What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Used Spa Help  (Read 2924 times)

MNM53197

Used Spa Help
« on: June 28, 2005, 05:38:05 pm »
Hi, I have the option of buying a used spa and was wondering what you guys thought about it?  Good Deal, Bad Deal?
Cal Spa 1994 everything works $500.00
Traditional 8X8
Cedar siding looks ok

Hot Tub Forum

Used Spa Help
« on: June 28, 2005, 05:38:05 pm »

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
Re: Used Spa Help
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 06:01:29 pm »
Hi, I have the option of buying a used spa and was wondering what you guys thought about it?  Good Deal, Bad Deal?
Traditional 8X8
Cedar siding looks ok

Ok here is what I think you should look for:

Leaks is there any? Look at the motor, jets and see if they are all working properly, also you might want to think seriously about what your needs are for a hot tub, are you looking at theraputic?? are you just wanting a tub for entertaining?  If the tub has water in it make sure there aren't any surprises..unfortuntly a used hot tub is just that used...so remember if it's a lemon and you buy it, your going to be stuck with it

J._McD

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 06:01:37 pm »
How much do you value the $500 if it dosent work out? ???

It will get you started to see if you like it, or it will get ufrustrated if it dosen't work.  Is it up and runnig and does it work? ???
« Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 06:03:27 pm by J._McD »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 06:05:14 pm »
Traditional 8X8
Cedar siding looks ok

Seeing an 11 yr old spa run is key but it is not uncommon to find issues AFTER you move them. The last thing you want is to spend $500 on that age spa only to find you have to hire a service tech after you move it and it won't operate. Are you willing/able to attempt to fix any issues that arise after the move? If not I'd be very reluctant.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Soakin

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 06:13:35 pm »
My first thought is $500 and everything works, how can you go wrong?  My second thought is, do you have a way to move it, a place to put it, and electrical hook-up?  If not, you can multiply the $500 times 4 to get at your actual cost.  My third is why are they selling it? Be sure you aren't taking on somone else's problem.  Finally, be sure you are ready to handle the operating costs. They will add up to more than the purchase cost by the end of your second year.

Older used tubs values are determined by their condition and how they were maintained.  If major components like pumps or heaters were replaced recently, you could get years of enjoyment out of it.  If not, your bargain tub may not stay one for long.  Another factor to consider is your own ability to troubleshoot and fix problems.  If you will have to hire a technician to fix everything... again, this may not be a bargain.  Finally remember that most of these do not last forever -- you are getting it at the tail end of its life, and will likely have to dispose of it at some point.

That said, if you can be relatively comfortable that it is in good condition, I would jump on it.

p.s.  CalSpas takes a good amount of heat on this forum, but I wouldn't worry about the brand in a tub this old -- condition is much more important.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 06:16:22 pm by Soakin »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 06:15:30 pm »
This is all very good advice.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

MNM53197

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2005, 06:36:44 pm »
thanks this is great info.  they have owned this tub since new and haven't used it for a few years.  They have always kept it up.  chaging the water every 6 months. keeping the chems right.  everything seems to work all jets work, it has a new cover. The air blower isn't working said something about getting water in it. but I don't see the benefit of an air blower. The reason their selling is that they don't use it anymore and want the space in their backyard. And they are looking forward to not having to pay for electric to keep it heated. thanks again

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2005, 06:36:44 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42