What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Electric help and a concrete slab.  (Read 3076 times)

krotz31

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Electric help and a concrete slab.
« on: August 17, 2005, 07:59:45 pm »
starting the slab fo my new optima on order.
Do I need to ground the rebar,and if so what is the best way.

Hot Tub Forum

Electric help and a concrete slab.
« on: August 17, 2005, 07:59:45 pm »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Electric help and a concrete slab.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 07:43:39 am »
Check with the local electrical authority in your area.  They'll tell you if this is necessary.  
Not sure myself how, since I didn't have to do it.  I did have to bond my spa to the nearby water spigot, but that's as close as I got.
Brewman
Brewman

tootall

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 12:00:55 pm »
You don't ground rebar! a grounding rod is about 6' long and only about 6" are left out Rebar if done right on a 4" slab should be in the cement about 2" from the ground and no  more then 2" from the surface. other wise you will have shadowing and defintly have concrete problems on the surface. Ok so in thoery the rebar is floating in the middle. and that does not suport a ground. you ground it to the grounding rod via the main box. or Put in a new ground rod.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 12:02:18 pm by tootall »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 12:07:31 pm »
There was talk on this forum not too long ago about some new requirement to ground rebar.  Not sure of the details, but it did get discussed as being a new addition to the NEC, if I recall.
Brewman
Brewman

velocity23

• If it ain't broke...break it
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 12:33:28 pm »
The code does not say that the rebar in a slab is a grounding electrode. Only the rebar in a footing or foundation. See 250.52(A)(3). If the footing or foundation rebar is accessible, then you are required, by 250.50, to use it as part of the grounding electrode system. But since this sounds to be just a slab the rebar would not have to be grounded IMO. Hope this helps

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 03:58:10 pm »
Ok...here's how we did it. We took and made a 8foot by 12 foot frame...then took and borrowed a small cute looking tractor from my hubby's work and then we laid the frame...dug a 2 foot trench (not sure it was 2 foot might have been deeper) and laid the #6 wire into a pipe and buried it in the trench..... then we laid chicken wire and put the concrete over the top of that...I'm really wishing though that hubby would have left the area that the stairs and where my feet were going to be walking on as a smooth surface but noooooo they had to make it rough!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005, 04:05:30 pm »
The code does not say that the rebar in a slab is a grounding electrode. Only the rebar in a footing or foundation. See 250.52(A)(3). If the footing or foundation rebar is accessible, then you are required, by 250.50, to use it as part of the grounding electrode system. But since this sounds to be just a slab the rebar would not have to be grounded IMO. Hope this helps

You make sense to me.  Having to ground rebar in a cement pad for a spa doesn't make sense to me.
Brewman
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 04:05:43 pm by Brewman »
Brewman

tootall

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2005, 04:08:22 pm »
NEC code you do not ground rebar!!! if something went wrong your pad would fry you! you run the ground to the spa disconect box, then to the main load center pannel and that is grounded to the grounding rod!
Have a electrican come out and check its right you don't want to turn your Spa into a stew pot.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2005, 07:30:45 pm by tootall »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2005, 04:08:22 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42