What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Dealing with dealers  (Read 7051 times)

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Dealing with dealers
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2005, 02:30:03 pm »

One other thing to consider, I've heard of people posing as customers just to get a free soak in a hot tub.  They tend to be younger people, but not always.  Who knows, maybe he's run into a lot of that and wants to keep the users to a minimum.

Sounds like a potential sales opportunity to me.  
Wonder how many of your sales came from those who "just came in to browse" vs the serious shoppers.
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2005, 02:30:03 pm »

TubsAndCues

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2005, 02:43:12 pm »
Exactly my point, Brewman!  I had one very recent sale strictly because I offered them a wet test with no strings.  They didn't seem that interested at first, but after they came back for the wet test, they decided they wanted that tub at their house.  Like I said, I don't know why the other dealer would do that, but I know I wouldn't want to come across like that.

J._McD

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2005, 04:21:56 pm »
Dealing with dealers/sales people and dealing with consumers/shoppers in this scenario have one thing in common, they are both DEALING each other.

Ebirrane found a way to deal with a situation successfully and did it in a self serving manner that did not destroy his potential to consider that spa.  I might suggest the $100 approach is a way for the dealer/salesperson to deal with, or "read" the reactions of someone who may have wet tested other spas with out making a decision and a serious shopper.  The response or reaction would be helpful in understanding the potential result and could even be a smoke screen.

Obviously, his statement drew a reaction and he may have been playing you for that reaction to determine your level of serious intent.  He is simply trying to qualify your interest.  Let him know if your offended and ask him the reason or purpose of such a committment.  If you feel it, say it.

While I support the water testing and we do go the extra mile to fill spas that are not filled, I have read threads that have set records on water testing when the person knowingly will only buy one.  However the pursuit is which one, I know.  But, when you water test 15 spas to buy one that leaves 14 salespeople hoping to fulfill your expectations that have wasted their time and efforts and probably will never know the final outcome either.

I think the water testing should be the "clincher" between 2 or 3 final choices and should not require a deposit.  But, when some people, and they do, water test numerous spas without serious interest or intent in buying until they water test 10 more, it makes it very frustrating to those in this business who try to please the consumer, to watch them walk out without making a committment and never return your phone calls.  I think they should at least be willing to inform you of their final decision.

Who wants to waste time persuing uninterested people that do not respect the time and efforts that were provided for their purpose in the hopeful expectation of a sale.

Statistics stated on this board indicate less than 5% of shoppers actually water test before buying, but yet it seems the overwhelming majority of people on this board strongly encourage water testing before buying.  That seems disporpotionate.

I wonder why that is? ???

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2005, 05:16:47 pm »
I don't know how all the dealers feel about this, but this is where I stand on wet tests.

COME ON IN as many times as you want to!  I'm not going to ask you for $100 to test your seriousness.  I understand that the reason you are here is because you are seriously considering buying my product.  I WANT you to buy my product because you will enjoy it.  If you're still wet testing at my store, that means I am still in the game.

You see, I understand my place in the world.  I am selling luxury products that everyone wants but only some are able to afford.  I will cater to you and treat you as a guest.  I want you to have a great experience so that you will tell your friends about that "good ol' boy down there sellin' Hot Springs jacuzzies".  I'm not going to play games with you, I'm going to answer your questions "Yes Ma'am" and "No Sir".

Don't think for a minute I'll put up with any Mickey Mouse BS either.  We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone.  Those folks seem to be few and far between.

Terminator

Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2005, 05:31:32 pm »
I don't know how all the dealers feel about this, but this is where I stand on wet tests.

COME ON IN as many times as you want to!  I'm not going to ask you for $100 to test your seriousness.  I understand that the reason you are here is because you are seriously considering buying my product.  I WANT you to buy my product because you will enjoy it.  If you're still wet testing at my store, that means I am still in the game.

You see, I understand my place in the world.  I am selling luxury products that everyone wants but only some are able to afford.  I will cater to you and treat you as a guest.  I want you to have a great experience so that you will tell your friends about that "good ol' boy down there sellin' Hot Springs jacuzzies".  I'm not going to play games with you, I'm going to answer your questions "Yes Ma'am" and "No Sir".

Don't think for a minute I'll put up with any Mickey Mouse BS either.  We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone.  Those folks seem to be few and far between.

Terminator

Sounds good. Will you fill and refill a model for a customer multiple times or do you have all HS models dry and wet on the floor?
Homeworks Financing Representative

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2005, 05:51:24 pm »
Sounds good. Will you fill and refill a model for a customer multiple times or do you have all HS models dry and wet on the floor?

I don't have enough room in my store to have them all wet and all dry at the moment.  When we increase the store size, I'll try to do what I can.  Right now, I've got a Grandee, Vista, Envoy, Accolade, Sovereign, Prodigy, Sumatran, and Solana TX wet.

As far as filling and refilling, you bet I will!  Only had to do it once, but it's easy as pie.  People in this area are generally pretty resonable and easygoing.  They've usually got enough sense to make up their mind rather quickly. ;D

Terminator

J._McD

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2005, 06:09:51 pm »
Terminator, why are you sitting on a hot tub brandishing and automatic weapon, you seem like such a nice guy? Is this a closing tool?  ;D???

