What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Floating thermal blankets???  (Read 12082 times)

goingwarp

• nothin like tubbin after a long day
Floating thermal blankets???
« on: September 09, 2005, 07:17:31 pm »
I was just wondering if anyone has ever used a floating thermal blanket for there tub, if so did anyone see any differences less heat loss out of the tub in the winter, less chem usage anything??

Hot Tub Forum

Floating thermal blankets???
« on: September 09, 2005, 07:17:31 pm »

TattedVenus

Re: Floating thermal blankets???
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 07:28:20 pm »
The use of a thermal blanket is a good idea! It helps to reduce evaporation and extends the life of your cover. Using it does reduce how much water you evaporate therefore you do not have to fill the tub as often. The biggest advantage, I think, is that the cover lasts longer. Chemicals and water get absorbed into the vinyl and foam and cause quite a problem. If you use the blanket you will notice that the cores  of the cover don't get as watered down. Also, using the blanket in the summer instead of your regular cover is a good idea. That way you are removing and putting back on that heavy cover. Depending  on the climate outside in the summer it will ease your removal. The covers are usually $20 and are good fro about a year. If you have a pool too you can cut up your old solar blanket if you need a new one and save more $$$. I would definitely use one.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 08:37:06 pm »
I bought a foam cover from Doc and it seems to do an OK job. Of course my fitting it to the spa leaves a lot to be desired and having neck jets I had to (?) cut out extra to allow for them not to spill over on top of the cover.

I do see moisture on the main cover around the perimeter of the foam cover so for me it's not totally sealed. I feel (maybe wrongly) that since I have 95 - 98% of the water's surface covered - I'm doing better than not having it.

I also use the cover leash from Doc so that I can lift both covers up at the same time!

goingwarp

• nothin like tubbin after a long day
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2005, 11:26:58 am »
howw about in terms of keeping the heat in, that is a major concern of mine, has anyone noticed any less of a heat drop with the blanket on

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2005, 11:34:37 am »
The lovely Venus (welcome BTW :) ), nailed it. Though I do still recommend the use of the original cover 12 months of the year due to dust and dirt getting in the spa easier without it.

As for the added energy efficiency...that's what your hard cover is for and it shouldn't make a noticeable difference in winter operational costs. That said, it can't hurt either. :-/

The main drawback is removing it from the water and storing it during use after you've removed your hard cover. Especially in the cold months when it's frozen!

Steve

Snowbird

• What did he say?
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2005, 06:59:51 pm »
Vinny, Who is Doc? And what is a cover leash? ???

The idea of a thermal pool blanket makes sense to me, if for no other reason than to reduce evaporation.

Do you think it will increase chemical concentration since they will not be able to gas off as quickly?

The down side would be that it is another cover to remove and it will be dripping wet.  My spa will be on an enclosed deck and the blanket would probably cause more water problems outside the tub than it will prevent inside.

Overall, it seems like a complication with limited overall benefit.  But, I might be willing to try it after I have my spa for awhile.
The World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2005, 07:39:15 pm »
Vinny, Who is Doc? And what is a cover leash? ???

Doc is Dr. Spa who posts here and has his own website/store/forum at rhtubs.com.

I have been there a few years and just recently, 6-8 months found this site.

In his store he sells everything for your tub and the one invention he has there is the "cover leash". Basically it's webbed straps you attach to the main cover and the floating cover and when you remove the main cover, the floating cover follows.  It works great!

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2005, 10:24:33 am »
... and the one invention he has there is the "cover leash". Basically it's webbed straps you attach to the main cover and the floating cover and when you remove the main cover, the floating cover follows.  It works great!

Sounds like a great idea. I do have one question for you or Doc:
I've got a 90" x 84" cover. Would I need to order just one strap or 2 or 3? Or do you only need one strap placed at the leading edge of the cover and the blanket follows when you pull back the main cover? ???

Thanks,

Phil
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2005, 11:15:00 am »
The Blanket Leash actually consists of 3 seperate straps. One at each end and one in the middle.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2005, 11:15:00 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42