What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: To Ozanate or Not to Ozanate  (Read 4667 times)

Anoroc

To Ozanate or Not to Ozanate
« on: November 10, 2005, 09:13:27 pm »
Hey all, I may be using the wrong terminolgy but here goes.  I just purchased a HotSpring Jetsetter.  The sales rep told me an Ozanator would cost me about $400 on sale.

My question is do I need one for such a small spa?

Also- I found this onlne somewhere.  Are these ozanators any good?  At spadepot.com

Eclipse Solid-State CD Ozonators...
State-of-the art solid state corona-discharge ozonators from Del.  These units use up to 80% less energy than UV ozonators, and are extremely reliable.

Replaceable Ozone Module
Eclipse ozonators feature an easily replaceable, long-life module chip.
Del Installation Guide

Eclipse CD Ozonator Kit 110V
#PX3001
110-120 volt model
Only $109.95

Eclipse CD Ozonator Kit 240V
#PX3002
220-240 volt model
Only $129.95

Hot Tub Forum

To Ozanate or Not to Ozanate
« on: November 10, 2005, 09:13:27 pm »

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
Re: To Ozanate or Not to Ozanate
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 09:49:37 pm »
The platinum version would be better if you don't want to pay for the factory Freshwater III Ozone.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Del-PLATINUM-Spa-Eclipse-HIGH-OUTPUT-CD-Ozone-Ozonator_W0QQitemZ4416145484QQcategoryZ20729QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

lawdawgva

• 06 Hot Springs Jetsetter
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 11:12:08 pm »
I have a 97 HS Sovreign (350 gal) which I bought used this summer.   It was ozone ready but did not come with one.  I researched online and finally purchased the Del Platinum Eclipse ozonator and installed it myself at my last water change.  I purchased it online at a total cost of about 157.00

It was very easy to install and only took about 45 minutes from the moment I took the access panel off until I put the last screw in putting it back on.

It works great and the best part is fewer chemicals.  I use the Nature2 cartridge with it and all I do is put two Tbsp of SpaGuard Enhanced Shock in once a week.  Thats it.  I have crystal clear, odor free water 24/7.  I know everyone has their favorite method, but after personal experience with this one, no one can convince me there is an easier way.

Get the ozonator and no matter which sanitization method you use along with it, you will use less chemicals and if you're like me, you'll agree that it was one of the best accessories you ever bought for your tub.  Happy soaking!
They're not doughnuts, they're glazed bagels.

jetster

• Bublin Jetsetter
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2005, 11:24:44 pm »
I have the Jetsetter with the freshwaterIII and I would not be without the ozone. Definately works. My injector got clogged on mine and the water went south very quickly, that was the only time my water wasn't crystal clear. I cleared the clogged injector cleaned my filters and shocked. Next day crystal again with no hint of cloudy water since.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2005, 12:48:45 am »
You just shock and don't add a sanitizer in-between your weekly shock? Do you know what your Free Available Chlorine reading is prior to shocking?

I have a 97 HS Sovreign (350 gal) which I bought used this summer.   It was ozone ready but did not come with one.  I researched online and finally purchased the Del Platinum Eclipse ozonator and installed it myself at my last water change.  I purchased it online at a total cost of about 157.00

It was very easy to install and only took about 45 minutes from the moment I took the access panel off until I put the last screw in putting it back on.

It works great and the best part is fewer chemicals.  I use the Nature2 cartridge with it and all I do is put two Tbsp of SpaGuard Enhanced Shock in once a week.  Thats it.  I have crystal clear, odor free water 24/7.  I know everyone has their favorite method, but after personal experience with this one, no one can convince me there is an easier way.

Get the ozonator and no matter which sanitization method you use along with it, you will use less chemicals and if you're like me, you'll agree that it was one of the best accessories you ever bought for your tub.  Happy soaking!

« Last Edit: November 11, 2005, 12:50:17 am by Gomboman »

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Anoroc

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2005, 08:33:56 am »
It sound like the Del Platinum is a good product.  For about $155 plus shipping it is alot cheaper than the Factory installed version.

Will it be eay to install?

lawdawgva

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2005, 09:01:23 pm »
You just shock and don't add a sanitizer in-between your weekly shock? Do you know what your Free Available Chlorine reading is prior to shocking?

I do not use anything other than the Nature2 and Ozonator and the Enhanced Shock by SpaGuard once a week.  I have never had a water issue since opening the tub back in June.

Usually I use the tub about 4 nights a week by myself and there might be 2 or 3 peopel in the tub the other 3 nights a week and of course that varys.

Ozone (o3) is a highly reactive form of oxygen and it is the 3rd oxygen atom that helps ozone destroy organic wastes and contamination.  Now, having said that, ozone has a fairly short life so yes, you do need another form of "backup sanitization" i.e. chlorine, bromine, biguanides, mineral purifier(nature2, spafrog) etc.

