What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Deck has been evaluated...  (Read 2860 times)

hoyas33

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Deck has been evaluated...
« on: July 27, 2005, 01:56:03 pm »
Hi there

Originally we were looking at tubs that could seat 5-6 people but we quickly found out that our deck wasn't big enough.  We were told nothing bigger than a 73x80 tub.  Can we get a 4 seater based on those measurements?

Good news is we do not have to reinforce the deck.  Just need the electrical done, and to choose a tub.

Finally, we don't want to spend more than 5k.  I am thinking we can now afford to get a decent 4 seater for this price, true?

Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Deck has been evaluated...
« on: July 27, 2005, 01:56:03 pm »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Deck has been evaluated...
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 02:23:59 pm »
Tiger River Sumatrian. 72X 72"  I would bet dollars to donuts that there are others too. :)

Oops. my math is worse than my spelling. That tub is 78 X78.
Sorry.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 02:26:23 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 04:34:16 pm »
Hi there

Originally we were looking at tubs that could seat 5-6 people but we quickly found out that our deck wasn't big enough.  We were told nothing bigger than a 73x80 tub.  

Umm, you really need to consider depth of the spa also as it equates to total weight. The deeper the spa the more weight from the water so its really about the total weight over the area of the spa not simply the LxW. Maybe whomever it was that told you this took into account a deep spa at that LxW to cover the bases but if not you might want to get the specs on the weight of the spa you like (filled of course with bodies in it) and double check it with this person before buying.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2005, 11:30:10 am by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 11:09:56 am »
If your size limitations are based on the deck's abilities to hold up the weight, I would get a second opinion.  There are many issues which will greatly change the weight of a tub, and one of them has just been mentioned: the height.

If your deck-checker is basing this size limitation on where the main beams of the deck are located, I would also get a second opinion: you can usually add a couple of two-by-eights or whatever size you need at the edges of the spa without a lot of effort. Depending on the design of your deck, you may not even need to set any additional posts to accomplish this.

I guess I just don't want to see you settle for less tub than you want for fear that bracing the deck is too big of a deal. It usually isn't much of a problem, but I haven't seen your deck.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

hoyas33

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005, 11:42:40 am »
The size limitation is due to the length and width of the deck itself.  Apparently it was built to withstand the weight of a tub...I think it is more a size issue rather than a weight issue.  

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2005, 04:35:11 pm »
Ah. That IS a bit tougher to overcome...

;)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2005, 04:35:11 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42