What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: We want a Hot Tub!  (Read 5936 times)

McGregor

We want a Hot Tub!
« on: August 03, 2005, 06:11:26 pm »
My wife and I want to purchase a new hot tub. We've enjoyed them when we are on vacations and are eager to get one installed by the end of the summer. To be honest with you...I know nothing about hot tubs. I just know we enjoy them tremendously.

We want to purchase a decent hot tub that will last a while. Don't need anything fancy...just something that would be good for a married couple who enjoy soaking after a long day at work. We have a great spot in the back yard...have yet to visit any spa places.

Any tips or advice would be great!

Hot Tub Forum

We want a Hot Tub!
« on: August 03, 2005, 06:11:26 pm »

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
Re: We want a Hot Tub!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 06:33:47 pm »
Buying a spa for many is a difficult experience, I think the reason is most people are simply not familiar with a spa. Some compare it to car shopping and while not all can work on car most of us have ridden in them, most of us know at least a handful of makers and have an idea of who are the quality brands. Its not like that with a spa, I would say find a local dealer in your area see what brand they carry, how long they have carried it. Are they a full service spa dealer or is it a side business to something else they might do. than when you are comfortable with your dealer go in and wet test the models you like. I think it fair to say there is consistent advice given here to stick with the better known makers which on most lists would be , Sun dance, Marquis, Hot Springs. Coleman. Caldera, D-1, Artesian , and a few others. If you have a question ask ,most here are happy to help.

vlady

• 05 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 06:40:58 pm »
There are a lot of tubs to choose from and a lot of information so don't get overwhelmed.  As you shop, ask for a brochure and make notes in it -  prices, warranty information, what you liked or disliked about a particular tub.  You will be amazed how helpful this can be when you start having information overload.

Look at a few models and decide what features are important to you
Decide what type of warranty you are comfortable with
The price range
Find a dealer that you are comfotable with
Then it will come down to the personal decision of what fits and is comfortable to you.  All bodies are shaped differently and not everything is comfortable to everybody.

By that time, your decision will be made.

Good luck in your search!

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 06:47:02 pm »
I agree with both Mendocino and vlady on this, but I would also point out that 90% of your decision will be based on your wet tests. The hot tub must fit the person that is buying it and to do this..most dealers will welcome your wet tests and encourage you to do so.

Happy hunting, don't get to frustrated or overwhelmed it's worth the shopping!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 06:57:18 pm »
Look around and see what YOU like!

Do you want a lounger? Some people do and some do not.

If you read this and other forums, you'll see L O N G posts about full foam vs thermopane; circ pump vs none and almost anything else that's in a tub - DON'T WORRY about that stuff. Find a tub AND a dealer that you like, if you can bring yourself to wet test - do so. I personally didn't but my tub does feel different wet than when I sat in it dry!

Price is important as warranties and features go up as the price increases but it's up to what you can afford too, You can get a tub for around $6000 to over $12000.

Have fun shopping!

McGregor

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005, 07:04:50 pm »
Whoa! So helpful...thanks! Not sure exactly how much we want to spend for a hot tub. Also wonder about having it installed and laying down concrete underneath the spa. We have a perfect spot in our backyard but it's just ground cover and weeds. I've been told you have to lay down a concrete slab. There's also the electrical part....does the dealer do all this or do we find some elctrician?

Anyway...we're going to someplaces tonight just to get an idea of what we like. The California State Fair is soon....perhaps we'll get more info there...tons of spa dealers.

thanks again!

mark 2550

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2005, 07:44:10 pm »
Were like you rying to decide on a tub we both like along with a good dealer who will service down the road if needed, as for the placement of tub I was tossing around both ideals of concrete pad or wooden deck and I have decided to pour a concrete pad and then build the deck around the tub.

Take your time and defiantely check all tub's available in your area and get one that you both enjoy.

Good luck and have fun doing so

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2005, 08:45:05 pm »
Horsepower is overrated.
Observe the variety of jets, not numbers.
Take some bathing suits and wet test.

Showroom models are great for discounts.
Pressure to buy today is a red flag.
Research brands on the internet.
In-house service is a big plus.
Nowledge is your best bargaining tool.
Get the entire warranty in writing.

;)

Terminator

Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

J._McD

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2005, 09:20:53 pm »
My wife and I want to purchase a new hot tub. We've enjoyed them when we are on vacations and are eager to get one installed by the end of the summer. To be honest with you...I know nothing about hot tubs. I just know we enjoy them tremendously.

We want to purchase a decent hot tub that will last a while. Don't need anything fancy...just something that would be good for a married couple who enjoy soaking after a long day at work. We have a great spot in the back yard...have yet to visit any spa places.

Any tips or advice would be great!

Let's cut to the chase, Yeah, stop in to your local Sundance dealer this week, purchase an optima or a cameo, your choice, have it delivered and enjoy it for the next 20 years.

