What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: HS SpAudio  (Read 3729 times)

TCat

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
HS SpAudio
« on: November 08, 2005, 09:49:26 pm »
We've made our decision....our long-awaited spa will be a Grandee.  I'm going to place the order this week.  I'm looking for opinions on the sound system.  Is it worth spending the extra money on?  If we order the Grandee w/out one, can it be added on later?  Any last minute advice before I order on Friday will be greatly appreciated!

Hot Tub Forum

HS SpAudio
« on: November 08, 2005, 09:49:26 pm »

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
Re: HS SpAudio
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 10:25:38 pm »
Have you listened to it sitting in the spa with the jets on?  Did you like the sound?  I can't recall the price but I believe it to be in excess of $1K.  
I had already run wire oustide from the Home Theater in the basement long before we ever thought about a spa.  Bought a pair of outdoor speakers  (Klipsch AW-525 on sale $300/pr) an IR extender, and a universal remote I put in a baggy.  Total cost under $400 and the sound quality is excellent.  It does lack some of the bass you might get with the built in but looking back, there is no way I could justify the extra expense.  

Anecdotally, spa stereos don't hold up well given the environment in which they must operate.  The warranty on them is usually 1 year compared to 5 or more for the spa itself.  Ask the dealer about the warranty.

Danny

• "He was a wise man who invented beer"  Plato
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 10:26:25 pm »
It can be added after it's installed, but probably cheaper to have it done while empty and at the wharehouse.  We we're interested untill we heard the price, for the $1,500 quote I figured for that kind of money we could get an audio system that would cover our house, and whole spa/pool area.

I'm no expert but am speaking from our experience, I'm sure Terminator will fill ya in on all the details

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 09:27:53 am »
It's a neat feature, it sounds very good, customers love them, but it is not worth it.  The people who buy them don't care what the spa or the SpAudio cost, they just have to have it.  I'm not as big a fan as some.

Your money could be better spent elsewhere, in my opinion.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2005, 10:43:36 am »
Does the sound beome muffled coming through the water?  Why is it $1500.  Is this mostly a huge markup from the factory or are the parts really that expensive?
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2005, 10:47:27 am »
anyobe here, actually have a spa audio package?

What did it cost?

Do you like it?

How ofte do you use it?

On your next spa, would you get another one?

07 Caldera Geneva

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2005, 10:50:35 am »
No, the sound is not distorted in any way, even with the jets running.  Water is denser than air and the soundwaves travel faster.  It sounds really good.

I don't think the SpAudio is exhorbinantly marked up, it just has some expensive equipment.  There is a 75 lb 300 watt amplifier that is placed inside the cabinet.  Two large transducers are mounted on the underside of the shell.  Wiring is run from the transducers to the amplifier and a port is Dremeled and water resistant door place on it.  It takes a tech a couple of hours to install it.

Terminator
« Last Edit: November 09, 2005, 10:51:18 am by East_TX_Spa »
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

socal

• so it begins
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2005, 11:20:01 am »
TCat

congrats, your search is over and you are ohh so close to being in hot water.
as far as the SpAudio goes, (Marquis uses transducers as well....so thats what i will base this comment on) the sound is very clear and crisp with/out the pumps running. but like stl-rex said, you could do an outdoor speaker set up for less. draw back to the speakers is location to the spa, how high do you have to turn the volume up, how late will you use it, and are your neighbors close by??? like everything, pros/cons.

congrats again, enjoy your new tub.

socal
Marquis dealer

PaulMc

• 2005 Sundance Majesta and lovin' it.
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2005, 12:50:29 pm »
  We have a Sundance Majesta with the stereo and I'm pretty happy with it. It has great sound quality and when I check from the neighbours house it was barely audible when it was in use at a fairly decent volume level.

It was a $1000 option when we bought and the manufacturer had a promo that you could get either it or free delivery ("normal" charge was $200 I think) and the ozonoator ($350 I believe). We'd done our dealing and I was getting the ozonator anyway and we'd discussed delivery as part of the price already so I looked at it as a $550 cost.

We use it every time we get in the tub. Sometimes I feel like listening to a particular CD, sometimes the Leaf game, and sometimes I just flip around to hear what the radio stations are playing. With something like 18 FM and 12 AM channels there are lots to chose from. And when guests come over the male of the species loves the floating remote. It's a guy thing.    paul
Owner, Sundance Majesta , July '05, Ontario Canada

TCat

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2005, 02:32:33 pm »
Thanks for the opinions.  I'm in that strange twilight place where we've decided...but haven't placed the order yet.  I'm just trying to make sure I'm sure about everything before we order.  My husband thinks the audio system sounds like a lot of money for something he can do himself.  But I know after 20 years of marriage to beware those words--"I can do that myself"

magellan360

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2005, 01:21:07 am »
 [Sometimes I feel like listening to a particular CD, sometimes the Leaf game, ][/quote]

I see your problem, PaulMc......listening to the Maple Loafs, I mean  Leafs !!

PaulMc

• 2005 Sundance Majesta and lovin' it.
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2005, 06:02:18 am »
  Magellan360: You think that's bad... I'm actually a Hawks fan. It's been painful.     paul
Owner, Sundance Majesta , July '05, Ontario Canada

magellan360

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2005, 06:15:28 am »
Paulmc..........

What's really painful is the cost of my center ice season tickets to the Red Wings.....only team that didn't lower prices.......... :(

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2005, 06:15:28 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42