What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Carpal tunnel ?? (SPELL)  (Read 6334 times)

joking103

• It's too cold!
Carpal tunnel ?? (SPELL)
« on: June 28, 2005, 07:03:07 am »
Anyone know if the tub helps this problem?  I see the Caldera has the wrist jets in one seat.  My husband can't even sleep at night his hand hurts so bad.  

Any thoughts??

Hot Tub Forum

Carpal tunnel ?? (SPELL)
« on: June 28, 2005, 07:03:07 am »

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
Re: Carpal tunnel ?? (SPELL)
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 07:58:57 am »
I have carpal, and yes, it seems to help!  Especially with my swelling!

I don't have wrist jets, I wet tested a Jacuzzi brand that had wrist jets, but they hit me on the palm of my hand!  Be sure and get your husband to wet test, that way he will know if the wrist jets "fit".  Although, I use other jets for wrist jets.  I just put my wrist up to them and let it do its thing!

Good luck!!!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 08:12:25 am »
Adding to what Lori said, my tub has these jets and they don't hit anyone the right way. (The only bad thing I will say about my tub is these two jets are worthless) In my opinion, the hot moving water teamed with using any jets you can get your wrist near, probably will help, but I don't see capal tunnel jets as a feature that sets any tub apart from any other.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 08:38:13 am »
Has he seen a doctor about this?  In some cases, not at all sure about carpal tunnel, if a doctor prescribes it there may be some tax advantages in purchasing a spa.
It would greatly depend on your specific tax situation, what state you live in, and a few other things, but if you get a spa anyway, at least look into it.
Brewman
Brewman

obi wan

• you're just jealous the voices only talk to ME!
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 09:20:02 am »
i have the niagra w/ the wrist jets. its a great tub, but those are the 2 jets that get the least use. in that seat i like the presure pretty strong, and they dont quite fit me either, but as stated above, try out any of the jets in the tub, by positioning yourself differently. i have found a way to get a great neck and shoulder massage in my tub, when the wife is "her" corner seat (the one with the neck jets, and wrist jets, back left).
my fav seat is the front right, its 4 large jets are about the strongest in the tub, and its a great back massage. all 4 are the jets chas mentioned that will spin by just moving the jet to one side. i have all of the jets in the tub with that feature set to spin, and that is one of the features i liked about the caldera tubs.
back to improvising though.......... by basically doing the back float, and keeping your head in the corner, the top 2 large jets are great for your neck and shouders as then they blast right onto  the break of my shoulders. very nice....
the volcanoi jet on the floor is also a great foot massage, lower leg, or any body part you care to put in its path......

ANY tub can have multiple uses, and each person will find different positions that feel good, so dont forget to experiment in your own tub, no matter what it is. dont feel like you must only "follow the instructions". for once in your life, you can really enjoy being in hot water... ;D ;D      

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 10:04:52 am »
From a February 2005 thread:

Hi All:

What I REALLY like about this board is the range of topics. It's not often I get to answer paramedic type questions anymore (I'm still a certified EMT-P), but I'll give it a shot. REMEMBER, I'm no Doctor (this advice is purely for entertainment purposes only), but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night (REALLY, I did!). The following is only OPINION :

The "Carpal Tunnel" is a bony, narrow passage where the hand and wrist meet on the same side of the palm.  The median nerve and tendons pass through this tunnel to the thumb, index, and middle fingers. "Carpal Tunnel Syndrome" (CTS) is caused by repetitive and stressful hand motions without variation or relief. This stresses the tendons, causing them to swell, pressing the nerve against the bone. In other words, PAIN!

CTS, in early stages, is really no different then common tendonitis. Stop re-injuring the site and the symptoms will go away. If re-injury is common, scar tissue develops causing permanent pressure on the nerve. This condition usually requires surgery.

Now, what about a hot tub? Well, as Chas indicated, hot water can be good. It loosens connective tissue (muscle and tendons) by easing contractility. If the water is hot enough, it also opens blood and lymph vessels meaning the vascular fluid (clear stuff) gets "third spaced" (flows into the area between the cells and "hangs out") meaning concentrated swelling in tendons (caused by the same fluid) will be reduced. Wrist pressure massage jets can assist with this because the hundreds or thousands of "water hammers" that hit the affected area reduce muscle contractility by relaxation and concentrating heat against tissue.

Now, here's the catch. If this is done in more advance stages of CTS, or when the symptoms are very fresh, the opposite effect can occur. To an extent, heat causes an initial increase in swelling (especially if the water is not "hot" enough to cause "third spacing") meaning that increased pain could occur. COLD, in the form of ice in a towel, is probably the BEST initial treatment. Motrin, for pain and anti-inflammatory use, will also help. Follow up with the hot tub after several hours for longer term relief.

Advanced CTS patients will probably feel no better from hot tub wrist jets, especially after recent stressing of the CTS wrist. Borderline CTS cases WILL benefit from continued use, BUT the BEST treatment is preventing the pattern of injury.

Again, I'd suggest talking to an Orthopedist for the best advice, but you got my 2 cents...

Drewski

8)

Good Luck!
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

joking103

• It's too cold!
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2005, 03:02:17 pm »

Thanks, nice response all!

A doctor told him he was a little too young for surgery, he is not old but he is 40 so I am not sure sure that's too young.  He also told him to wear a wrist brace at night.  I told him, forget at night, wear it while your working doing all the damage, maybe prevent it.  I'd like the tub to benefit him in some way since he has been doing it all just for me, (or to shut me up  ;)  Hee hee, I'd just like to see him get something from it too.  

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2005, 06:32:02 pm »
Though I don't suffer from CT, the spinner jets that normally offer therapy to the thigh areas in the Xtreme Therapy seat of my LSX provide most excellent wrist/hand therapy as well.  If you are looking for a tub that offers good CT therapy, try the LSX.  Good luck! 8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Lori

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2005, 08:28:49 pm »
Thanks, nice response all!

A doctor told him he was a little too young for surgery, he is not old but he is 40 so I am not sure sure that's too young.  He also told him to wear a wrist brace at night.  I told him, forget at night, wear it while your working doing all the damage, maybe prevent it.  I'd like the tub to benefit him in some way since he has been doing it all just for me, (or to shut me up  ;)  Hee hee, I'd just like to see him get something from it too.  

I sleep in a brace.  My dr. told me I wasn't a candidate for surgery (but witnessed my Mom's ct surgery and wouldn't want it anyway)!  If you sleep in a brace, it keeps your wrist in a certain position.  Without a brace, I find that I bend my wrist while I sleep, and the pain is worse the next day (as well as the swelling)!

Just my 2 pennies worth!

joking103

• It's too cold!
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2005, 09:16:28 am »
That is a good two cents! actually, I did tell him that I have a habit of curling up my wrist in my sleep and it was causing me problems during the day also, now I make and extra effort to keep the straight and flat.
But unlike him I have added some ergonomic tools for keyboarding at work too, keeps me straight all day.  That is what I was trying to stress to him, between drilling all day, Motor Cycle throttles, and what ever else he needs to be retrained to do these things with a straight wrist.  Then of course the he'll probably get burrsitis (spell) in his shoulder to make up for it.

I'm thinking the only real solution is to win the lotto and hang in the hot tub  ;D

Lori

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2005, 06:52:27 pm »
 I'm thinking the only real solution is to win the lotto and hang in the hot tub  ;D

I'm with you!  Too bad our Lotto is already broke, and it hasn't even started yet!  LOL!   ;)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2005, 06:52:27 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42