Or, spend the next 6 months researching all 140 manufacturer's, water test everyone, haggle out the best deal on a Sundance optima or cameo paying $600 less get it delivered in February and lose 6 month of pure enjoyment that you will wish then that you just made the spontaeneous decision to buy a good hot tub.  

Or, for that matter go to your nearest hot tub dealer, get to know how he does business and develope a relationship.  If that dosen't work go to another dealer until you find a person you can trust, have him deliver one after telling him the price range you want to be in and coming to an agreement.

State Fair, for goodnes sake, leave your wallet and your check book in the car or at home.  It is a great place to shop, but a terrible place to buy.  If it is a good deal today, it should be a good deal tomorrow and you should not have to be pressured into a decision.  Most people make the worst decisions at shows and fairs, but believe me they will tell you about the GREAT DEAL they got on a $14,000 spa and they only paid $8,200 for it, when the show room sells it under competetive pressure for $7,600.  

Welcome to the spa world.  There are a lot of good procucts to buy and a lot of good dealers to buy from locally.  Who might even be at the fair.  Shop around now and find out if they will be there.  Believe me, you don't know who you are buying from at the fair, but you already know there will be a lot of choices there.  It is like salmon swimming up stream.  Some of the BIG BEARS are at the top of the waterfall and just catch fish in their mouth as they jump into it.

Most of us are honest and will do the right thing for you.  But, you are looking for Product, Price, Service, and a relationship.  You have been following the board, so you know some of the names to be looking for.  STAY AWAY from the bargains and the super deals.  Buy the quality names that you can identify on this board.

Please excuse the flipant and humorous approach to this post, but it is an honest and truthful one.

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2005, 10:57:56 pm »
I've been told you have to lay down a concrete slab. There's also the electrical part....does the dealer do all this or do we find some elctrician?

You can put a tub on something other than concrete.  Some of it will depend on the size of the tubs. If you get a 9'x9' tub that sucker is going to be heavy and putting it on pea gravel might not be a great idea.  A ub of half the weight might be just fine.  Dealers will let you know if there are any types of bases that will void the warranty.  Concrete slabs, "e-z spa pads", and reenforced decks seem to be the most popular.

Electrical is often separate from the price of the tub. I know that HS throws the GFCI breaker box in with the tub, which is a nice little extra.  Expect to pay about $800 for electrical hookup.  Some have paid much more!  Your dealer should be able to let you know what the usually costs, and many can point you to a known/favored electrician.

Usually dealers just deliver and service the tub.  You need to prepare a foundation, get the electrical out to the tub spot, and make sure there is enough room to get the tub where you want it.

As for tubs themselves, there is so much info on this site.  Take a week or so and just read some back threads.

I agree with J._Mc.D when he says "buy a sundance.. have it for 20 years, no problemo".  Except I'd say HS because that is what I own.  Some of the research on tubs is alot of work, and you'll see lots of smoke and mirrors.  If you get overloaded and just want something that you don't want to have to worry about buy a good major brand (Sundance and Hot Spring consistently rank in that category) and barring the purchase of a fluke/lemon (which is possible from any manufacturer) you will be happily tubbing for years to come.

The ***fun*** part, and one which shouldn't disuade you from shopping around is the wet test.  TAKE YOU SWIM SHORTS to every hot tub dealer you go to.  Sit in the tubs in the middle of the day, or right after they close.  Play with the jets, stay in the tub for 10-15 minutes.  Bring a friend or two to see how roomy the tub is with real people in it.  Experience all the jets and have fun!  bring a notepad. Take notes. It is the most fun of the shopping.

Two or three tubs all give a good wet test? Go back and wet test again!  You'll get to know your dealer, the tubs, and what your back likes.  And you'll get the best nights sleep in a long time!!

Best of luck.

-Ed

fatman

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2005, 07:18:42 am »
Check your personal messages at the upper part of your screen.  Whatever you do, don't buy anything at a county fair. If anything use it for education only.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2005, 09:08:50 am »
I  agree with ebirrane's  post, you also need to consider the electrical in addition to the pad. All godl stuff to think of and included in your budget and plan.

Where are you located? Are you in a cold or warm climate?

If you are in a cold climate, then placement of the tub is important (to me at least) for getting in out of the tub when there is 3' of snow on the ground.  ;D   Of  course too one spot maybe better than another for electrical connections too.

I agree that you shouldn't go for the steroes, tvs. remotes and even fancy light packages and waterfalls. to me it doesn't make a big difference in enjoying the tub. YMMV.

I'd start by taking a look at several of the major brand tubs and then maybe come back here and discuss your expereince's  and reactions.

And for what it's worth. I'm very happy with my Tiger River Caspain,  a decent sized, general purpose tub. Great quality and not a lot of bells and whistles.  

Good luck, and oh yea...don't forget...this is supposed to be a fun thing.

;)
07 Caldera Geneva

Bodyaches

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2005, 09:57:39 am »
Wow,
Cant wait to get my Diamondback Spa.

From Phoenix

Dick

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2005, 09:57:39 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42