What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Operating costs.....  (Read 3591 times)

Cass

• Loving our Tiger River Caspian!!!!!!
Operating costs.....
« on: September 14, 2005, 09:19:39 pm »
What would you say are your avg. monthly operating costs?  Is it very expensive to run your tub during the wintertime?  Thanks.   :)

Hot Tub Forum

Operating costs.....
« on: September 14, 2005, 09:19:39 pm »

J._McD

Re: Operating costs.....
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 09:37:39 pm »
Consider the price you pay is aproximated at a buck a day or 30 bucks a month.  Ask your dealer because some will be more and some will be less.  considering the cost of $1 a day don't let this slow you down.  You will get more than that in personal value jin benefiting from the experience.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 09:45:38 pm »
Dollars per month is relatively useless.  Electric rates vary a lot, and the amount of KWH used per month is more meaningful.  
If I pay $.07/kwh and you pay $.14 per kwh your spa will cost twice as much as mine does all other things being equal.  
I live in the MPLS/St.Paul area, and our spa uses more power in the winter than summer but our electric bill remains relatively stable, since the a/c kicks on in the summer to use the power that the spa doesn't need when it's warm outside.
Brewman

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 06:14:33 am »
I don't own an air conditioner here in Duluth Brewman. Had to use the fans a couple times this summer though.  My tub filters for 2 hours twice daily in the summer with very very little heater use. As the weather gets cooler and cooler until winter sets in the KWH usage goes up and varies every day. In the late fall, winter, and early spring I filter for 4-6 hours twice daily which is more filtering than I need but the heat generated during the fitration process will reduce the side wall heat loss resulting in less heater usage. 375 gallon tub.

So after saying all that my tub cost slightly less than a dollar a day  ;D  Based on almost 1 year of metering, the KWH usage in the summer resulted in less than .30 cents per day with an outside ambient average of 71 to a high of 3.66 during a month with an outside ambient average of -4 F and some nights down to -27 F Nice huh. During the metering period there was 2-3 days a week usage. I have 11 months of metering KWH usage in a note book writen down because I though it would be important. After I did it a friend told me.....who cares, if your worried about the cost of operating a HT outside in Northern Minnesota you should not be buying one. Its a luxury that must be payed for and they cost 365 dollars a year to operate. Kinda summed it up. I no longer meter or dick around with my tub.
Retired

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 08:09:58 am »
I guess in Duluth you can get away with no A/C!
Here in the Minneapolis area, we'd have died this past summer- it got hot and humid.  
Anyway, I agree.  I don't keep too much track of my power costs either.  It's kinda like buying a Ferrari, and worrying about fuel economy and insurance costs.
Whatever it costs to run the spa, it's well worth it.
Brewman

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 10:05:33 am »
Another thing to factor in is the cost of chemicals per month.  I have only had my tub for 2 months but it looks like I will average $15-$20 per month on chemicals alone

jsimo7

• luvin hot wet nights
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 10:24:34 am »
I have a HS Envoy delivered on April 1st this year. I have noticed no increase in my electric bills since. April this year was in the 40's to 60'sF and May 50's to 60's in Ohio and then the summer arrived 80's and 90's. I'm sure it will cost a few bucks to keep hot thru winter but I hope no more than $20-$30 per month. The dealer said I would see approx. $5 to $10 per mo in the summer and $20 to $25 in the winter.

dalop

• If its not the Boat Its the Tub!
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2005, 01:06:33 pm »
I have had my tub for a little over a year. We had a cold winter and only saw an average of about 20 to 25 bucks a month more.

scott10367

• I live to spa and spa to live!
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2005, 01:36:51 pm »
Another thing to factor in is the cost of chemicals per month.  I have only had my tub for 2 months but it looks like I will average $15-$20 per month on chemicals alone

That seems high.  What system are you using on what size spa?

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2005, 05:26:28 am »

Seems way high....about my yearly cost 99 cents for a big box of baking soda and 25 bucks for 6 lb's of dichlor.
Retired

CalicoskiesNC

• In hot water since July 2004, love our Optima
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2005, 08:08:19 am »
I'm astounded at how easy and affordable it is having a spa.  We've had our Optima since July 04.  Chem costs are running about $80-100/yr, that includes the Nature2s. Filters run $45/yr.  Electricity is up $15-20/mo with tub.  Water is very cheap here in Raleigh NC.  It costs us about $3 to fill up our tub.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2005, 08:08:19 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42