What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Wiring  (Read 3146 times)

radams

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Wiring
« on: November 20, 2005, 02:47:15 pm »
I am taking delivery of a new Jacuzzi 345 on Monday.
I thought that the wiring from my Old Thermospa tub would have been the same as my new tub. After reading the pre delivery instructions it seems that the Jacuzzi takes a 3 wire setup where the Thermospa was a 4 wire setup.  My current wiring that has been in place for 10 years is #6-3 w/1 bare ground connected to a 50a gfic in a sub panel at the circuit breaker.  (red, black,white and bare).
The Jacuzzi shows 2 hot (red and black) and a ground (green) no White (neutral). I had hoped to do a quick connection without an electrician as I had alredy paid for this once.
I guess I do need an electrician unless someone can tell me what i'm missing.

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Wiring
« on: November 20, 2005, 02:47:15 pm »

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
Re: Wiring
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 04:15:11 pm »
my tub was a three wire hook up as well, so I bought # 6 3 wire.  It comes with a bare ground.

Red and Black are hot and the white was neutral hook up.  Then we used the bare ground to the bus bar in the gfi.  That how we did it and it worked great.  I think that you should be ok. but again im not an electrician.

the bare ground is just added insurance.  I would still use it.  I found the pre wire diagram a little confusing but my father is an electrician and figured it out.  

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 04:16:08 pm »
oh yeah is your new tub use 50 amp breaker, I know some Jacuzzi products need the 60amp breaker.

J._McD

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 05:42:23 pm »
You have a 4 wire hook up currently in place with a 50 Amp GFCI.  You are not missing anything yet, but you do have an extra wire.  The extra wire is the white neutural wire that is attatched to the "load screw" on the actual breaker itself.  

Your previous set up has 4 wires connected to the GFCI.  

1 wire is the curly pigtail wire that is white and permanently attached to the circuit breaker.  

There are 3 "load screws" on your breaker and three wires attatched to them.  2 of the wires are next to each other and they are the 2 hot wires and carry the 110 volts on each wire providing 240 volts.  They are usually black and red, but the electrician could have used both black.

The third wire attached to a "load screw" would be a white wire which is the neutural wire and IS NOT USED IN A THREE WIRE HOOK UP.  It should be disconnected from the breaker and "capped off".  The same should be done in the Hot Tub control box when you are hooking the wires up.  The 2 hots go to the teminal load hook up on TB1.  

The ground wire to the common buss bar, and the WHITE WIRE IS HOOKED UP TO NOTHING, "cap it off".

Thus, you will have 3 wires hooked up, 2 hots and a ground wire.  You are done.  

IF the white wire remains connected to the breaker "load screw" and/or the common buss bar in the Hot Tub load box, you WILL have nusiance tripping of the GFCI.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 05:42:23 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42