What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Unbuffered shock.  (Read 1990 times)

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
Unbuffered shock.
« on: November 28, 2005, 08:33:42 am »
I've seen unbuffered shock mentioned as a good alternative to regular mps and believe I read that it also controls ph.

I can't find it at the store and was wondering if there is a brand that is best?  I'm sure I can find it online.

Do I have it right when I say it reduces the need for ph down?  

Lastly, are there any drawbacks?

Hot Tub Forum

Unbuffered shock.
« on: November 28, 2005, 08:33:42 am »

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
Re: Unbuffered shock.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 11:01:53 am »
o-guy,

You are correct when you say unbuffered MPS will bring pH down.....it's pH is between 3-4 so it will do a pretty good job of dropping pH if that's what your water balance needs.  I just changed my water on T-giving Day.  Out of the tap, it's right at 7.3-7.5 but after a day or two of introducing air into the water, the pH will rise a bit--usually up to about 8.0 or so.  Since I've got such great water out of the tap, I've only introduced dichlor so far.  At the end of this week, I'll shock it with straight MPS which will cause the pH to settle in nicely around 7.5 or so.  Down the road, I'll buffer the MPS with soda ash depending on current pH when I shock.  Since dichlor is about 7.0, it too will cause pH to drop, albeit only slightly.

I've purchased mine from both Doc's online store and from a local pool dealer.  Brand shouldn't make a difference--just look for 100% MPS (Potassium Monopersulfate) on the label.

The only drawback would be TDS buildup that is quicker than using dichlor to shock but I have found this to be no problem at all with 3-5 month water changes.  

The advantage to MPS is being able to use the tub within about 30 minutes after shocking.  As a side note, I also like the aroma of the water after an MPS shock.....it reminds me of freshly starched and ironed shirts......a very old memory since I haven't seen or smelled a freshly starched shirt in years thanks to permanent press and laziness. 8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Hot Tub Forum

Re: Unbuffered shock.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 11:01:53 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42