What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: replacement spa  (Read 3193 times)

fredo008

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
replacement spa
« on: October 29, 2005, 05:32:19 pm »
I have a Cal Spa that is 13 years old, and has finally gotten to the poing of no return,  I am looking at Coast and Sundance spas.  Spas have come a long way since 1992.  Any thoughts on either would be appreciated.

Hot Tub Forum

replacement spa
« on: October 29, 2005, 05:32:19 pm »

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
Re: replacement spa
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2005, 10:08:26 pm »
I vote for Sundance! But since I'm a spa newbie, you probably can't learn anything from me.

I will say I like the fact that I don't have to clean my filter on a monthly basis. Whether this was a big deal for you or not may determine if you want to try Sundance’s new disposable filter setup.

Buckee

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 12:59:51 am »
Have to ask this - what goes wrong with a spa that makes it "beyond the point of no return"?  Leaks, pumps, ????

PaulMc

• 2005 Sundance Majesta and lovin' it.
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2005, 07:05:14 am »
  I can't comment on the Coast except to say that my wife and daughter took a look at the Coast during their  initial looking but they seemed to think it was kind of gimmicky. I saw them at the Ex and tended to agree. International up here sells them and they have nice gazebos but if I was to ever enclose it I can build that myself.

We looked at a lot of tubs and chose the Sundance Majesta. Best for us with regards to size/fit, wet test, dealer, warranty, appearance, reputation and overall value. We've had it about 3 months and are extremely satisfied. Good luck in your search.    paul
Owner, Sundance Majesta , July '05, Ontario Canada

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2005, 09:35:53 am »
Coast Spas Gimmicky??????

Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

fredo008

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2005, 06:12:47 am »
After 13 years on a concrete slab, moisture does accumulate and even treated lumber rots.  Foam turns to powder, and yes, there is a  plumbing leak from somewhere within the bowels of the tub.  Now that's beyond repair.  For the record, I water tested a Coast spa this weekend.  Jets are extremely powerful.  The leg jets in their lounge seat pump both water and/or air.  Sundance's only pumps air.  Sundance is touting the fact that their circulation pump costs $.25 a day to operate, while (they say) a 4 HP pump on low speed (12 hrs a day) costs $1.33  a day.  Stay tuned....this could get interesting

nicker

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2005, 10:18:20 am »
out of those two I would go with Sundance.  I too think Coast are gimicky.   Also I tend to be turned off buy sales people going on and on about how Coast are the WORLDS best spas and how nothing else comes close.  When you push the sales that hard there is somthing a miss.   Curious though, as to why you just named those two spas?  Where are you located?

spaman--

• Hot tubs are not for soaking, they are for selling
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2005, 10:20:25 am »
So now would not be a good time to tout Cal Spas? ;D
-SpaMan~

golferm

• Tiger River Bengal Owner
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2005, 11:22:35 am »
So now would not be a good time to tout Cal Spas? ;D

Not seeing as fredo didn't ask for comments / opinions on Cal Spas.

BTW Fredo, I would think that the Sundance is the more quality of the two spas you're looking at.  The other thing you could do is look in a "bargain finder" type of publication to see which of the two spas you're looking at have the most used one's for sale.

Mark

hymbaw

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2005, 12:10:47 pm »
Fredo,
       We carried Coast as a second line for a couple of years(we are a Sundance dealer). True they are powerful, they are flashy(gimmicky),
but they are not a Sundance. We dropped them because it seemed 30% of the tubs leaked at the first fill! Though I can drive to Canada in 2 hours, it took WEEKS to get parts!
There are other tubs that compare favorably to a Sundance but Coast isn't one of them.

We like to say that they are "All sizzle, no steak"
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

Hot Tub Guru

• Heavenly Times Hot Tubs & Billiards
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2005, 01:20:38 pm »
After 13 years on a concrete slab, moisture does accumulate and even treated lumber rots.  Foam turns to powder, and yes, there is a  plumbing leak from somewhere within the bowels of the tub.  Now that's beyond repair.  For the record, I water tested a Coast spa this weekend.  Jets are extremely powerful.  The leg jets in their lounge seat pump both water and/or air.  Sundance's only pumps air.  Sundance is touting the fact that their circulation pump costs $.25 a day to operate, while (they say) a 4 HP pump on low speed (12 hrs a day) costs $1.33  a day.  Stay tuned....this could get interesting

It seems that an Arctic Spa with a Forever Floor might be worth a look.  The Forever Floor is a fiberglass base that can not rot.  The exterior walls are insulated.  So if an Arctic Spa has a leak the doors (with the insulation) can be removed for easy access.  This access allows you to fix your spa, along with upgrading your spa.

Michael
www.HeavenlyTimes.com

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2005, 01:20:38 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42