What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Nature 2 and Dichloro  (Read 10405 times)

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
Re: Nature 2 and Dichloro
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2005, 09:49:43 am »
Isn't that what I said.

potassium peroxymonosulfate  is MPS, right?  In their right up they say:

"Add 1 tablespoon of potassium peroxymonosulfate (MPS)"

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2005, 09:49:43 am »

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2005, 09:54:07 am »
Tony,

You are right my goof.  From the website:

1 teaspoon dichlor = 3 tablespoons potassium peroxymonosulfate.

So if I do the math, I think my plan still holds and they spa dealer agreed.

Use Nature 2.

After every use:

1/2 teaspon Dichloro after use

Sunday
 Clean filter
 Shock with 1 1/2 teaspoons Dichloro  

Wednesday
  Add Stain and Scale inhibitor

Thanks for all your help,

Mark

Soakin

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2005, 10:42:34 am »
I second Windsurfdog's recommendation to visit rhtubs.com and check out the Vermonter post in the FAQ.  If 1/2 tsp daily is enough to get your tub to 3-5 ppm and maintain a 0.5 residual prior to your next use, then I think that your shock dosage should be 1.5 TABLESPOONS dichlor, not teapsoons.  

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2005, 10:46:53 am »
I read Vermonter post and the two big differences that I can see are:

Weekly 1.5 Tablespoons of Dichloro vs. 1.5 Teaspoons

second Windsurfdog's recommendation to visit rhtubs.com and check out the Vermonter post in the FAQ

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2005, 10:54:04 am »
Try again.

I read Vermonter post and the two big differences that I can see are:

Weekly 1.5 Tablespoons of Dichloro vs. 1.5 Teaspoons

The differnece in the about of Dichloro from Vermonter and what is recommend on Nature 2 seems large.  Maybe Vermonter is not using Nature 2, but he seems to.  Very interesting!

Weekly 2-3 Tablespoons MPS.

Do I need MPS?  It seems to bother my wife.  Hoping this new routine will help.  Acrording to the Nature 2 you can use Dichlor as a subsitute.

Soakin

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2005, 11:37:04 am »
I haven't read the Vermonter post for awhile, but I thought he recommended dichlor as a weekly shock instead of MPS, since you get a "supersanitation" along with oxidizing the chloramines.  As WSD and Vinny said, the key to a dichlor shock is to use enough to get over the "break point" in order to oxidize the combined chlorine.  That is why the Tbs vs tsp.  Perhaps the 1.5 tsp was intended to be a residual builder in conjunction with an MPS shock.
One thing to keep in mind as you compare Vermonter's recommendations to Nature2's:  Vermonter is a microbiologist with nothing to sell (unless you want his testing services),  Nature2's main selling point is reduced chemical usage.  Their rec's are likely to use a best case scenario to show how little chem you can get by with.  I prefer to have a little margin for error.  I have seen other posts here recommending 1/2 tsp/PERSON as a daily dose.  I would be a little more comfortable with that as a starting point.

When you try out your new routine, be sure to start out with a clean tub.  Monitor the sanitizer levels to make sure you get up to 3- 5 ppm after (20 minutes to 2 hours) the dose and maintain a measurable residual until the next use.  Next, measure your combined chlorine levels weekly (a few hours after shocking) to make sure that your shock dose is enough to oxidize and convert them back to free chlorine.  I suspect that you will need to increase the dichlor amounts in both cases, but each tub and use are different, so only time and monitoring will tell.  Good luck.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2005, 01:05:14 pm by Soakin »

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2005, 12:07:15 pm »
To summarize.

MPS is not needed.

System of Nature 2, Dichloro and Stain and Scale reomover will work.

I might need to increase the weekly amount of Dichloro from Teaspoons to Tablespoons.  But basically just monitor my chlorine levels and adjust the amounts accordingly.

Soakin

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2005, 12:44:17 pm »
To summarize... System of Nature 2, Dichloro and Stain and Scale remover will work...
Last try... To be clear, the system you outlined might work, but probably not at the daily/weekly levels you are talking about.  Start higher and work your way down, if your test results justify.  I understand your desire to use as little chemical as possible, but  as someone wiser than me has stated here "spare the dichlor and spoil the hot-tub".   It is much easier to lower sanitizer levels by decreasing doses than eradicate an infection caused by inadequate sanitation.  IMO a little too much chlorine is preferable to cloudy water, odors, rashes, etc.

One final note: you mentioned problems with high pH and rashes.  Be aware that chlorine is most effective at pH below 7.5.  If you are going to try to minimize residual sanitizer levels, be sure to keep your pH down.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2005, 01:00:39 pm by Soakin »

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2005, 01:07:05 pm »
I agree with your plan.  Just making sure that people agree that MPS is not needed, as long as I use enough Dichloro.

Soakin

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2005, 01:23:30 pm »
If you use enough dichlor as a weekly shock, MPS is not needed.

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2005, 10:23:51 am »
Here we go again.  I sent Nature 2 tech support an e-mail and they are suggest to use MPS with the cartridge and Dichlor only occasionally.  Here is what they suggest.

Start up:
     2 Teaspoons Dichlor

Daily:
     1.5 Tablespoon MPS

Weekly:
     4.5 Tablespoons MPS
     Stain and Scale Inhibitor

What do the pro's think?

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2005, 10:36:49 am »
One week update.  Have been using Nature 2 and Dichloro for a week and the results are promising.  The water smells fresh and clean, PH and Alkalinity reading good and no skin rash issues.  Here is my routine based on all your help.

Nature 2 in Filter

Weekly (Sunday)
 Clean Filter
 1 Tablespoon Dichloro
 Water Softener

After Use
 1 Teaspoon Dichlor

Once a Week (Wednesday)
 Add Stain and Scale Inhibitor

The only issue I have is that the water is not as crystal clear as I think it should be (wife thinks it looks good).  It may be just me, I can put a quater on the bottom and see the outline of the eagle.

Soakin

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2005, 10:55:13 am »
Marks, that looks like a good routine, but I wonder if your weekly shock dose is enough to get over the "break point" to oxidize the combined chlorines.  Most of the material I have seen recommends a shock dose of 10X the amount of combined chlorine or an amount 5-7 times your daily dose.  6X1 tsp would be 2 TBS.  I'd review the Vermonter material or a Taylor water care guide if you have one.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2005, 10:55:13 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42