What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: my first chemical question?  (Read 9913 times)

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: my first chemical question?
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2005, 09:18:02 am »
Interesting read here:

http://www.biophysica.com/bromine.htm

Steve

That answered my bromine and dichlor mixing. Thanks Steve.
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2005, 09:18:02 am »

keating

• Arctic Avalanche Ultra DELIVERED
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2005, 09:52:16 am »
That doesn't sound like Bromine concentrate....it sounds more like ...well, a cheap dichlor mix.
 ???

I'll double check this evening.
I can't remember the brand, but it's in a pearlescent white bottle with purple graphics and a black cap.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2005, 09:53:37 am »

I'll double check this evening.
I can't remember the brand, but it's in a pearlescent white bottle with purple graphics and a black cap.

no need, According to what Steve linked to, it explained that Bromine needs chlorine to activate.

From Steve's link:

"...It (bromine) was so stable that it was difficult to get into the water. Erosion feeders needed to be supplied with a mixture of one third chlorine and two thirds bromine so the chlorine could give the bromine a "kick".

And:

"...Bromine tablets are typically 1-bromo-3-chloro-5,5-dimethylhydantoin. When added to water they hydrolyze to become hypobromous acid. With bromine tablets a separate oxidizer is not necessary to make hypobromous acid, it is already an ingredient in the tablets. When the hypobromous acid reacts with a contaminant and is reduced, it becomes a bromide ion. You then get a build up of bromide ions in the water. After a while, you could just start adding an oxidizer to reactivate the bromide ions to hypobromous acid, but most people don’t, they just add more bromine tabs."
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 09:57:45 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2005, 09:53:37 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42