What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Question on Vacationing...  (Read 3874 times)

harry_the_jet

• n8kid fun
Question on Vacationing...
« on: November 03, 2005, 10:35:57 am »
Just a quick question to all the experts...the family is leaving for Wally World tomorrow and trying to figure out what my best option is from chemical and heating standpoint if the tub will be unused for 8 days.  Any suggestions...thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Question on Vacationing...
« on: November 03, 2005, 10:35:57 am »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Question on Vacationing...
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005, 10:39:17 am »
Harry,

What  type of tub do you have, and what is your chemical routine? (Bromie floater, dichlor....)

Regardless, a week isn't that  long.  I'd shock the tub, clean the filter(s), adjust the water  (Ph alk Cl ) and lock the cover.  If no one is using the tub, it should be fine.

I wouldn't really change the temp, unless you keep it at something like 104, then I'd might say bring it down to 100, but I think this is insignificant on a quality insualted tub.

The only other issue maybe if don't have a 24  circ pump and have the filter set to run several times a day, you may want to change that to run less, but once again, I don't think this is a major concern if you have an efficent tub.

There are a few  times that I don't get into my tub (rain, busy at work, hetic schedule )  for a week, nor check it, and everything is perfect.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 11:03:13 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

cappykat

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 10:43:22 am »
So, Harry the Jet...you're going to be in my neck of the woods. Making the trip to Wally World...hope you're going to do Universal Studios also.  Gotta check out Spiderman 3-D.

Have a great time in sunny O-Town!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 10:43:39 am by cappykat »
2005 Marquis Epic

harry_the_jet

• n8kid fun
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2005, 11:06:46 am »
I have a Jacuzzi- 385 and the routine is shock after use and dichlor once a week.  PH up or down depending on situation.  I have a 24 hour Circ Pump and will take the advice of cleaning the filters prior to leaving.  Thanks.

As for being in O-Town, not going to Universal, but MGM.  I have 3 boyz under 8 and doing the whole WALLY WORLD multi day pass junk.  Should be INTERESTING to say te least.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005, 11:12:28 am »
You'll be fine. Do you weekly routine before you leave, make sure it's clean. Lock it and go. forgetaboutit.

;D

07 Caldera Geneva

cappykat

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2005, 11:46:24 am »
I worked at Disney for 18 years and my husband is at Universal. Disney is wonderful, but Universal is way better than MGM.  Three boys under the age of 8...you'll have a great time.  Right now the weather is fabulous-- about 80 and windy.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 11:47:07 am by cappykat »
2005 Marquis Epic

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2005, 03:34:19 pm »
I worked at Disney for 18 years and my husband is at Universal. Disney is wonderful, but Universal is way better than MGM.  Three boys under the age of 8...you'll have a great time.  Right now the weather is fabulous-- about 80 and windy.

Hey cappycat,
What's the longterm forecast for mid December? I'm taking my family to Universal the week of December 10. Compared to upstate NY, the weather will probably seem balmy to us!
My 12 year old is a ride fiend. She's been riding roller coasters (real ones) since she ws 4. Took her once to Disney World and she was kinda bummed about the lack of serious rides. And that was when she was 7. She did love the Tower of Terror! :O That was her favorite. Now she's looking forward to the rides at Universal.

Phil
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

cappykat

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2005, 03:47:46 pm »
Phil, Tower or Terror is all that Disney has...on the other hand, Universal has Hulk, Spiderman, Dueling Dragons, and Mummy. These are all monster roller coasters.  She should be able to get quite the thrill!!  If you get a chance go to Tampa Busch Gardens..they have some awesome coasters.

Oh, and December should be an excellent time...but we're also known to have unusually warm weather during the holidays, but at least it won't be 100!!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 03:48:13 pm by cappykat »
2005 Marquis Epic

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2005, 03:49:44 pm »
NE Phil,

Take her to Universal's Isands of Adventure park in Orlando.
They have some amazing coasters there. I was there in Feb and had a ball.

The Spiderman ride , although not a roller coaster,  but a 3-D simulator ride, was amazing.  

I went and there were NO lines.  We litterlay walked straight onto every ride.  Did the whole Island park in a matter of hours.  

To keep this thread relatated and on topic, there was a hot tub in the hotel. It was closed down.
07 Caldera Geneva

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2005, 06:22:03 pm »
Harry,

I wouldn't really change the temp, unless you keep it at something like 104, then I'd might say bring it down to 100, but I think this is insignificant on a quality insualted tub.

As far as temp goes, I don't think insulation is the worry as much as bacteria grows expotentially faster with each rise in degree.  Once the sanitizer gets low, a tub at 104 gets funkier faster at 104 that it does at 80.  I guess this is where a full bromine dispenser helps.  In the 2.5 years we have had our tub we haven't let it for more than 3 days.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Ehizzle

• "We're not here to talk nonsense to Bob Lablaw"
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2005, 08:20:46 pm »
the family is leaving for Wally World tomorrow

Isnt that slang for Wal-Mart?

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2005, 08:56:37 am »

As far as temp goes, I don't think insulation is the worry as much as bacteria grows expotentially faster with each rise in degree.  Once the sanitizer gets low, a tub at 104 gets funkier faster at 104 that it does at 80.  I guess this is where a full bromine dispenser helps.  In the 2.5 years we have had our tub we haven't let it for more than 3 days.

I agree.  If the tub is sanitized, and cleaned,  and has a 24 hour circ pump with an ozinator running, he should be fine for 8 days. easy.
07 Caldera Geneva

spaman--

• Hot tubs are not for soaking, they are for selling
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2005, 09:07:10 am »
Just a quick question to all the experts...the family is leaving for Wally World tomorrow and trying to figure out what my best option is from chemical and heating standpoint if the tub will be unused for 8 days. šAny suggestions...thanks!

Fill the fridge with food and beer I will fly out and spa sit for ya I been needin a vacation anyway. That is unless something great like pheasant hunting in North Dakota comes up then your on your own! ;D
-SpaMan~

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2005, 10:00:41 am »
Although the original poster asked about tub care while on an 8 day vacation,  what would be appropriate  for say a longer vacation, 2 weeks.  Or say a month or more?

07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2005, 10:00:41 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42