What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Started looking  (Read 3838 times)

mark 2550

Started looking
« on: June 28, 2005, 08:25:57 pm »
Like most I'm starting to look at spa's I have a few deler's in my town just trying to decide the pro's and con's of certain features and brands

Here are the local brands be offered in my are

1) Hot Springs
2) Tiger River
3) Great Lakes
4) L.A. Spa's
5) Marquis
6) Artesian
7) Caldera
8) Island spa's

I realize #1&2 are made by the same company as well as #6 & 8 so I visited each of the stores thinking one would jump out and say this is the one for me not so my question is to you that own spa's what's your view of full foam versus the other type of insulation and what type of feature's do you enjoy the most some spas have water fall handles,volcanic jets, neck jets, chrome jets, 1 motor versus 2 & 3 motors not going any farther at this time as the more I read the more confussed we become some brand names have read about some haven't found much info yet for my wife and I we liked 3 different models that had features we liked we are taking our time to make sure that end result will be comfortable, well constructed, solid, easy to work on, any comment's appreciated

Hot Tub Forum

Started looking
« on: June 28, 2005, 08:25:57 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Started looking
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 09:14:18 pm »
I own an Artesian Island Grand Cayman spa and it's been set up about a week.

Just a FYI there's Artesian Island spas and apparently Islander spas - 2 different companies.

As far as insulation, it's been debated forever and it's a non issue as long as you get a quality spa - both ways can be efficient or energy hungry.

As far as everything else - it really is a personal issue. I was going to get a black granite shell until I got the LED light then went with silver marble and I'm glad I did!

I pretty much wanted a spa for hydrotherapy. I didn't want bells and whistles. Besides getting the 56 jet/3 pump Cayman the only other frills are LED light and SS Escutcheons. I could have gotten waterfalls in my tub but I probably wouldn't use the spa for ambiance. So far in my limited experience I enjoy having powerful jets available.

Some things that are a must have (again this is my opinion) cover lifter, synthetic cabinet unless you will maintain the wood, I opted for the circ pump and better heater option.

One thing that I have a slight dislike for in my tub is the neck collar seat - I dry tested it, didn't wet test, and it fits differently wet. I can't get a back and neck message at the same time - I need to sit forward and lean back to get a neck message. It's not awfully bad but something i didn't think of or noticed at the time.

Remember the spa is going to be your spa and only YOU can determine which is correct for you.

Good luck!

Rayman

• KEEP ON TUBBING.....Bea chcomber owner
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 07:47:29 am »
One thing that I have a slight dislike for in my tub is the neck collar seat - I dry tested it, didn't wet test, and it fits differently wet. I can't get a back and neck message at the same time - I need to sit forward and lean back to get a neck message. It's not awfully bad but something i didn't think of or noticed at the time.

Remember the spa is going to be your spa and only YOU can determine which is correct for you.

Good luck!

I find the same thing with my tub (Beachcomber 750), I can't seem to fit for both neck and back in my favourite seat, I can however get back and neck in the "6pack" seat with neck jet which was my favourite seat when I wet tested.  Once I got it home I found the swing seat is a better conversation seat as my wife will seat in the opposite swing seat.  

Happy tubbing
Beachcomber 750, Brampton On Canada, GO LEAFS GO!!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 09:31:21 am »
Mark,

I have a new Tiger River Caspian. It differs from the Hot Spring models as HS have an "exclusive" motto jet system. It's pretty cool and definatly worth a look.

After sitting in my tub last night for the first time, I really enjoyed the footpod. This was a great choice for us, and a feature that I didn't see alot of on other tubs.

I opted for a tub without a lounger. It just didn't appeal to me. However, I was pleasently surprised to find that while sitting in the Caspian and letting my legs float over the pod allowed for a great back of leg, calf and ankle massage al-la  lounger effect

The other feature of the Tiger River Caspain I was happy with was the "cool off" seats. Surprisingly (to me), some tubs don't have these.  My tub gets used quite a bit in the winter and is outside. Many times myself or guests need a break from the heat, but don't want to leave the tub and/ or fully get out of tub (espically if the tub is surrounded in snow).  The cool off seats allow you to stay somewhat in the water,  but not get out or sit on the edge.  For me, cool off seats are a must for outdoor winter use.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 10:26:09 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 11:31:44 am »
what's your view of full foam versus the other type of insulation
some spas have water fall handles,volcanic jets, neck jets, chrome jets,

1 motor versus 2 & 3 motors

While I am a full foam proponent, don't sweat the insulation type too much as long as its well built, sturdy, etc.

I'm not much for waterfalls and I'm not a fan of "chrome" jets as they don't always hold up but the reality is some like them so to each his own.

Don't start counting motors (pumps). What counts is how well the plumbing is designed and how well the jets work. Some spas simply slap on a big motor and try to convince you theirs is better because they have more horsepower (BTW, you only care about continuous HP, NOT brake HP or BHP). Just concentrate on the feel of the jets, comfort of the spa, what kind of layout you like, etc. Wet testing you favorite 2 or 3 spas would be a good idea.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Ritz

• Vanguard 2004
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 11:58:53 am »
I agree with Drewstar - the cool down seats are a must - but you never hear anyone list that as a key item.  We use it a lot in winter weather, and even more in the summer.  I picked the Vanguard over the Grandee for the large cool down bench...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 11:58:53 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42