What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: still fighting with ph  (Read 7228 times)

Kyle

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: still fighting with ph
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2005, 01:05:46 pm »
I suggest trying the "Lock" to see how it works for you.  It reduced the amount of adjustments I've had to make on my spa.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2005, 01:05:46 pm »

Soakin

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2005, 01:20:58 pm »
I haven't used it, but don't you have to get your pH in range before a lock can work?

Kyle

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2005, 03:33:56 pm »
Not really.  But It can be an added expense if you are close to draining your spa.  You might want to wait as you suggested until refill.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2005, 03:42:45 pm »
I recently started using the Taylor kit to get a better ph reading and still have trouble maintaining a good ph.  According the the store, getting the alk right is the first step, which i did.  Over the course of three days, I used nearly a full bottle of ph down and still can't get too the "ideal" reading which I think is 7.4, right?

The guy says i might be worrying too much and as long as it is not bright red in the kit and under 8.0, I should be happy.  Anyoe agree?

Yes, your worrying too much. 7.4 might be an ideal number for PH, but there is an acceptable range. You can accept higher or lower on the range in order to keep ALk where it needs to be.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Soakin

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2005, 03:48:27 pm »
I suggest trying the "Lock" to see how it works for you.  It reduced the amount of adjustments I've had to make on my spa.
Who makes the product you use?  All of the ones I have seen require the pH be brought into a range of 7.0-8.0 before adding the lock product.

TubbinSoon, now we be tubbin

• Wot the
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2005, 04:47:15 pm »
Plain old white vinegar is safe to use to bring the PH down. Lot cheaper than PH Down products. Get too low and use baking soda, also super cheap, to bring it up. Maybe 50 cents for a container of each.

Soakin

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2005, 05:00:48 pm »
Plain old white vinegar is safe to use to bring the PH down.
Sounds like a good idea, but I wonder if it is acidic enough to make a dent in my situation.  Any idea how much would be required to bring my pH down?  See above for specs.  Thanks.

st18901

• '86 Sovereign!
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2005, 06:40:12 pm »
muriatic acid is dirt cheap too. Just be careful with it.

• Wot the
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2005, 04:03:00 pm »
I brought PH down from top of the color scale, sort of the bright pink red?, to center reading with about 4-6 oz liquid white vinegar.

Since the bottle of vinegar and the box of baking soda don't have recommended spa doses you have to do this the old fashioned way, try it.

Neither tells you which way it will move, more acid or more base so when the water is in the test bottle and showing a color that it way off, I drop a few drops or a pinch of the soda in the test bottle and see if the color gets better.  One time I was having to use soda and I would try it first and now that doesn't change the color but when I put a drop of vinegar in it changes quickly the right direction so in it goes. You don't have to worry as the mild acetic acid or vinegar isn't harmful and neither is the soda. Pretty tame stuff, cheap stuff and it works. Bingo.

• Wot the
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2005, 04:03:33 pm »
Oh, and my tub holds about 550 gallons.

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2005, 04:17:39 pm »
Well, considering I blew about $20 in ph down to get it right this time, I will give the white vinegar a try next battle.  And to think, I thought it was only for salads and very limited hygenic uses.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2005, 04:33:03 pm »
I think in 4th grade we made chemical volcanoes with a funnel, tin foil, baking soda, and vinegar.

Brewman

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2005, 01:20:57 pm »
Just checked my pH--7.8.  Here's how it got to this point:

Thanksgiving Day--changed water, added dichlor only, soaked in fresh water......aaaahhhhhh.......
2nd Saturday after Thanksgiving--pH measured 8.0+.  Added dichlor and 3 tbsp unbuffered MPS.
3rd Saturday after Thanksgiving--pH measured 8.0.  Added dichlor and 3 tbsp unbuffered MPS.  Swapped and rinsed filters.
4th Saturday after Thanksgiving (today)--pH measured 7.8.  Added dichlor after soak.  Did not add MPS as combined chlorine was nonexistent.
Of course, subsequent soaks and addition of dichlor after soaking occurred almost daily during this time.  Water is beautiful....crystal blue persuasion....

As the pH will continue down, I'll monitor it once a week.  I'll probably let it get down to 7.0 and watch it there for a little bit before adjusting with either soda ash or baking soda, depending on TA at the time.  Since my water is so good out of the tap, I'm currently not testing for TA or CH at all.

The result of all this?  Beautiful water with minimal chemicals.  I think this will be the best fill yet.....after 1.5 years.

If this helps someone, great.  I certainly feel comfortable suggesting it. 8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2005, 01:20:57 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42