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2005, 06:11:43 pm »
SEMI-automatic weapon, and I am a nice guy. 8)  I also handle customer complaints!

Terminator

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2005, 06:27:10 pm »
Nice touch, Terminator!  Good catch on the semi-auto.
Brewman

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2005, 10:55:16 am »
Rumor has it, in my area the Bullfrog dealer charges for wet tests.  Not just a refundable deposit on a model, charge for the actual wet test.  I think it was $10 or something.  I felt this was somewhat outrageous.  

When I was shopping, all dealers I seriously considered allowed and encouraged wet testing.  (wouldn't have thought about it until I started reading here and on other boards)  In one store, one of the salespeople told me I was the first person in my city he had ever seen wet test.

My final 2 choices got multiple wet tests.  In fact, the LA Spa dealer researched the HotSpring Vanguard I was leaning toward, and matched it to the ones in the LA line that were comparable in depth and seating.  I tested 3-4 in her shop that day!  Finally decided on the Vanguard, because hubby liked the looks of it better (he refused to wet test).  It was so close, and HotSpring is such a great product, I went with it.  I couldn't have gone wrong with the LA though, I still think it was a great spa.

Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2005, 12:52:56 pm »
The worst thing a sales person can do is to try and pre-judge a customer.

I have been making very large purchases for a long time. When I was young, 18+, I often came across sales people who pre-judged me or just didn’t want to help me.

It was always nice to give the sale to a different sales person who was nicer, willing to help me, in the same store or car dealer.

The thing that gets me here is the amount. $100 is trivial when you’re looking at a $6K+ tub so the only thing this does is test the waters between the store and customer. Some people don’t think twice and others are offended.

I know there are "real sales" that are factory backed with incentives but the HS dealer by me changes their sign ever week with a new sale. All hype!

Aside from pricing tactics, all dealers should operate like these guys. They will fill any tub at any time and will always offer you a cold drink during your wet test. I know you all can’t operate like that but my point here is to give credit to these guys.

J._McD

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2005, 03:33:41 pm »
My final 2 choices got multiple wet tests.  In fact, the LA Spa dealer researched the HotSpring Vanguard I was leaning toward, and matched it to the ones in the LA line that were comparable in depth and seating.  I tested 3-4 in her shop that day!  Finally decided on the Vanguard, because hubby liked the looks of it better (he refused to wet test).  

Looks like the LA dealer went above and beyond to earn the right to your business.  Sounds similar to another poster who wet tested a long list of spas and hubby made the decision refusing to wet test.  While I am sure wet testing may have influenced the decision, in many instances what's not to like, it appears that most of the final decisions are based on looks and other issues without a wet test.

No offense intended or implied, but all of this wet testing is done by less than 5% of the shoppers, maybee even less, that actually do wet test.  They must really put the dealers through the hoops, when 95% of the buyers make their decisions without a test soak.

It appears the odds are in favor of wet testing.  95% don't and 5% do, and the dealers could have it a whole lot worse if the numbers were reversed.  However, with $100 deposits and $10 wet testing fees, it appears that some dealers are trying to qualify the soakers interest or just getting tired of the soakers and are trying to discourage them.  

Observations seem to indicate a whole lot of wet testing does not result in a sale or a reward for the effort.  Just out of curiosity, after water testing, don't they ask you to buy or try to close the sale?  ???

How do you handle that? ???

Guzz

• I sell HotSprings & other things as well!
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2005, 04:25:41 pm »
I love wet testers! If they are prepared to walk around half naked in my store with other people around, I call that a very serious buyer. The percentage of customers that buy after a wet test is far higher than non testers.
And I always ask for the sale when they are in the spa. If you are still undecided and want to still shop around, just say so, no good sales person is going to get pushy with you because you  are not sure. I encourage people to shop around, if you like me and like my product, you'll come back.

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2005, 05:56:21 pm »
The LA Dealer did go above and beyond.  It was a close race.  I know I would have been happy with either tub.  She tried to sell it to me, I wanted my husband to at least see the tub in person.  He had already seen the HotSpring.  Hubby gave me the choice, but when it came down to it, it was an even break between the 2.  The real deciding point was the HotSpring dealer had been in busines for 25 or so years and hubby felt they would be more reliable.  The LA dealer (I actually dealt with the owner) had only been around for a couple of years at the time.   And hubby doesn't use the tub, except maybe 2 times a year, complains about the heat!  It makes me happy, that is the important thing!

I have bought chemicals from the LA dealer, on occasion.  She is a lot closer to me.  Plus, my HotSpring dealer doesn't sell tubs anymore.  Just pools.  The LA dealer continues to be great!  At one point, I wished I could afford to buy both tubs, I didn't want either one to lose a sale!

I love my Vanguard!  I'm so happy I bought a tub, I don't know why I waited so long!  
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2005, 04:21:35 pm »
People seeking the best spa for them (or look here first) wet test.  Everyone else will be happy because warm bubbly water feels good, but they won't know how good because they made an expensive impulse buy.  I tested already wet tubs.  You can get an idea what the mfr offers.  If you like the tub line and dealer and are interested in another tub that is not wet, then I would say it's OK to request it filled.  To have them fill to "play" is not right in my opinion.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2005, 04:21:35 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42