Also, if your ozonator is not running except for part of the time in your tub, it will be a less effective system.  I have a hotspring Sovreign, which has the 24 hr circ pump.  My nature 2 unit is hooked to this line so the minerals in it are constantly circulating in the tub destroying wastes, also my ozonator feeds ozone through this line so that is also working in the tub 24/7.  I am not an expert by any means, but I do believe this is the reason I have had such a good water clarity experience vs. having only ozone/nature2 on a tub that would only run certain hours of the day.  If I had those two on a tub that worked on a timer for filtering purposes, I probably would use a little chlorine myself.

IMHO.   Hope that helps you.

ssbraun

• '05 Maxxus
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2005, 09:21:23 pm »
Lawdawgva...I think you should check out the Nature2 website FAQ where it specifically states that you still need to use chlorine along with their product, albeit at lower levels (minimum 0.5 ppm)  If you are not, my understanding is that you are not safely sanitizing your spa whether or not you have crystal clear water.  Can you clarify this if I'm missing something?  Thanks!  (I've been considering the purchase of this product for a couple weeks, and can't decide if it's for me or not!)

Steve

lawdawgva

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2005, 09:41:33 pm »
Lawdawgva...I think you should check out the Nature2 website FAQ where it specifically states that you still need to use chlorine along with their product, albeit at lower levels (minimum 0.5 ppm)  If you are not, my understanding is that you are not safely sanitizing your spa whether or not you have crystal clear water.  Can you clarify this if I'm missing something?  Thanks!  (I've been considering the purchase of this product for a couple weeks, and can't decide if it's for me or not!)

Steve

I had read that too Steve and after doing a lot of research on it (reading message boards, talking to friends and dealers) my current method of sanitizing, I believe is a good one.  I believe  that Nature2 is recommending using a low residual of chlorine if you do NOT have an ozonator.

The mineral purifier is circulating in my tub 24/7 and is basically a sanitizer.  The ozonator is also working as a sanitizer and oxidizer 24/7.   So I always have residual sanitization going on and that's what I base my decision of not using chlorine on.   I simply add the enhanced shock once a week and that takes care of the rest of the oxidation process the ozonator doesn't.

I think people get hooked on using Nature2 and an ozonator AND adding chlorine because they like to "smell" something and that makes them think  its the only way it is effective.  Fact is, mineral purifiers are very effective sanitizers and many public water systems purify their drinking water using minerals.

I've never had the first issue of cloudy water, off the chart PH, skin irritations, smelly water, etc.   I'm using the Nature2 which cost 22.95 online every 4 mos. and using 2 Tbsp SpaGuard enhanced shock 12.00 per 2# container from my dealer.  Basically I can say I've been blessed with near perfect water conditions since I've opened my spa in June.

I wish you well in your quest for clean water!

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2005, 10:18:22 pm »
Lawdawg,

With a system like this how do you measure your residual sanitizer that the N2 cartridge is putting out? I believe the ozone is just an oxidizer.  With Dichlor or Bromine it's easy to determine your residual.

I thought you had to add a sanitizer with N2 and ozone.

I had read that too Steve and after doing a lot of research on it (reading message boards, talking to friends and dealers) my current method of sanitizing, I believe is a good one.  I believe  that Nature2 is recommending using a low residual of chlorine if you do NOT have an ozonator.

The mineral purifier is circulating in my tub 24/7 and is basically a sanitizer.  The ozonator is also working as a sanitizer and oxidizer 24/7.   So I always have residual sanitization going on and that's what I base my decision of not using chlorine on.   I simply add the enhanced shock once a week and that takes care of the rest of the oxidation process the ozonator doesn't.

I think people get hooked on using Nature2 and an ozonator AND adding chlorine because they like to "smell" something and that makes them think  its the only way it is effective.  Fact is, mineral purifiers are very effective sanitizers and many public water systems purify their drinking water using minerals.

I've never had the first issue of cloudy water, off the chart PH, skin irritations, smelly water, etc.   I'm using the Nature2 which cost 22.95 online every 4 mos. and using 2 Tbsp SpaGuard enhanced shock 12.00 per 2# container from my dealer.  Basically I can say I've been blessed with near perfect water conditions since I've opened my spa in June.

I wish you well in your quest for clean water!

lawdawgva

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2005, 10:36:29 pm »
Here is a response to a question about ozone and other sanitizers I read at www.askalanaquestion.com

Ozone will act as a backup sanitizer and allow you to maintain a lower level of chlorine.  In theory, all you need is a trace amount of Free Chlorine.  To play safe, I would suggest a level of 0.5-1.0 PPM, as opposed to 1-3 PPM without the Ozonator.  In addition, you should find much less of the odors associated with the reduced chlorine use.  Bromine, mineral purifiers or ionization units can, also, be used in the back-up sanitizer role with ozone.  I hope that I have been helpful.

