What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Pictures of the access panel floor  (Read 4484 times)

Payton3485

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
Pictures of the access panel floor
« on: July 07, 2005, 05:57:34 pm »
Here is a picture of the access panel drop floor that put in with the deck. It works great!!! It is almost impossible to tell where the drop floor starts and stops!!

Hot Tub Forum

Pictures of the access panel floor
« on: July 07, 2005, 05:57:34 pm »

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
Re: Pictures of the access panel floor
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 06:11:23 pm »
Payton it looks fantastic hun!!!!! I really like that deck too!!!! Congrats to you!

Payton3485

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005, 06:13:19 pm »
Thanks Backpains, I love your setup as well!! I love seeing everyone's unique setups and landscapes! We have very creative folks on the board here!!

J._McD

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2005, 07:24:23 pm »
Payton, your project has really turned out great, only a recommendation, but might I suggest cutting the edges of the deck inserts on an angle to accomodate an easy fit when putting the deck boards back in.  I am going to guess those deck board are rather heavy and they will be difficult to manipulate to get them in "square" when putting them back in.

Secondly, how ill you remove them or lift them out? ???

Payton3485

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2005, 07:34:01 pm »
Good point J._McD but this was all thought out  ;D. It does take two people to lift the area to access the panel but the total weight is less than 80lbs. It really is a breeze to take the panel off and put it back in. It sits in two sets of joists were it is supported. We tried picking it up several times with no problem. I will have to take a picture of it the next time we lift the panel up so you can see how the boards rests.

J._McD

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2005, 07:45:36 pm »
Good point J._McD but this was all thought out  ;D. It does take two people to lift the area to access the panel but the total weight is less than 80lbs. It really is a breeze to take the panel off and put it back in. It sits in two sets of joists were it is supported. We tried picking it up several times with no problem. I will have to take a picture of it the next time we lift the panel up so you can see how the boards rests.

All well and good, but with all due respect, the wood will swell up when wet and even freeze in the winter.  How will you pick up the trap door? ???

Payton3485

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2005, 07:51:25 pm »
Good point. We will definitely have to monitor it as the weather changes. So far so good but only time will tell for sure. The good thing is the guy who built our deck is a great friend so if there is any tweaking needed to be done, he is a short phone call away. He did account for the swelling of the boards and mentioned I should have no problem. We shall see  ;D

J._McD

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2005, 07:56:40 pm »
But answer me this, how will you pick it up?  I do not see any way to lift.  My service guys hate this because you (1 person) can't lift it "straight" up at both ends.  How do you get it started ??? ???

Payton3485

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2005, 07:59:03 pm »
Oh sorry, lol. Under the two plants are half-moon cut outs that are big enough to reach your hand through them and grab the bottom of the floor board. Once you grab hold, just lift up. You need two people to do lift the panel however.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2005, 08:02:30 pm »
If that is fresh pressure treated lumber (which it certainly looks like), it should shrink a bit as it dries.  I think you will be ok with the fit.
Nicely done!8)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2005, 08:03:25 pm by windsurfdog »
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Payton3485

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2005, 08:05:00 pm »
You are correct, it is pressure treated wood Windsurfdog and that is what our builder told me. He said it would shrink some and become easier to open as time passes.

J._McD

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2005, 08:07:50 pm »
Oh sorry, lol. Under the two plants are half-moon cut outs that are big enough to reach your hand through them and grab the bottom of the floor board. Once you grab hold, just lift up. You need two people to do lift the panel however.

As my customer, you would be upset if he used a screwdriver to pry it up and left a mark.  I don't know if it is a couple finger hole or a hand hole, but 80 pound is half my service guys weight.  He would have a potential problem with this, he is alone.  One thought is a rope handle that reside in that hole you have, that would at least give him something to grip.  

With all due respect, you friend is only a short call away, and it does take two to get the boards out, but the service guy has got a problem here and you don't want him leaving marks or damaging the deck.

I would mark this account with "homeowner MUST remove deck boards for service".  Because I don't want you mad at us for any disappointing marks.

If it's easy to do for 1 service guy it should be ok.

Just my HO.

Payton3485

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2005, 08:12:52 pm »
Thanks J._McD. The cut outs for lifting the panel are big enough to stick your whole arm through it actually so you get great leverage. It would definitely take two people to pick it up mainly due to the length of the board you are lifting but weight is no problem at all. Hopefully servicing the spa is at a bare minimum and with draining the spa 3-4 times a year, there should not be many times per year where we need to access the panel.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2005, 09:38:22 pm »
Looks good!

I was going to do something similar until I goofed with the measurements.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2005, 09:38:22 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42