What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: *Comparing Tubs  (Read 6887 times)

Interplayfun

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
*Comparing Tubs
« on: July 07, 2005, 06:38:28 pm »
We are looking at 4 tubs (so far) having narrowed things down a bit, and I'm looking for some feedback from folks who are familiar with them.  First, we have a limited space for the tub (7'x7') so we are only looking at tubs that are 6.6x6.6 or a bit smaller.  We want the tub to comfortably accomodate 4 people.  Our short list includes:
*  The Caldera Cumberland
*  The Artesian Merlin
*  The Marquis Mirage
*  The Tiger River (Hot springs) Sumatran

Key questions:

*  What are advantages/disadvantages of 220-40 vs. 115 amp electrical
*  Is the ozonator worth it?
*  We want to put this spa on 4 inches of pea gravel interspersed with a couple of 4x4s . . . any comments on this method?
*  What about Micoban?  Is this essential?
*  Using Silver ions?  Yes/No?  Some say it makes for much clearer water??

Enough for now . . . thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

*Comparing Tubs
« on: July 07, 2005, 06:38:28 pm »

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
Re: *Comparing Tubs
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 06:43:26 pm »
We are looking at 4 tubs (so far) having narrowed things down a bit, and I'm looking for some feedback from folks who are familiar with them.  First, we have a limited space for the tub (7'x7') so we are only looking at tubs that are 6.6x6.6 or a bit smaller.  We want the tub to comfortably accomodate 4 people.  Our short list includes:
*  The Caldera Cumberland
*  The Artesian Merlin
*  The Marquis Mirage
*  The Tiger River (Hot springs) Sumatran

Key questions:

*  What are advantages/disadvantages of 220-40 vs. 115 amp electrical

220v will allow your heater to operate while the pump is on high speed. Nice in the winter, especially if you enjoy a long soak.
*  Is the ozonator worth it?

Debatable. Can you have nice water without? YES. Is it easier with one? YES. Wisocki will tell you what he thinks....
*  We want to put this spa on 4 inches of pea gravel interspersed with a couple of 4x4s . . . any comments on this method?

I would prefer 6"
*  What about Micoban?  Is this essential?
Again, debatable. Microban does not inhibit bacterial growth in the water, just in the acrylic.
*  Using Silver ions?  Yes/No?  Some say it makes for much clearer water??

I'll leave this for my American friends. Everyone here seems to think it works great

Homeworks Financing Representative

tootall

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005, 07:01:06 pm »
Ok micro ban is in more then Marquis spa shells. Micro ban is in surgical gowns, masks, sugical kits that go thru an autoclave. how do I know this my Wife is an RN and works around a hundred products that have micro ban in it. plus most people sleep on it its in pillows and mattresses.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2005, 07:05:00 pm »
Ok micro ban is in more then Marquis spa shells. Micro ban is in surgical gowns, masks, sugical kits that go thru an autoclave. how do I know this my Wife is an RN and works around a hundred products that have micro ban in it. plus most people sleep on it its in pillows and mattresses.

Your point?

It's in the tubs I sell too. They aren't Marquis.

That dosen't mean that an antibacterial agent in a non-porous material will sanitize the water....

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2005, 07:17:01 pm »
220v will heat your water 4 times faster than 115 volt.

What is on the bottom of the tubs?  If the tub has 2 x 4s on the bottom, you would want to make sure the 4 x 4s go perpendicular to them.  

Microban is not essential.  It should really have no bearing on what tub you buy.  

I have found the silver ions to be a great addition to your water chemistry program.  Just remember, you still need a sanitizer.

tootall

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2005, 09:48:13 pm »
yep Micro ban only prevents bacterial growth on the shell where the water and chemicals to always wash it. But it should never ever be the top selling point. Like Ohhhh micro ban I'll buy it. Buying a spa should in my opinon should be quality, costomer service befor during and after buying, talking with costomers that have bought the same brand from the same dealer. Wet testing it and then price.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2005, 10:08:39 pm »
Your point?

It's in the tubs I sell too. They aren't Marquis.

That dosen't mean that an antibacterial agent in a non-porous material will sanitize the water....

