your tub cover discoloring?  (Read 4440 times)

Markus

• HS Vanguard 2005
Is your tub cover discoloring?
« on: January 03, 2006, 08:04:39 pm »
I've had my HS Vanguard for only a few months and the underside of the cover is very bleached compared to all the underside edges.

I was just curious as to how many of you have the same discoloration. Is this normal?

I use dichlor and there is an ozonator, and I also never mix the dichlor with the cover on.

Hot Tub Forum

Is your tub cover discoloring?
« on: January 03, 2006, 08:04:39 pm »

sms392

• Grandee Owner
Re: Is your tub cover discoloring?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 08:11:27 pm »
We have a new HS Grandee delivered in August, use dichlor and Ozone and have the same issue. assume it's the bleaching effect from the chlorine.

popsicle

• 2005 HS Grandee
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 08:36:25 pm »
I am experiencing the same effect on the underside of my cover.  (HS Grandee delivered last March)

I write it off to the chlorine gassing off of the water, which happens continuously, not only right after you add it.  I'm not the best at leaving the lid open for a while after adding dichlor and I've gotten into the habit of only flipping it half back on days I am just adding a touch of dichlor.

I guess I am going to need to replace it sooner than I would have if I were more careful, but for now it only seems to be cosmetic.  (even though I'm sure it is actually degrading the vinyl as it discolors it)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 09:12:38 pm »
The bottom of my cover is white, I guess that's a good thing.

The bleaching is from the chlorine but also from the ozone. They both off gas. If you leave the cover off after putting in "normal" chlorine for 5 minutes and shock value (10+ PPM) chlorine for 1 hour, that will help. but remember with ozone running 24/7 any ozone not absorbed and used in the water will off gas.

Try treating the underside with 303 protectorant, it may help slow or stop the discoloration.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 09:31:51 pm »
It's from ozone probably more than anything and the chlroine secondly. I always tell people discoloration of the bottom cover is inevitable due to your chlorine use (or whatever is your main sanitizer) but certainly speeds up with ozone. To me it's a minor tradeoff to what ozone does for your spa. The ozone detractors may say otherwie but that's their opinion and this is mine.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 09:32:31 am »
How well are these ozinators regulated? (Meaning how much ozone does one unit produce than from another of the same make and model). I guess I shold say, how consistent are ozinators?

I ask, as a few folks have said they are seeing under the cover discolartion and it's simpley chocked up to "gotta be ozone".

I have a Tiger River, made by Watkins (the Hot Springs folks). with a Freshwater II ozinator installed. I have had the tub for about 8 months and have not seen any problems with discolartion under my cover (Tiger River Factory brand cover).

The thing is, I only have 350 gallons of water (relativly less than the other tubs). I use dichlor with a Renew shock. I was in the habit of keeping the cover closed duing shocking (I've now changed that since discussion on this board) and to top it off,  I use the tub only about 3 times a week, where as it seems a lot of folks use thier tub (and hence have the cover off) more than that.

This leads me to wonder why one tub/cover would see this discoloration and not another?  

Could the ozone levels be different from tub to tub, ozinator to ozinator? Is it cover material? A defect in product material? Surface area of the water gassing out to cover?  Water temp?

Seems there is something else to the mix we are missing, no? ???
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 09:35:31 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 09:57:11 am »
Also, is the discoloration more in one area than another?

If so, is the area over where the ozinator dischrges into the tub? Or over some other significant part of the tub?
07 Caldera Geneva

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 10:28:19 am »
Mine is 1 year old and the underside of the cover is much lighter in color than the rest.  Normal methinks and I agree that it is probably mostly from the ozone although chlorine is undoubtedly also a factor.  The way I figure it, once this cover is shot they'll make more.  I have no problem with that.  

It seems that some time ago this was discussed and it was generally agreed that the covers last about 5 years.  Is that right?  

Regards,

Bill

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2006, 11:08:51 am »
It seems that some time ago this was discussed and it was generally agreed that the covers last about 5 years.  Is that right?  

Regards,

Bill

I'd agree though it seems from what I see and hear it depends on whether you change it due to looks or function. Mine is 6 yrs old; the inside faded the first year but the outside faded slower. The seams started to open some at about 5 yrs but caused no real issue. While the foam is a bit warped it's still structurally sound. Though a bit ugly I'm too frugal to go get a new one just yet.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

lawdawgva

• 06 Hot Springs Jetsetter
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2006, 11:40:54 am »
What colors are everyones covers on the underside?  Mine is a light grey and either I am not having a problem or it is fading consistantly because I cannot tell a difference from the middle to the edge, but then again I would think it would be hard to see fading on a light color like that.   Do you all have darker colors on the underside of your covers?

I use dichlor and an ozonator.

-Sarge
They're not doughnuts, they're glazed bagels.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2006, 11:46:59 am »
What colors are everyones covers on the underside?  Mine is a light grey and either I am not having a problem or it is fading consistantly because I cannot tell a difference from the middle to the edge, but then again I would think it would be hard to see fading on a light color like that.   Do you all have darker colors on the underside of your covers?

I use dichlor and an ozonator.

-Sarge

I have light gray and no discoloration.

The other thing would be, is anyone who doens't have an ozinator seeing discoloration?
07 Caldera Geneva

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2006, 11:53:45 am »
The underside of my cover is a medium gray and it has bleached since early on.  You can see the outline of where the cover sits on the shell.  I can't say it has gotten "whiter" over time.  It seems to have lightened and stayed that way.

I use dichlor and ozone.

Anoroc

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2006, 12:34:56 pm »
No Ozone and I am seeing some discoloration after a few months.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2006, 12:36:13 pm »
No Ozone and I am seeing some discoloration after a few months.

I suspected as much.  

07 Caldera Geneva

Brookenstein

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2006, 01:09:59 pm »
My tub is a month old.  I noticed today that I have a very slight discoloration that follows the outline of the tub.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2006, 01:09:59 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42