Sincerely.  Alan Schuster, 12/16/2003

It is not necessary to check the level of a mineral purifier as they are designed to release the minerals at a set rate as the water flows over them in their chamber.  Simply replace the cartridge with a new one every 4 mos. and all should be well.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2005, 01:08:34 am »
Are you actually getting .5-1 ppm free chlorine with your system?  I didn't think you were adding any chlorine?

What's actually in SpaGuard Enhanced Shock?  I believe there is some chlorine in the mix?  Does the chlorine from the shock carry over into your daily residual somehow?  Thanks for the input.

Here is a response to a question about ozone and other sanitizers I read at www.askalanaquestion.com

Ozone will act as a backup sanitizer and allow you to maintain a lower level of chlorine.  In theory, all you need is a trace amount of Free Chlorine.  To play safe, I would suggest a level of 0.5-1.0 PPM, as opposed to 1-3 PPM without the Ozonator.  In addition, you should find much less of the odors associated with the reduced chlorine use.  Bromine, mineral purifiers or ionization units can, also, be used in the back-up sanitizer role with ozone.  I hope that I have been helpful.

Sincerely.  Alan Schuster, 12/16/2003

It is not necessary to check the level of a mineral purifier as they are designed to release the minerals at a set rate as the water flows over them in their chamber.  Simply replace the cartridge with a new one every 4 mos. and all should be well.

lawdawgva

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2005, 08:01:33 am »
Are you actually getting .5-1 ppm free chlorine with your system?  I didn't think you were adding any chlorine?

What's actually in SpaGuard Enhanced Shock?  I believe there is some chlorine in the mix?  Does the chlorine from the shock carry over into your daily residual somehow?  Thanks for the input.

No, there isn't any residual chlorine throughout the week after the initial shock dose.   In the article I quoted in the last post, he was suggesting 0.5-1.0 ppm of chlorine if that was the residual sanitizing method you selected to assist your ozonator.   Later on in the article he mentions that mineral purifier (Nature2 / spa frog / freshwater) can act as the residual sanitizer so there is no need to add a daily dose of chlorine.

SpaGuard Enhanced Shock is 58.2% dichlor and the rest of it is a combination products that perform different functions.  It's, of course, a sanitizer/oxidizer to help kill and burn off any of the little stubborn gremlins that might be lurking in the water, a clarifier to clear the water, a flocculant to help clump suspended particles in the water so the filter can remove them more effectively, and finally a ph buffer to help keep your ph on target.  

Hope that helps ya!

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2005, 08:17:25 am »
SpaGuard Enhanced Shock is 58.2% dichlor and the rest of it is a combination products that perform different functions.  It's, of course, a sanitizer/oxidizer to help kill and burn off any of the little stubborn gremlins that might be lurking in the water, a clarifier to clear the water, a flocculant to help clump suspended particles in the water so the filter can remove them more effectively, and finally a ph buffer to help keep your ph on target.

Enhanced shock is mostly dichlor and MPS combined with the highest concentration being dichlor so a sanitizer is being used here.  It is an interesting product that seems to go very well with N2.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2005, 01:52:08 am »
Lawdog,

I like your system but it appears that you are not using a sanatizer.  Here's a post from Tony a few months ago that I thought was interesting.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
tony
2002 Optima
 Re: Nature 2 and MPS
« Reply #16 on: Sep 10th, 2005, 9:01am »  Quote  Modify  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are only three chemicals that will truely sanitize water...chlorine, bromine and peroxide.  There are elements that help reduce bacteria such as mineral sticks, ions, enzymes, etc., but they do not kill all organisms that a sanitizer will.  This is where Vermonter's input has been valuable.  Since testing water is his business, his HotSprings Grandee has been a laboratory from which we all benefit.  His routine has come from testing results from his spa.  Norhtman has taken Vermonter's routine and elaborated on it from his own experience and engineering background.

Although Nature2 markets its spa routine as almost chorine free, actual testing shows although you might have clear water, there are lots of organisms still lurking in the water (see Vermonter).  MPS will not kill anything.  What does N2 recommend when your water becomes cloudy, hazy or smelly?  Add dichlor.  Same goes for Eco One which Vermonter tested with water from Chas spa.

The Frog mineral purifier which is very close to N2 has never tried to sell its product as chorine or bromine free.  They always instructed to maintain a reduced sanitizer level (.5-1.0 ppm).

With any one of these systems, you will need to shock your water periodically.  This can be acomplished with either chlorine or MPS.  The advantage of MPS is that it oxidizes more completely and you can use your spa almost right away.  The advantage of chlorine is it supersanitizes your spa.

Bottom line is clear water does not necessarily mean safe water.  If you want safe water you need to use one of the three sanitizers.  You can REDUCE the amount of sanitizer with one of a number of enzyme or mineral products.  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2005, 01:52:08 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42