Does anyone try to sell it that way? I've never gotten that impression.  If anything I inferred that it would help keep the surface of the tub cleaner.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Kyle

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2005, 10:24:59 pm »
Ozone and silver are not necessary, however, I believe that it will help with maintenance.  Microban does work, but its not a necessity.  Maybe just peace of mind.  I would run 240 if your not concerned about added installation costs.

Interplayfun

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2005, 01:17:36 am »
Thanks for all the info folks.  Sounds like the Silver ion is worth it with the sanitizer.  Microban is not a big selling point for me . . . just an offer from manufacturers on some of the tubs . . . so it's good to know more about its use.  I'm also hearing that 240v is worth it for the convinience and this is not a problem for us as we already have two 20amp ciruits in the garden near where the tub will go . . . so we can run a 240v to the same location or perhaps convert the existing two into one.  Any comments on the tubs themselves, quality, manufacturer reputation, etc.?

Thanks again.

d

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2005, 05:23:09 am »
All those brands are good choices. I hold the same opinion of Microban as seems normal here, no biggy. 240 volt for sure. Silver IONS, no biggy. I use N2 and it does help to reduce sanitizer needs between uses in conjuntion with an O3 generator. But that's all reduce your waters needs for sanitizer, not eliminate it.
Retired

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2005, 07:55:56 am »
On July 7 HautTubeman wrote:

Debatable. Can you have nice water without? YES. Is it easier with one? YES. Wisocki will tell you what he thinks....

And my name was brought up because........? And again incorrectly spielt.
If you like it and you want it BUY IT!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2005, 09:05:34 am »
I agree with the 240v.  

I have a Cd ozinator. Those that sell them swear by them, others debate it.  I think it's a good idea.

I would like to be able to keep my tub as clean as possible while minimizing adding harsh skin iratating chemicals. So the ozinator was a plus for me.

The silver ion doo-hickey. I'm skeptical.  Yea, I bought one. It was $30 and supposedly last for 3 months. Once again, I am very interested in reducing the amount of harsh chems in my water. I didn't see too much of a risk in trying it.   I will probably not buy one in the following 3 months to see if there is any noticiable difference and continue to evaluate it.  

Microban? I wouldnt pay extra for this or make it a deciding factor.

I have a Tiger River Caspain and the quality of the unit is excellent.  

Hope that helps.
:D
« Last Edit: July 08, 2005, 09:07:35 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2005, 09:09:44 am »
On July 7 HautTubeman wrote:

And my name was brought up because........? And again incorrectly spielt.

LOL. WISOKI[/b] my apologies on the name, you feel quite strongly about this I see.

I brought up your name because I know you usually say ozone is BS, and I thought I knew if you read the thread you would say so.

I will refrain from referring to you by name in the future as not to upset you.

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2005, 09:46:45 am »
I was told that 240 service is cheaper to run as well.  I read somewhere that 110 costs a fortune for tubs.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2005, 11:02:19 am »
I was told that 240 service is cheaper to run as well.  I read somewhere that 110 costs a fortune for tubs.

Not always true. I have sold thousands of HotSpring and Tiger River tubs which were installed on 110. Fewer and fewer models are now convertable as HS moves towards 220 as standard and 110/convertable as an option, but I have plenty of them out there. They do not cost much to run - most of them are in the $15 per month range. I also sell tubs to people who are replacing poorly insulated tubs with bad covers which did, in fact, cost them a small fortune to run. They are always excited at the massive drop in operating costs.

What I'm saying is: electricians generally tell my customers that "220 costs less to run," but if they understood the whole picture they would say, "tubs which are poorly designed, poorly insulated, have poorly-fitted or flimsy covers, run big jet pumps for daily filtration and must run a larger pump whenever heating" will cost more to run.

HotSpring and many other makers use a small circ pump which runs all the time. So if the heater has to run 4 hours at 1500 watts it will cost you precisely the same as 6000 watts running for an hour. The running circ pump keeps the water equal temp all over, including in the plumbing - and that usually ends up saving money in operating costs.

Now, there are other reasons why 220 may be a better choice for you: larger jet pumps, faster heating. The latter really only matters after a water change since most tubs stay at temp all the time. And if you are going to need to run power all the way from one end of your yard to the other - as always seems to be the case - then you might as well run 220, you'll never be sorry you did.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2005, 11:02:19 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42