What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Is my water what it appears?  (Read 4827 times)

SJK

Is my water what it appears?
« on: August 11, 2005, 11:33:04 pm »
I've got a question for anyone familiar with the carefree system (Beachcomber).  I've had my tub since April 28 and have probably added Carefree twice - none for weeks!  My test readings always show that the carefree level runs from good to high and the alk is nearly always good.  I have even taken samples into the Beachcomber dealer and her computer says the carefree level is ok and don't add any.  She suggested I quit using the puck floater, which I did two weeks ago - but it didn't make any difference. The water "seems" perfect.

Basically I add a half cap of Boost every other day, with an couple ounces of Spa Perfect every other week or so and outside of cleaning the filter, thats about it.  My water is always crystal clear....no foam, no scum....nothing.   My wife are in the tub almost every night, we've had the same water for 4 months and our TDS is still only 1000ppm.  I don't get it.  The Beachcomber regimen says to add Carefree every week, but the dealer says if you don't need it don't add it.  So who's right?  I don't want to end up with some bizarre skin rash because I'm not adding the recommended stuff.  Any thoughts?

Hot Tub Forum

Is my water what it appears?
« on: August 11, 2005, 11:33:04 pm »

Rayman

• KEEP ON TUBBING.....Bea chcomber owner
Re: Is my water what it appears?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 02:47:51 pm »
That's very interesting.. I am on Carefree as well and I add the Carefree everyweek.  It has nothing to do with alk, ph or chlorine though it is supposed to codition the water so you don't have to add enzymes and other chemicals.  I am using the pucks as well as the tsps of Dichlor mine seems fine as well.  I would say keep up what you are doing if you are having no problems.  This is just my opinion and I am a new owner as well so listen to the experts and your dealer.

Ray
Beachcomber 750, Brampton On Canada, GO LEAFS GO!!

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 03:32:43 pm »
If it aint broke.......

Rayman, how are things with the tub? I hope you are enjoying trouble free use with your new tub.
Homeworks Financing Representative

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 12:27:04 pm »
I've got a question for anyone familiar with the carefree system (Beachcomber).  I've had my tub since April 28 and have probably added Carefree twice - none for weeks!  My test readings always show that the carefree level runs from good to high and the alk is nearly always good.  I have even taken samples into the Beachcomber dealer and her computer says the carefree level is ok and don't add any.  She suggested I quit using the puck floater, which I did two weeks ago - but it didn't make any difference. The water "seems" perfect.

Basically I add a half cap of Boost every other day, with an couple ounces of Spa Perfect every other week or so and outside of cleaning the filter, thats about it.  My water is always crystal clear....no foam, no scum....nothing.   My wife are in the tub almost every night, we've had the same water for 4 months and our TDS is still only 1000ppm.  I don't get it.  The Beachcomber regimen says to add Carefree every week, but the dealer says if you don't need it don't add it.  So who's right?  I don't want to end up with some bizarre skin rash because I'm not adding the recommended stuff.  Any thoughts?

Carefree itself is a "conditioner" only. The concept is add weekly as it contains products to maintain clarity and prevent staining and scaling.

Truth be known...there is NO WAY to test for carefree. What they're testing for is boost (chlorine) and that's it. When it first came out, they told us dealers to test the same as chlorine and the initial reading will be the boost. Leave for 7 or 8 min (I think it was) and that will give you your carefree reading. It's not true and they changed their testing to only boost as this information was wrong. Leave any water sample of chlorine / bromine in the test vile and it's going to darken over this period of time for sure.

My suggestion would be to add carefree weekly and boost as you have been. The boost is the key to preventing problems as IT is your sanitizer.

Steve

Rayman

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 09:04:46 pm »
If it aint broke.......

Rayman, how are things with the tub? I hope you are enjoying trouble free use with your new tub.

Thanks for thinking of me HTM, my new tub is problem free so far and we are enjoying it daily, I meant to respond to you on the 50sq ft filter, they come with the 25sq ft filter and they don't recommend the 50 sq ft.  They say it can actually be less productive since the pleats are so tight together, who's to know but my water is very clear with the 25 sq ft so I'm leaving it.

Ray

SJK

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 12:01:52 am »
Thanks Steve, I was hoping you'd answer.  You're right on...... I wait the 7 minutes and the water is purple every time.  I'll add the Carefree tonight.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005, 12:25:19 am »
Thanks Steve, I was hoping you'd answer.  You're right on...... I wait the 7 minutes and the water is purple every time.  I'll add the Carefree tonight.

You are very welcome SJK! I'm surprised that there's still dealers attempting to test for Carefree after all of the information dealers received explaining that there's NO WAY to test for it. I bet they aren't selling anywhere near the amount of Carefree they should be and in turn, are doing their customers a huge dis-service.

I would let your dealer know and Beachcomber head offcie will certainly back up what I've said here.

Tell your dealer to test for chlorine and leave it for 7 minutes and ask them what would happen to the color...
They will tell you that the sample will get darker and that's all that's happening with this incorrect "Carefree" test.

Go teach your dealer a thing er 2 will ya! ;D

Steve

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2005, 03:01:54 pm »
Beachcomber does have a Carefree test strip that tests for pH and oxidizer.

We used to sell those tubs and chems here at this store.

Amazingly my Hydropool that has bromine pucks and is shocked with dichlor shows a Carefree reading of 3PPM ???

Hmmm

Rayman

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2005, 03:20:59 pm »
Beachcomber does have a Carefree test strip that tests for pH and oxidizer.

We used to sell those tubs and chems here at this store.

Amazingly my Hydropool that has bromine pucks and is shocked with dichlor shows a Carefree reading of 3PPM ???

Hmmm

Must be Steve influencing the test results, I put it in everyweek Saturday @8am is that OK or should i have a coffee first?

Ray

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2005, 04:23:12 pm »

Must be Steve influencing the test results, I put it in everyweek Saturday @8am is that OK or should i have a coffee first?

Ray

On weeks that begin with an even number have the coffe first.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2005, 04:23:12 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42