What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Envoy Question from a noob to Spas  (Read 3349 times)

pallison74

Envoy Question from a noob to Spas
« on: December 24, 2005, 07:23:58 pm »
Good evening all.

My wife and I have been thinking about getting a spa for a while, and we have settled on the Hotspring Envoy.  My question is, I curretly have a 12x12 cement slab as a back patio that is 3" thick.  I do not know if it is reinforced with rebar or not, but it is in good condition with no visible cracks (house is only 4 years old).   The Hotspring manual requires a 4" pad for two of their heavier spas, but only recommends it for the Envoy and the rest of their spas.  Will a 3" thick cement pad be sufficient?

Thanks
Paul

Hot Tub Forum

Envoy Question from a noob to Spas
« on: December 24, 2005, 07:23:58 pm »

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
Re: Envoy Question from a noob to Spas
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2005, 07:49:46 pm »
I would think so but maybe some of the dealers could answer.  Mine is on 6x6's and gravel.

blizzard

• Always gettin in to HOT water
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2005, 09:30:43 pm »
When I comes to concrete, the subgrade which it is poured on is sometimes more important than how thick. What I mean by that a 3" thick concrete slab on a  solid well compacted surface is better than a 4" slab on soft dirt or uncompacted material. I would think level and flat with no crown or valley  in it would be more of a concern. I wouldn't think the 3" would hurt, but then I'm no spa expert.

pallison74

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 05:10:41 pm »
Thanks for the replies so far, how about some of you hot tub experts like Chas and the rest?

Paul

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 12:17:36 pm »
blizzard makes a very good point.  If the subsurface is level and compact, 3" should be plenty for that spa.  It is very solid from top to bottom.  It is also an excellent spa!

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

pallison74

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 07:02:09 pm »
Thanks Terminator for taking the time to respond, I also think it is a great spa, and I feel better about putting it on my cement pad.

Thanks again
Paul

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2005, 07:34:26 pm »
I think you'll be fine Paul.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2005, 11:18:51 am »
The answer to your question is that it probably would be OK, but if cracks develop in the pad, dump the water out and have the pad replaced with one that is steel reinforced and deeper and has a better footing.  A lot will depend on your weather.  If you live in a northern state where the ground gets frozen, your 3 inch pad would be more likely to develop cracks than would be the case in a southern state.

Regards,

Bill

grahamtasia

• Life is not short!
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2005, 11:25:55 am »
You should be fine. You might want to check with your installer for his opinion. You have purchased an amazing spa. Enjoy! Let us know how everything works out!!

aquaman

• justice league is on the hot line !
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2005, 08:50:10 pm »
it also depends on what type of "concrete" you have. was it  from a redimix company with a 3or4 or 5 bag mix -maybe left over from the basement or driveway or was it made from quickcrete and water with no stone in it(the stone is where all your strength comes from).  3" of professinal crete will much stronger than 4 or5" of the homeowner stuff.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2005, 08:50:10 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42