What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 10 Year Old Cameo?  (Read 3495 times)

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
10 Year Old Cameo?
« on: August 15, 2005, 10:22:07 am »
Gang,

I've got someone in my neighborhood that just moved into their house and there's a Sundance Cameo that was built in 1995 half sunken into their back deck.  (we can get under the deck to access the pumps and control system to do any maintenance)

They haven't got it running yet as their hose in the backyard is broke and right now have no way of filling it.  They plan on getting the spicket fixed this week and I told him I'd help him out trying to get it up and running.

I went by there last night and it's in pretty good shape for 10 years old.  It's was sitting with a little water in the bottom so there was stuff basically growing/living in it.  Pretty nasty.    I think it's been empty for a while (a few months maybe but could be longer).  The cushions need replacing and the filter is down right nasty.  Shell looks in pretty good shape though and all the jets appear to be intact.

We're going to try to get it filled sometime this week and get it cleaned out.

What kinds of things should I expect might be wrong with it since we're not sure how long it's been since it's run.  Should I maybe recommend to him to get a Sundance technician out there to give it a once over before doing anything?  I don't know if it  may need new pump seals or if the pumps are even working.

Also, how easy is it go get replacement parts for a 10 year old Sundance?  

Any help or thoughts before we try anything would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

Hot Tub Forum

10 Year Old Cameo?
« on: August 15, 2005, 10:22:07 am »

nicker

Re: 10 Year Old Cameo?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 11:16:49 am »
I would call the tech to ask them the same questions you have asked here.  I would think the pump seals would need replacing.  Chances are they are dried out and cracked.  Not sure if the pumps them selves would need work.  But I am sure a dealer would make some suggestions.  You would hate to attempt to run it and really damage somthing.  Id definetly get the clean on process on its way.

Keep us posted.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 11:45:47 am »
I'd fill it with water, mark the waterline and let it sit a few days to make sure it holds water before I went much further.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005, 05:03:16 pm »
I believe 1995 was the year SD had the glue issue.

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2005, 10:26:01 pm »
I believe 1995 was the year SD had the glue issue.

Glue issue?  What should I be looking for?
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

J._McD

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2005, 11:36:44 pm »
spatech hit the nail on the head, fill it and mark the water line.  The "glue issue" is a very good reason NOT to build your spa into a deck.  Get it filled and the motors running.  Mark the water line and let it run a couple of days.  Change the diverters valves to other plumbing segments and check the base perimeter of the spa for any evidence of water leaks.

If you get past this point, run it for a couple of months and everything should be good.  Let us know what you find.  Being built into a deck does not leave you a lot of options.  You can not remove any of the side panels to investigate any leaks with it built in.  

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005, 10:06:58 am »
The glue issue happened when certain environmental laws in CA forced spa companies (and others) to change the glue used to join plastic piping.  The glue SD changed to failed on some of their spas.  Most of these were repaired or replaced under warranty.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005, 10:06:58 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42